[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/25/14 - 10:20 AM]
TLC Jumps Back Into the Competitive Spirit with a New Season of "Four Weddings"
The new season - premiering Friday, August 15 at 9:00/8:00c - kicks off with the show's 100th episode.

[07/25/14 - 10:10 AM]
Demi Lovato to Perform "Really Don't Care" with Cher Lloyd and Rita Ora to Perform "I Will Never Let You Down" on "Teen Choice 2014" Sunday, August 10, Live on FOX
Hilary Duff, Megan Fox, Fifth Harmony, Kevin Hart, Colton Haynes, Josh Hutcherson, Sarah Hyland, Kendall Jenner, Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, The Band Perry and Nat Wolff are now slated to appear.

[07/25/14 - 09:38 AM]
Great American Country to Go "Off the Map with Shannen & Holly"
Slated to premiere in 2015, the six-episode series follows actresses, former co-stars and real-life friends Shannen Doherty and Holly Marie Combs on a girls' road trip through the southeastern United States.

[07/25/14 - 08:40 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Big Brother" Continues Win Streak for CBS
The Eye has taken home top adults 18-49 honors for five straight weeks.

[07/25/14 - 08:23 AM]
"Last Comic Standing" Wins Its Timeslot in 18-49 and Most Key Demos
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, July 24.

[07/25/14 - 08:16 AM]
ABC's "Black Box" Finale Is Up and "NY Med" Tops Its Slot for the 5th Straight Week
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, July 24.

[07/25/14 - 07:47 AM]
Lucy Hale's Webisode Series, "The Road Between with Lucy Hale," Premieres Exclusively on LucyHale.CMT.com Today
The exclusive world broadcast and online premiere of Hale's video for "Lie A Little Better" hits CMT and MTV Tuesday, July 29.

[07/25/14 - 06:07 AM]
Amazon's Third Original Kids Series "Annedroids" Now Available on Prime Instant Video
Created by Emmy-nominated J.J. Johnson and Sinking Ship Entertainment, the series is aimed at children aged four through seven.

[07/24/14 - 07:32 PM]
Video: FOX Brings "Sleepy Hollow" to San Diego!
Fans can lose their heads at the "Sleepy Hollow" virtual reality experience at the Petco Interactive Zone.

[07/24/14 - 07:21 PM]
Video: FOX's "Gotham" Takes Over San Diego Comic-Con!
Fans can ride the "Gotham" Zip Line located between the Convention Center and the Hilton Bayfront Hotel Thursday through Sunday, from 10:00 AM-6:00 PM.

[07/24/14 - 04:20 PM]
Mayim Bialik to Host TV Land's "Candid Camera" Reboot, Premiering August 11th
Original episodes will also air Tuesday, August 12th; Wednesday, August 13th; and Thursday, August 14th at 8:00/7:00c.

[07/24/14 - 03:45 PM]
MTV Announces "Teen Wolf" Will Return for a 20-Episode Fifth Season
Additionally, the room was given a first-look at the mid-season trailer which is currently available to view on iPhone/iPad or Android via the MTV App.

[07/24/14 - 03:17 PM]
Video: Comic-Con First Look - "Moonbeam City" Comedy Central's Newest Animated Series
The series, debuting in 2015, is an absurdist take on the gritty, sex-drenched crime dramas from the 1980s.

[07/24/14 - 02:01 PM]
NBC to Wrap "Crossbones" Run on Saturday, August 2
The show's planned installments for Friday, August 1 and Friday, August 8 will now air on Saturday, August 2 starting at 8:00/7:00c.

[07/24/14 - 01:42 PM]
FOX Sports Delivers 23 Hours of Live Coverage from "Hot August Nights" Auction Presented by Barrett-Jackson
Bob Varsha leads a seven-member broadcast team, which includes Mike Joy, Steve Magnante, Ralph Sheheen, April Rose, Justin Bell and Tom Jensen.