[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/24/14 - 08:07 PM]
Seth Meyers Named Host of "66th Primetime Emmy(R) Awards"
Award-winning director and producer Don Mischer will serve as executive producer, producing with Mischer will be Charlie Haykel and Julianne Hare.

[04/24/14 - 03:30 PM]
BET Networks Announces New Programming and Partnerships at Annual Upfront Presentation
Returning series include "Being Mary Jane," "The Game" and "Real Husbands of Hollywood."

[04/24/14 - 03:25 PM]
Starz Original Drama "Flesh and Bone" Starts Production
Get your first look at the eight-episode series, which follows a young ballet dancer with a distinctly troubled past, as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York.

[04/24/14 - 03:00 PM]
Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Modern Family" Reclaims Top Spot in Viewers, Demos
Plus: numbers for Discovery's "Marooned," Comedy Central's "TripTank" and VH1's "The Fabulous Life of..."

[04/24/14 - 02:48 PM]
Discovery Channel to Air "Everest Avalanche Tragedy" on Sunday, May 4
The 90-minute special will include unprecedented access and eyewitness accounts from the rescue and recovery efforts that took place after the avalanche struck the Khumbu Icefall.

[04/24/14 - 02:00 PM]
MTV Announces Summer Schedule at 2014 Upfront Today Including: New Series, Returning Hits and New Music Documentary
Returning series include "Teen Wolf," "Ridiculousness," "Snooki & JWOWW," "Real World" and "Girl Code."

[04/24/14 - 12:51 PM]
"Rebel Road" Premieres on Discovery Channel Monday, April 28th at 10PM
The one-hour special follows a subculture of car mechanics who are building mind-blowing vehicles that look like something out of another place and time.

[04/24/14 - 12:32 PM]
ESPN Commentators for the 2014 NFL Draft
Round 1 will feature host Chris Berman joined by analysts Jon Gruden, Mel Kiper Jr. and Ray Lewis, who will make his NFL Draft debut.

[04/24/14 - 11:46 AM]
The Final Season of "The Killing" Premieres Only on Netflix
Linden and Holder return for one final season exclusively on Netflix in all territories, August 1.

[04/24/14 - 11:35 AM]
"Food Network Star" Returns for Tenth Season with New Cast of Contenders and More Intense Culinary Challenges
The show's 10th season premieres Sunday, June 1 at 9:00/8:00c on the cable channel.

[04/24/14 - 11:34 AM]
USA Network Fans to Vote on Favorite Character-Driven "Suits" Episodes Ahead of Socially-Charged "Suits After Hours" Marathon on Friday, June 6
Said stunt is timed to premiere the show's fourth season launch on Wednesday, June 11 at 9:00/8:00c.

[04/24/14 - 11:31 AM]
E! Special Compares the Latest in Celebrity Fashion and Beauty When "Who Wore It Better?" Premieres Wednesday, April 30th at 8:00 PM ET/PT Only on E!
Catt Sadler and George Kotsiopoulos host the half-hour special.

[04/24/14 - 11:28 AM]
Video: New Trailer for TBS's "CeeLo Green's The Good Life"
The newcomer launches Monday, June 23 at 10:30/9:30c on the network.

[04/24/14 - 11:20 AM]
Myles Turner, No. 2 Basketball Recruit, to Announce College Selection on ESPNU
Recruiting director Paul Biancardi, recruiting analyst Gerry Hamilton and host Matt Schick will anchor the telecast.

[04/24/14 - 10:42 AM]
Video: TNT's "The Last Ship" - New Extended Trailer
The new drama, from executive producer Michael Bay, premieres Sunday, June 22 at 9:00/8:00c on the network.