[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/26/15 - 03:37 PM]
"Texas Rising" Ropes in 4.1 Million Viewers
History spins the numbers for Monday, May 25.

[05/26/15 - 02:24 PM]
Western Conference Finals Game 4 on ESPN is Most-Watched Game of 2015 NBA Playoffs
ESPN further spins the numbers for Monday, May 25.

[05/26/15 - 01:27 PM]
Award-Winning "What Would You Do?" Returns - New Shows Begin Airing Friday, May 29 at 9:00 P.M. on ABC
This season, the show travels to San Antonio, Texas, John Quiñones' hometown, with surprising scenario outcomes that will be featured on an upcoming hour.

[05/26/15 - 01:18 PM]
ABC Family's "Young & Hungry" Hits a New Series High in Adults 18-34 and Season Highs in Other Key Demos
ABC Family further spins the numbers for Wednesday, May 20.

[05/26/15 - 01:09 PM]
OWN's Hit Tyler Perry Drama "The Haves and the Have Nots" and Popular Sitcom "Love Thy Neighbor" Return with All-New Episodes This June
Said efforts return on Tuesday, June 30 and Friday, June 26, respectively.

[05/26/15 - 12:48 PM]
espnW to Premiere Documentary Series Highlighting Elite Female Athletes - espnW Originals: What Makes Us
The series is produced in collaboration with the sibling directing team, the Mundo Sisters, who previously directed the popular espnW Original Nine for IX Short: Rowdy Ronda Rousey.

[05/26/15 - 12:41 PM]
Women's College World Series: Top 8 National Seeds Compete; ESPN Televises for 15th Consecutive Year
The eight teams will play in a double-elimination tournament (May 28-31) in which two teams will advance to a best-of-three Women's College World Series Championship Series (June 1-3).

[05/26/15 - 12:38 PM]
Adult Swim Presents "The Virtual Brainload" in Partnership with WEVR
Previously only available as an in-person experiential activation with the Meatwad Fulldome Experience, The Virtual Brainload meets fans where they are with a dazzling animated presentation that gives a special glimpse of the backside of reality.

[05/26/15 - 12:30 PM]
The Second Season of the Acclaimed Showtime(R) Series "Ray Donovan" Starring Liev Schreiber Is on Sale Now
Season three will premiere on Sunday, July 12 at 9:00/8:00c on the pay channel.

[05/26/15 - 12:02 PM]
The Broadcast Television Journalists Association Announces Critics' Choice Television Awards Most Exciting New Series Honorees and Presenters
The honorees were chosen by BTJA members from pilots, early episodes and trailers from series premiering after May 1.

[05/26/15 - 11:28 AM]
E! Cashes in on the Outrageous Lifestyles of Newly Minted Millionaires with Premiere of "New Money"
The newcomer will premiere Friday, May 29 at 10:30/9:30c following "The Soup."

[05/26/15 - 11:17 AM]
Lives Change with One Knock at the Door on New Unscripted Series "Knock Knock Live," Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, Premiering Tuesday, July 21, on FOX
The new unscripted series is "a can't-miss, life-changing weekly television event packed with unpredictable and thrilling surprises that enlists friends, families, neighbors and celebrities to help grant wishes with one simple knock on the door."

[05/26/15 - 10:47 AM]
"Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night" Primetime Specials Return to ABC During the NBA Finals
These special edition episodes will air in primetime every night of the NBA Finals beginning with Game 1, Thursday, June 4.

[05/26/15 - 10:31 AM]
The NBA's Funniest Moments to Be Featured on Disney XD with "NBA Slam Funk!"
The three 15-minute specials will include the NBA's best game action bloopers, fan and mascot antics, circus shots, and player outtakes.

[05/26/15 - 10:00 AM]
TV Land Continues Evolution with Two New Original Series, "The Jim Gaffigan Show" and "Impastor," Premiering on Wednesday, July 15th at 10PM ET/PT and 10:30PM ET/PT
Fan favorite "The Exes" will also be returning on July 15th at 11pm ET/PT.