[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[12/21/14 - 09:11 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Evening with "Thursday Night Football" Special
The Eye's primetime NFL coverage wins the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[12/21/14 - 08:56 AM]
"Saturday Night Live," With Host Amy Adams, Was the #1 Big 4 Non-Sports Telecast of the Night in Both Households and 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, December 20.

[12/20/14 - 09:00 AM]
NBC Ranks #1 Friday Night Among the Big 4 in Adults 18-49, Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and All Other Key Measures
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, December 19.

[12/20/14 - 08:47 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Tops Viewers, Demos with "Dateline"
The Peacock leads the night with its perennial newsmagazine.

[12/19/14 - 05:41 PM]
NBC Shuffles Its Friday Lineup; "Constantine" to Open Night
Beginning January 16, look for "Constantine" at 8:00/7:00c followed by "Grimm" at 9:00/8:00c and "Dateline NBC" at 10:00/9:00c.

[12/19/14 - 03:15 PM]
David Schwimmer Cast as Attorney Robert Kardashian in "American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson"
He'll join the previously announced Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson and Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark.

[12/19/14 - 12:47 PM]
"Whale Wars" Returns to Animal Planet January 2 with a World Premiere Three-Hour Event
Under legal siege, Captain Paul Watson is forced to hand the mission over to youthful veteran Peter Hammarstedt following a ruling from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

[12/19/14 - 11:58 AM]
Velocity and Discovery Channel Announce the On Air Team for Barrett-Jackson Live
Coverage begins Tuesday, January 13 from 6-8 PM ET on Discovery Channel and continues through Sunday, January 18 from 2-7 PM ET on Velocity.

[12/19/14 - 10:12 AM]
"Night Will Fall," Revealing the Untold Story of a 1945 Film Detailing Concentration-Camp Atrocities, Debuts Jan. 26, Exclusively on HBO
The film juxtaposes horrific raw footage and scenes from the 1945 documentary with insights from the survivors, the soldiers who liberated them and the filmmakers who recorded these appalling images.

[12/19/14 - 10:02 AM]
USA Network Announces Series Pick-Up for New Drama "Mr. Robot"
The series stars Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Portia Doubleday, Carly Chaikin and Martin Wallstrom.

[12/19/14 - 10:02 AM]
Starz Releases New Video and Image from "Outlander"
The release is part of Starz's 25 Days of #OutlanderOfferings that has been giving fans something extra special for the holidays to get them through the #Droughtlander.

[12/19/14 - 10:00 AM]
AMC Casts International Film Star Daniel Wu as Lead of "Badlands" (WT)
The series tells the story of a ruthless, well-trained warrior named Sunny (Wu) and a young boy who embark on a journey across a dangerous land to find enlightenment.

[12/19/14 - 09:20 AM]
"@midnight" Moves to 11:30 p.m. for Two Weeks Only; Comedy Central Premieres "Ari Shaffir: Paid Regular" and "This Is Not Happening" in January
The premiere episode of "This Is Not Happening" will be available on Amazon Instant Video on January 12 and in the Comedy Central App on January 13.

[12/19/14 - 08:41 AM]
"The People Magazine Awards" Generates NBC's Biggest Audience in Its Slot, Excluding "Peter Pan Live!" and NFL, Since October 23
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, December 18.

[12/19/14 - 08:39 AM]
Emmy(R)-Winning Series "Banshee" Returns for Third Season Jan. 9, Exclusively on Cinemax
New guest stars this season include Denis O'Hare, Chaske Spencer, Tom Pelphrey and Meaghan Rath.