[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/25/17 - 01:09 PM]
Legendary Survivalist Les Stroud Set to Return to TV in "Alaska's Grizzly Gauntlet" on Nat Geo WILD
"Les Stroud has inspired millions of people to explore the wild like no one else," said Geoff Daniels.

[07/25/17 - 01:08 PM]
National Geographic Begins Filming Season 2 of the Critically Acclaimed Series "Mars"
This second season's six-part arc jumps ahead several years into the future after the Daedalus astronauts have built a full-fledged colony - Olympus Town.

[07/25/17 - 01:07 PM]
National Geographic and Explorer-in-Residence James Cameron Mark 20th Anniversary of Blockbuster Film Titanic with One-Hour Documentary Global Event Special
"Titanic: 20th Anniversary" will look back at all the critical choices made during the film and put them to the test against a wealth of new sources - including new underwater footage, computer-generated simulation and scholarly research.

[07/25/17 - 01:06 PM]
National Geographic Honors Pioneering Primatologist's Legacy in "Dian Fossey: Secrets in the Mist," with Journal Entries Read by Sigourney Weaver
This is the story of one woman's extraordinary destiny, new insights into her murder and her battle to save the greatest primate on Earth.

[07/25/17 - 01:05 PM]
National Geographic Announces New Season of "StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson" Following Third Emmy(R) Nomination to Return in October
Each episode features an intimate interview between Tyson and a guest from pop culture, politics, sports or news, in which they discuss how science and technology have affected their lives and careers.

[07/25/17 - 01:04 PM]
Nat Geo WILD Unleashes the Wild Side of Costa Rica in New Season of Digital Series "Untamed"
In its second season, "Untamed" will give audiences an immersive experience into the most unique and unimaginable wildlife stories that Costa Rica has to offer.

[07/25/17 - 01:03 PM]
Nat Geo WILD Greenlights "The Road to Westminster," An All-Access Look at What It Takes to Be Best in Show
This is a peek behind the curtain of the Super Bowl for dogs.

[07/25/17 - 01:02 PM]
National Geographic, Martha Raddatz, and Lincoln Square Productions Announce Greenlight of Companion Documentary Special to Upcoming Drama "The Long Road Home"
"The Long Road Home" scripted series and its companion documentary special will air globally in November.

[07/25/17 - 01:01 PM]
National Geographic Documentary Films Presents "Diana: In Her Own Words"
The special weaves archival footage and photography with these rarely heard recordings and is the latest presentation under the National Geographic Documentary Films banner.

[07/25/17 - 11:04 AM]
Season Four of Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer's "Broad City" Premieres Wednesday, September 13 at 10:30 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central(R)
The series moves back from its previously announced Wednesday, August 23 premiere.

[07/25/17 - 11:03 AM]
Comedy Central Announces One-Hour Sketch Comedy Special from "Goatface" Comedy Quartet
Hasan Minhaj, Asif Ali, Fahim Anwar and Aristotle Athiras star in the special, which uses sharp, playful sketch work to satirize a vast spectrum of topics including sports, music, politics, media, family relations, social issues and more.

[07/25/17 - 11:02 AM]
Comedy Central Announces Series Extension for "The President Show"
Beginning Thursday, September 28, "The President Show" will premiere at midnight, following new late night series "The Opposition with Jordan Klepper."

[07/25/17 - 11:01 AM]
Comedy Central(R) Announces Series Extension for "The Jim Jefferies Show"
After a brief hiatus, new episodes from this extension will begin on Tuesday, September 19 following the fall season premiere of "Tosh.0."

[07/25/17 - 11:00 AM]
"The Opposition with Jordan Klepper" - Comedy Central's Newest Late Night Series Launches Monday, September 25 at 11:30 P.M. ET/PT
The series will satirize the hyperbolic, conspiracy-laden noise machine that is the alternative-media landscape on both the right and left.

[07/25/17 - 10:59 AM]
Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Trevor Noah" to Tape in Chicago for a Special Week of Shows from October 16-19 at the Athenaeum Theatre
Said stunt is entitled "The Daily Show Undesked Chicago 2017: Let's Do This Before It Gets Too Damn Cold."