[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[08/01/15 - 11:35 AM]
2015 PBS Arts Fall Festival Celebrates Fifth Anniversary Season
The 2015 PBS Arts Fall Festival returns October 9 at 9:00/8:00c, celebrating its fifth season, with eight new weekly programs.

[08/01/15 - 11:25 AM]
Disney's "Descendants" Waves Magic Ratings Wand for Disney Channel with 6.6 Million Total Viewers
Disney Channel spins the numbers for Friday, July 31.

[08/01/15 - 09:50 AM]
New Episodes of "Super Why!" Soar Onto PBS Kids Starting August 17
Developed for children ages 3-6, the series helps kids explore reading and the alphabet, word families, spelling, comprehension and vocabulary as they follow their favorite Storybrook Village characters on interactive adventures.

[08/01/15 - 09:49 AM]
PBS Kids Premieres All-New Movie, "Curious George 3: Back to the Jungle"
In this adventure-filled feature-length movie, Curious George takes a trip to space but crash-lands in the jungles of Africa, leading to an unforgettable journey with new animal friends.

[08/01/15 - 08:54 AM]
Friday's "Dateline" Hits Three-Week Highs in 18-49 and Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, July 31.

[08/01/15 - 08:45 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: "Dateline" Powers NBC to Demo Victory
The Peacock leads the night among adults 18-49 for the fifth consecutive week.

[07/31/15 - 04:01 PM]
Raven-Symone Returns to Disney Channel to Guest Star in a Special Episode of Hit Spy Comedy "K.C. Undercover," Monday, September 7
The special one hour episode featuring a tour de force of audacious physical comedy, imagination and unexpected disguises, premieres on said Monday.

[07/31/15 - 03:50 PM]
The CW Sets New Season Premiere Date for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and "Jane the Virgin"
Both series will now roll out one week earlier, on Monday, October 12.

[07/31/15 - 03:33 PM]
AMC's Martial Arts Drama Series "Into the Badlands" to Premiere Sunday, November 15th at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT
The series premiere will coincide with AMC's newest movie event, "AMC FightFest," a two-week martial arts movie marathon beginning Monday, November 2 through Friday, November 13.

[07/31/15 - 03:32 PM]
AMC Confirms 15-Episode Order for Second Season of "Fear the Walking Dead"
As previously announced, the series will debut in the U.S. Sunday, August 23 at 9:00/8:00c with an extended 90-minute episode.

[07/31/15 - 03:31 PM]
AMC Places Straight-to-Series Order for "The West" (WT) from Executive Producers Robert Redford and Stephen David Entertainment
In addition, AMC announced today that "The Making of The Mob," also executive produced by Stephen David Entertainment.

[07/31/15 - 01:37 PM]
"Shadowhunters" Star Alberto Rosende to Participate in a Live Twitter Chat with Fans on Tuesday, August 4
Starting at 12:00pm PT/3:00pm ET, fans can tweet Alberto Rosende (@arosende) using #AskAlberto in their message.

[07/31/15 - 01:01 PM]
Starz Releases All New "Blunt Talk" Key Art and Trailer, First Look Photo of Lucy Lawless in "Ash vs Evil Dead," and "Survivor's Remorse" Trailer from TCA
"Blunt Talk" and "Survivor's Remorse" both kick off on Saturday, August 22 on the pay channel.

[07/31/15 - 11:58 AM]
BBC America Announces Two New Original Scripted Series and Original Scripted Development Slate
"Undercover", a gripping political thriller from acclaimed writer Peter Moffat starring Sophie Okonedo and Adrian Lester, and "Thirteen," a compelling contemporary mystery from rising star Marnie Dickens, are both on tap for 2016.

[07/31/15 - 11:20 AM]
Starz to Offer Subscribers Online and On-Demand Bingeing Opportunities for "Flesh and Bone" Limited Series and "Da Vinci's Demons" Final Season
All episodes will be available exclusively for subscribers, timed with their respective first episode premieres on October 24 and November 8.