[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[01/23/17 - 01:30 PM]
Stephen Colbert to Host the "69th Primetime Emmy(R) Awards" Sunday, Sept. 17 on CBS
"This will be the largest audience to witness an Emmys, period," said Stephen Colbert. "Both in person and around the globe."

[01/23/17 - 01:01 PM]
HBO Confirms March Debut Dates for Special "Jerrod Carmichael: 8" and Second Season of "Animals."
Look for said events on Saturday, March 11 and Friday, March 17, respectively.

[01/23/17 - 12:57 PM]
2017 NFC Championship Game Delivers 46.422 Million Combined Viewers on FOX Broadcast Network, FOX Deportes & FOX Sports GO
FOX Sports spins the numbers for Sunday, January 22.

[01/23/17 - 12:21 PM]
Series Premiere of "Hunted" Is the Season's Highest Rated New Series Debut in Adults 18-49, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-34
CBS spins the numbers for Sunday, January 22.

[01/23/17 - 11:33 AM]
VH1's "Martha & Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party" Returns Monday, February 13 at 9PM ET/PT
Look for five additional episodes to roll out in successive weeks.

[01/23/17 - 11:10 AM]
Documentary "Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (Our Friends)," Chronicling the Band's Resilience in the Wake of the Paris Terror Attack, Debuts Feb. 13 on HBO
The film explores the deep bonds between band co-founders Jesse Hughes and Josh Homme, as well as the intense connection the band has always had with its devoted fans, which moved them to return to Paris to perform once again in February 2016.

[01/23/17 - 10:51 AM]
Refinery29 Announces the Return of Female-Focused Short Film Series Shatterbox Anthology, In Partnership with TNT
The Shatterbox Anthology series has become known for providing female filmmakers of all ages, levels of recognition, and years of experience, the opportunity to bring their stories and directorial visions to life.

[01/23/17 - 10:02 AM]
Season Two of OWN's Popular Drama Series "Greenleaf" Premieres Wednesday, March 15
The first eight episodes of the new season will debut on Wednesday, March 15 with the remaining eight due this summer.

[01/23/17 - 10:02 AM]
Freeform's February Funday Event Airs February 18 - 19
Freeform's Funday weekend features a horde of heroes from beloved Disney movies, including the premiere of Disney's "Big Hero 6."

[01/23/17 - 10:01 AM]
Freeform's Valentine's Day Weekend Programming Event Airs February 11 - 12
Highlights include the premiere of "What's Your Number?" and a special edition airing of "The Notebook."

[01/23/17 - 10:00 AM]
Jenny Ramirez Joins Turner as Vice President of Unscripted Programming for TBS & TNT
Ramirez joins TBS & TNT from Irwin Entertainment, where she served as both senior vice president of development and co-executive producer for the company's robust slate of NBC specials.

[01/23/17 - 09:54 AM]
"Teachers" Reaches Series Highs and Has Its Most-Watched Episode Ever
TV Land further spins the numbers for Tuesday, January 17.

[01/23/17 - 09:51 AM]
Video: Two New Promos for "FEUD: Bette and Joan," FX's New Anthology Series from Ryan Murphy
Catch the series premiere Sunday, March 5 on the cable channel.

[01/23/17 - 09:36 AM]
HGTV Renews "Desert Flippers" for a Second Season
The 10-episode season is set to premiere in June 2017.

[01/23/17 - 09:01 AM]
"Saturday Night Live" Returns in February with Back-to-Back Shows
On February 11, Alec Baldwin will return for his record-breaking 17th time as host.