[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[08/21/14 - 01:35 PM]
GSN Greenlights Season Four of Emmy(R) Nominated Hit Series "The Chase" and Season Two of Matchmaking Show "It Takes a Church"
Both seasons - of 20 and eight episodes, respectively - will air in 2015.

[08/21/14 - 12:54 PM]
WE tv Is Getting in the Box - The "Sex Box" - Network Greenlights First-Ever Extreme Relationship Therapy Series for 2015 Premiere
The first season will feature nine, one-hour episodes.

[08/21/14 - 12:08 PM]
It's Manzo Mania! Caroline and Family Return with Series Premiere of Bravo Media's "Manzo'd with Children"
"The Real Housewives of New Jersey" spin-off will premiere with back-to-back episodes on Sunday, October 5 at 9:00/8:00c.

[08/21/14 - 11:18 AM]
The Hub Network's App Is Honored with the National Parenting Center Seal of Approval
In its review of the Hub Network's app, The National Parenting Center praised the app for its wholesome entertainment, interactivity and the manner in which it is organized.

[08/21/14 - 11:11 AM]
The Search for the Next "MasterChef" Begins with Open Casting Calls Starting Saturday, September 13
Calls are set for New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Cleveland, San Diego, San Antonio, Memphis and New Orleans in the coming weeks.

[08/21/14 - 11:07 AM]
"The Tonight Show" Sets Nine-Week Highs in 18-49 Demo and Total Viewers for Week of Aug. 11-15
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the week of August 11-15.

[08/21/14 - 11:06 AM]
Breeders' Cup Challenge Series Features Travers Stakes on Saturday at 4:30 PM ET on NBC and TVG Pacific Classic on Sunday at 8 P.M. ET on NBCSN
The Travers and the Pacific Classic will be the sixth and seventh shows, respectively, of 11 programs in the Challenge Series leading to the Breeders' Cup World Championships on NBC and NBCSN, October 31-November 1.

[08/21/14 - 10:51 AM]
Video: "Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways" - Trailer (HBO)
The eight-part documentary series premieres Friday, October 17 at 11:00/10:00c.

[08/21/14 - 10:45 AM]
Maria Bello, Olympia Dukakis and Joan Jett Star in "Big Driver" - Original Movie Based on Short Story by Stephen King - Premieres October 18 on Lifetime(R)
The film tells the story of a young novelist hell-bent on revenge after falling victim to a brutal crime.

[08/21/14 - 10:42 AM]
Go Under the Covers with Discovery Fit & Health for Sextember, A Month-Long Exploration of Sex in America
Every weeknight at 10:00/9:00c beginning September 1, the network will encore provocative programming from Discovery's complete library of content.

[08/21/14 - 10:41 AM]
"Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories" Premieres Thursday, September 18th at 12:15 a.m. (ET/PT) on Adult Swim
Each episode offers a unique tale: dark, horrifying, perverse, insane... hilarious - featuring a wide array of comedic and dramatic guest stars.

[08/21/14 - 10:12 AM]
"Rebuilding the World Trade Center" - Marcus Robinson's Poignant Film Chronicles 8 Years of Construction; Premieres Thursday, September 11, at 6 p.m. on History
The two-hour special - eight years in the making, from laying of the first foundation to triumphantly topping the gleaming new 104-story One World Trade Center with its spire - focuses on the construction workers who performed the Herculean task.

[08/21/14 - 10:08 AM]
Showtime 2014 Fall Programming Overview
Dramas "Homeland" and "The Affair" will spearhead said lineup on Sunday nights.

[08/21/14 - 10:02 AM]
Spike TV Announces More Leading Characters for "Tut" Event Series
Nonso Anozie, Sibylla Deen, Kylie Bunbury, Alexander Siddig, Peter Gadiot and Iddo Goldberg are among the latest to join the project.

[08/21/14 - 09:02 AM]
TNT Lands Rights to Lionsgate's Hunger Games and Divergent Franchises
The Hunger Games is slated to air on TNT for the first time in winter 2015, and the network will add the second installment, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, in winter 2016.