[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/27/14 - 09:35 AM]
Video: Watch the Video of the Cast at the "Sleepy Hollow" Fan Experience
Nicole Beharie, Tom Mison, Orlando Jones, Katia Winter and Lyndie Greenwood talk about season two at the "Sleepy Hollow" Haunted Barn.

[07/26/14 - 10:47 PM]
Video: "Constantine" Preview Trailer
This hot new trailer was unveiled on Saturday, July 26.

[07/26/14 - 10:46 PM]
Video: New Warner Bros. Television & DC Comics Logos
Check out the cards for "The Flash," "Constantine," "Gotham" and "Arrow."

[07/26/14 - 10:45 PM]
Video: "Arrow" Season 3 Preview - with Ra's al Ghul!
Watch the newly extended first look at the new season!

[07/26/14 - 07:34 PM]
Video: "Person of Interest" Season 3 Highlight Reel and Season 4 Sneak Peek
Check out the sizzle reel from today's panel, including a first look at season four!

[07/26/14 - 07:33 PM]
Video: "Constantine" Bear McCreary Scoring Video
Highly acclaimed composer and Comic-Con favorite Bear McCreary scored the pilot episode and will also be the composer for the series.

[07/26/14 - 04:59 PM]
FOX Invites Fans to Create Their Own "Gotham" Origin-al Fan Posters or Cinematic Trailers
Fans should visit fox.com/gothamcontest to full details and to submit.

[07/26/14 - 04:24 PM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "The Simpsons" Panel Highlights
Plus: get your first look at the season premiere episode, "Clown in the Dumps."

[07/26/14 - 01:32 PM]
Video: Starz Releases Opening Title Sequence from "Outlander" Debuted at the San Diego Comic-Con World Premiere
The opening showcases never-before-seen footage from the series, along with an arrangement of the "Skye Boat Song" by composer Bear McCreary featuring the vocals of Raya Yarbrough.

[07/26/14 - 11:30 AM]
Disney XD Orders Second Season of Hit Animated Series "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" and "Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."
Both series are in production and slated to premiere this fall on Marvel Universe on Disney XD.

[07/26/14 - 09:52 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Sleepy Hollow" Panel Highlights
The cast of "Sleepy Hollow" all say what they would like to see happen in season two during the panel at Comic-Con.

[07/26/14 - 09:51 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Bob's Burgers" Panel Highlights
Is Louise ready for love? Would you eat at Bob's Burgers if it were a real restaurant? The fans ask the tough questions of the Bob's cast.

[07/26/14 - 09:50 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Wayward Pines" Panel Highlights
Executive Producer M. Night Shyamalan and star Matt Dillon share stories about FOX's intense new event series.

[07/26/14 - 09:49 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Bones" Panel Highlights
Join David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel as they tease the upcoming tenth season and Emily's upcoming directorial debut.

[07/25/14 - 07:06 PM]
Video: "The Originals" Season 2 First Look Video
After a fairytale recap, fans were treated to one mother of a first look at the upcoming second season to kick off the panel.