THE CW ANNOUNCES 30 NEW LONG-TERM AFFILIATION AGREEMENTS
America's Fifth Broadcast Network Increases National Coverage
To More Than 74% Of The Country
Greenville-Spartanburg, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Roanoke, Syracuse,
Colorado Springs, Davenport, Charleston (SC), Greenville (NC), Peoria, Boise,
La Crosse, Chico, Amarillo, Rockford, Wausau, Columbia-Jefferson City, Sioux City, Salisbury, Bluefield-Beckley, Rochester-Mason City, Panama City, Odessa,
Idaho Falls, Quincy, Bowling Green, Meridian, Lima, Grand Junction and Helena
Are the Latest Markets To Be Served By The CW
The CW announced today that it has signed exclusive, long-term affiliation agreements with stations in Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, San Antonio, Jacksonville, Roanoke-Lynchburg, Syracuse, Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Davenport-Rock Island-Moline, Charleston (SC), Greenville-New Bern-Washington (NC), Peoria-Bloomington, Boise, La Crosse-Eau Claire, Chico-Redding, Amarillo, Rockford, Wausau-Rhinelander, Columbia-Jefferson City, Sioux City, Salisbury, Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill (WV), Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Panama City, Odessa-Midland, Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk, Bowling Green, Meridian, Lima, Grand Junction-Montrose and Helena.
The addition of the stations in these 30 markets -- which represent 6.55% of total U.S. TV households -- increases The CW's national coverage to more than 74% of the country, including 19 of the Top 20 markets and 26 of the Top 30.
The newly signed affiliates are:
* WASV Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC-Anderson, SC, owned by Media
General, Inc. (DMA rank #35)
* KBEJ San Antonio, TX, owned by Corridor Television, LLP and operated by Belo Corp.
under a Local Marketing Agreement. (DMA rank #37)
* WJWB Jacksonville, FL, owned by Media General, Inc. (DMA rank #52)
* WBVA Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA, owned by Grant Communications, Inc. (DMA rank #68)
* WSTQ Syracuse, NY, owned by Raycom Media, Inc. (DMA rank #76)
* KXTU, Colorado Springs-Pueblo, CO, owned by Raycom Media, Inc. (DMA rank #93)
* KGWB Davenport-Rock Island-Moline, IL, owned by Grant Communications, Inc. (DMA
* WCBD Charleston, SC, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Media General.
(DMA rank #101)
* WNCT Greenville-New Bern-Washington, NC, the digital station of the CBS affiliate owned by
Media General. (DMA rank #105)
* WHOI, Peoria-Bloomington, IL, the digital station of the ABC affiliate owned by Barrington
Broadcasting. (DMA rank #117)
* KNIN Boise, ID, owned by Banks Broadcasting, Inc. (DMA rank #119)
* WXOW & WQOW La Crosse, WI, the digital stations of the ABC affiliate owned by Quincy
Newspapers, Inc. (DMA rank #123)
* KHSL Chico-Redding, CA, the digital station of the CBS affiliate owned by Catamount
Holdings, LLC. (DMA rank #130)
* KVII Amarillo, TX, the digital station of the ABC affiliate owned by Barrington Broadcasting. (DMA rank #131)
* WREX Rockford, IL, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Quincy Newspapers,
Inc. (DMA rank #133)
* WAOW & WYOW Wausau-Rhinelander, WI, the digital stations of the ABC affiliate owned
by Quincy Newspapers, Inc. (DMA rank 134)
* KOMU Columbia-Jefferson City, MO, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by the
University of Missouri. (DMA rank #138)
* KTIV Sioux City, IA, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Quincy Newspapers, Inc.
(DMA rank #143)
* WMDT Salisbury, MD, the digital station of the ABC affiliate owned by Delmarva Broadcast
Service General Partnership. (DMA rank #148)
* WVVA Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill, WV, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by
Quincy Newspapers, Inc. (DMA rank #149)
* KTTC Rochester, MN-Mason City, IA-Austin, MN, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned
by Quincy Newspapers, Inc. (DMA rank #152)
* WJHG Panama City, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Gray Television, Inc.
(DMA rank #157)
* KWWT Odessa-Midland, TX, owned by Camino Real Communications, LLC. (DMA rank #159)
* KPIF Idaho Falls-Pocatello, ID, owned by KM Communications, Inc. (DMA rank #163)
* WGEM Quincy, IL-Hannibal, MO-Keokuk, IA, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by
Quincy Newspapers, Inc. (DMA rank #169)
* WBKO Bowling Green, OH, the digital station of the ABC affiliate owned by Gray Television, Inc.
(DMA rank #183)
* WTOK Meridian, MS, the digital station of the ABC affiliate owned by Gray Television, Inc.
(DMA rank #184)
* WLIO Lima, OH, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Block Communications, Inc.
(DMA rank # 185)
* KKCO Grand Junction-Montrose, CO, the digital station of the NBC affiliate owned by Gray
Television, Inc. (DMA rank #187)
* KMTF Helena, MT, owned by Rocky Mountain Broadcasting Company. (DMA rank #206)
WASV, KBEJ, WSTQ, KXTU and KNIN are currently affiliates of UPN. WJWB, WBVA, KGWB, WMDT-DT, KWWT, KPIF, WBKO-DT, WLIO-DT and KMTF are currently affiliates of The WB.
"We're very pleased to sign our first long-term multi-station affiliation agreements with Media General and Raycom Media, two of broadcasting's largest station owners, as well as with Grant Communications and Quincy Newspapers, companies whose strong entrepreneurial spirit is grounded in local station ownership," said John Maatta, Chief Operating Officer, The CW. "We're also adding to the number of Banks, Barrington, Belo, Block Communications and Gray stations in The CW fold, as well as sealing new deals with a number of other companies with whom we've previously partnered for The WB. All of these companies share our excitement and enthusiasm for the unique and exceptional programming and promotion opportunities that The CW creates for them."
Jim Zimmerman, President of the Broadcast Division, Media General, commented: "The success of any network is rooted in its programming and that's where The CW has a huge advantage. Its top management -- Leslie Moonves, Barry Meyer, Bruce Rosenblum, Nancy Tellem, Dawn Ostroff and John Maatta -- have all excelled at developing hit shows, nurturing them and giving them the support they need to grow. Knowing that their combined talents -- and those of their colleagues -- are working for our CW stations in Greenville-Spartanburg, Jacksonville, Charleston and Greenville gives added impetus and value to our multi-year affiliation agreements."
Milt Grant, President, Grant Communications, said: "What makes The CW such an attractive proposition for our company is that it's a classic win-win-win situation. We partner with a full-service network whose owners have an innate knowledge of all aspects of national and local broadcasting, our viewers will have just one destination point to find their favorite returning WB and UPN shows, and that program familiarity and one-stop shopping advantage is also going to play very well with our advertisers."
Thomas Oakley, President and Chief Executive Officer, Quincy Newspapers, Inc., noted: "The CW's programming, with its inherent appeal to young adult viewers, will lend itself well to our ongoing efforts to create convergence across our media properties in television, radio, newspapers and over the Internet. We appreciate this rare opportunity to affiliate with America's fifth broadcast network and to enhance the service we provide our viewers and our clients."
On January 24, CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment announced their intent to form a new 5th network, The CW, to be launched in the fall of 2006. The new broadcasting network will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, with each company owning 50%.
In an important strategic move that secures major market distribution for The CW, it was also announced on January 24th that Tribune Broadcasting and the CBS Corporation's UPN affiliates have agreed separately to sign 10-year affiliation agreements with the new network. The combination of Tribune's 16 major market stations (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Washington, D.C., Houston, Miami, Denver, St. Louis, Portland, Indianapolis, San Diego, Hartford, New Orleans and Albany) and the 11 CBS-owned UPN major market affiliates (Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Norfolk and Providence) cover the top 13 television markets, 20 of the top 25 television markets and have a total coverage area of more than 47% of the country.
The CW will incorporate The WB's current scheduling model, which consists of a 6 night-13 hour primetime lineup including Monday through Friday nights from 8-10 (EST/PST); Sundays from 7-10 (EST/PST); Sunday from 5-7 (EST/PST) outside of primetime as well as a Monday thru Friday afternoon block from 3-5 (EST/PST) and a 5-hour Saturday morning animation block. Together, the network will program 30 hours a week over seven days for its affiliated stations.
CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) is a mass media company with constituent parts that reach back to the beginnings of the broadcast industry, as well as newer businesses that operate on the leading edge of the media industry. The Company, through its many and varied operations, combines broad reach with well-positioned local businesses, all of which provide it with an extensive distribution network by which it serves audiences and advertisers in all 50 states and key international markets. It has operations in virtually every field of media and entertainment, including broadcast television (CBS and UPN), cable television (Showtime and CSTV Networks), local television (CBS Television Stations), television production and syndication (CBS Paramount Television and King World), radio (CBS Radio), advertising on out-of-home media (CBS Outdoor), publishing (Simon & Schuster), theme parks (Paramount Parks), digital media (CBS Digital Media Group and CSTV Networks) and consumer products (CBS Consumer Products). In Fall 2006, UPN will cease operations and The CW, a new fifth broadcast television network, will launch as a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation. For more information, log on to www.cbscorporation.com.
Warner Bros. Entertainment, a fully-integrated, broad-based entertainment company, is a global leader in the creation, production, distribution, licensing and marketing of all forms of entertainment and their related businesses. Warner Bros. Entertainment, a Time Warner Company, stands at the forefront of every aspect of the entertainment industry, from feature films to television, home video/DVD, animation, comic books, interactive entertainment and games, product and brand licensing, international cinemas and broadcasting.