[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/04/15 - 08:45 AM]
"Dateline NBC" Is the #1 Big 4 Telecast of the Night in Adults 18-49 and 25-54
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, July 3.

[07/04/15 - 08:37 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, NBC Share Demo Crown in Repeat Battle
CBS then is the most-watched network last night.

[07/03/15 - 08:54 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Original Showdown with "Big Brother"
The Eye leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[07/03/15 - 08:39 AM]
ABC's "Astronaut Wives Club" Improves Its Hour - "Rookie Blue" Holds 100% of Its Premiere
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, July 2.

[07/03/15 - 08:30 AM]
"Food Fighters" Ties for #2 in Its Time Period Among the Big 4 Networks in Adults 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, July 2.

[07/02/15 - 03:51 PM]
FOX Bursts Into San Diego Comic-Con with World Premiere Screenings and Panel Debuts of "Scream Queens," "Minority Report" and "Lucifer"
Panels for "Lucifer," "Minority Report" and "Bob's Burgers" will kick things off on Friday, July 10.

[07/02/15 - 01:59 PM]
Discovery Channel Delivers All New Digital Content and Social Media Action During "Shark Week 2015"
Sharkopedia - Discovery's ultimate digital guide to all things shark - makes its online debut this year.

[07/02/15 - 11:49 AM]
FOX Sports Expands FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Coverage with 30 Hours of Added Programming
Said additions include expanded pre- and post-game coverage of the championship match, a pair of marathons showcasing the U.S. Women's National Team's dramatic run to the final and more.

[07/02/15 - 11:06 AM]
The Biting Snark Continues on WE tv - Network's Second Annual "Snark Week" Featuring the Snarkiest Personalities and Shows Returns July 6-10
This year's on-air celebration includes biting one-liners from new episodes of WE tv's original series "Braxton Family Values," "Cutting It: In the ATL" and "Marriage Boot Camp Reality Stars."

[07/02/15 - 10:33 AM]
ABC's "The Chew" to Broadcast from the 20th Annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
The Emmy-winning lifestyle series will tape five shows on October 7-9 to air during the week of October 12-16.

[07/02/15 - 10:18 AM]
Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers Rank #1 for the Late-Night Second Quarter vs. Their ABC-CBS Competition in All Key Measures
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the second quarter of 2015.

[07/02/15 - 10:00 AM]
Donald Glover Pilot "Atlanta" Casts Its Leads as Production Gets Underway
Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz will co-star while Hiro Murai is set to direct.

[07/02/15 - 09:46 AM]
Season Three Premieres of the Hit Dramas "Ray Donovan" and "Masters of Sex" Are Available for Early Sampling
Viewers can sample the TV-14 rated premieres of both episodes for free now on YouTube and SHO.com.

[07/02/15 - 09:12 AM]
"Nightline" Wins 2Q15 in Total Viewers For Second Year in a Row, Leading in Four of the Last Five Quarters
ABC spins the late-night numbers for the second quarter of 2015.

[07/02/15 - 08:52 AM]
A+E Networks(R) Launches Lifetime(R) Movie Club(TM)
The subscription video service comes in time for the 25-year anniversary of Lifetime Movies and is available exclusively on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch at launch.