[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/01/14 - 10:01 AM]
Sunday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Demos with "Big Brother"
The show's latest installment is the night's number one program among adults 18-49.

[09/01/14 - 10:00 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: "Saturday Night Football" Returns on Top for ABC
The Alphabet leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[09/01/14 - 09:53 AM]
"Dateline Saturday Night Mystery" Matches Its Top 18-49 Rating Since July 26
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, August 30 and Sunday, August 31.

[08/30/14 - 09:09 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, NBC Split the Demo Crown
CBS then remains the most-watched network last night.

[08/30/14 - 08:52 AM]
NBC Ties for #1 for the Night in Adults 18-49 Among the Big 4 Networks
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, August 29.

[08/30/14 - 08:13 AM]
Kenny Chesney Welcomed Fans to the Georgia Theatre Last Night for a Surprise Show to Launch CMT's New Series "Instant Jam"
The concert is the first installment of the new series and premieres Saturday, September 27 at 10:00/9:00c.

[08/29/14 - 04:44 PM]
"Utopia" Streaming Video Access Begins Now on UtopiaTV.com 24/7!
Tune into the two-hour series premiere next Sunday, September 7 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/29/14 - 09:03 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: Another Week, Another "Big Brother" Victory
CBS leads the night once again among adults 18-49 and total viewers.

[08/29/14 - 08:10 AM]
Cast of FOX Sports 1's All-Female "The Ultimate Fighter(R)" Overcame Childhood Tragedies to Help Troubled Youth
The franchise's latest installment premieres Wednesday, September 10 at 10:00/9:00c.

[08/29/14 - 07:35 AM]
BBC America's "Intruders" Pulls 1.223 Million Viewers
BBC America further spins the numbers for Saturday, August 23.

[08/29/14 - 07:07 AM]
HBO Confirms Nov. 2 and 3 Debut for Miniseries "Olive Kitteridge"
Frances McDormand, Richard Jenkins, Bill Murray, John Gallagher, Jr., Peter Mullan, Rosemarie DeWitt and Zoe Kazan star in the project.

[08/29/14 - 06:41 AM]
FOX Sports 1 to Air Tony Stewart/Mike Helton Press Conferences Live
Coverage of the press conferences is also available through FOX Sports GO, the app that delivers streaming video of FOX Sports content.

[08/28/14 - 10:27 PM]
"Party Down South" Returns for Season 3 - Announced on the Reunion Special
Look for the new season in Winter 2015 on the cable channel.

[08/28/14 - 05:31 PM]
"Jay Leno's Garage: The Ultimate Car Week" Premieres Sunday, August 31 at 10PM ET/PT on CNBC
Based on his Emmy-winning web series "Jay Leno's Garage," this special takes viewers into the heart of Monterey Week, America's ultimate automotive event.

[08/28/14 - 02:21 PM]
"Live with Kelly and Michael" Enters Its 27th Season in National Syndication September 1, 2014
The show finished the 2013-14 season as the No. 2 syndicated talker in Households, posting an 8% gain over the prior year, and its highest Household rating in 6 years.