[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/23/14 - 04:07 PM]
"Lauren Lake's Paternity Court" Soars During Its Premiere
Orion TV Productions spins the numbers for Monday, September 22.

[09/23/14 - 03:55 PM]
Animal Planet Renews Friday Night Series "Treehouse Masters" and "Redwood Kings"
The former will return in January 2015 with 10 episodes while the latter is due back in the spring with 10 original episodes.

[09/23/14 - 02:51 PM]
"Saving Africa's Giants with Yao Ming" Premieres November 18 on Animal Planet; Narrated by Edward Norton
This announcement comes in conjunction with the 2014 Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) Annual Meeting in New York and the organization's Commitment to Action to Save African Elephants.

[09/23/14 - 12:51 PM]
"Naked and Afraid" Season Finale #1 Unscripted Program in All of Cable Sunday
Discovery spins the numbers for Sunday, September 21.

[09/23/14 - 12:37 PM]
Starz in Black Debuts the U.S. Television Premiere of the Film, "Half of a Yellow Sun" Starring Emmy(R), Oscar(R) and Golden Globe(R) Nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor, on Sunday, September 28th at 10PM ET/PT
The film centers around the diverging destinies of two sisters, Olanna (played by Thandie Newton) and Kainene (played by Anika Noni Rose) who are glamorous twins from a wealthy Nigerian family.

[09/23/14 - 12:06 PM]
"Iyanla: Fix My Life" Delivers 1.15 Million Viewers Saturday Night on OWN
OWN spins the numbers for Saturday, September 20.

[09/23/14 - 12:01 PM]
History Premieres New Season of Hit Series "The Curse of Oak Island" & Premieres Brand New Series "Search for the Lost Giants"
Look for both series on Tuesday nights at 9:00/8:00c and 10:00/9:00c, respectively, beginning November 4.

[09/23/14 - 11:44 AM]
How You Doin'? Better Now That "Friends" Is Returning to TV Land Monday, September 29th
Viewers can tune in to TV Land every night to see their six best "Friends" beginning Monday, September 29 at 11:00/10:00c.

[09/23/14 - 11:26 AM]
Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn Confirmed to Star in the Second Season of HBO's "True Detective"; Justin Lin Set to Direct First Two Episodes
The eight-episode hour-long drama is set to begin production later this fall in California.

[09/23/14 - 11:17 AM]
TBS Marks Its Fourth Consecutive Week as Basic Cable's Top Entertainment Network with Adults 18-49 in Primetime
Turner spins the numbers for the week of September 15-21.

[09/23/14 - 11:11 AM]
Nickelodeon Wins Week, Locks Top Shows Across All Kid Demos
Nickelodeon spins the numbers for the week of September 15-21.

[09/23/14 - 11:03 AM]
Family of Preachers Opens Progressive Church in the Bible Belt on New TLC Series "Preaching Alabama"
The all-new six-part series premieres Tuesday, October 7 at 10:00/9:00c on the cable channel.

[09/23/14 - 10:28 AM]
A Third Season of the "Nashville"-Inspired Docu-Web Series, "On the Record," Returns to ABC Music Lounge Featuring Original Music from the Popular Drama "Nashville"
First up: Charles Esten and Deana Carter get together for an intimate discussion on the song they co-wrote for "Nashville's" season premiere, "I Know How To Love You Now."

[09/23/14 - 10:20 AM]
"Scorpion" Is Monday's Top New Program, with 14 Million Viewers and 3.3 Rating in Adults 18-49
CBS spins the numbers for Monday, September 22.

[09/23/14 - 10:04 AM]
New Seasons of "Auction Hunters" and "Thrift Hunters" Premiere Saturday, October 11!
Both series will air back-to-back beginning at 9:00/8:00c.