[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[10/21/14 - 03:02 PM]
Season Premiere of TBS's "American Dad!" Tops Basic Cable Entertainment Programs for the Night
TBS spins the numbers for Monday, October 20.

[10/21/14 - 02:19 PM]
Chris Brown, Jodeci, Jeremih and More Confirmed to Take the Stage During "Soul Train Awards 2014"
Presenters Trey Songz, Boris Kodjoe, Laila Ali and Wolf Blitzer will join host Wendy Williams on stage at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas on November 7, for a November 30 air date.

[10/21/14 - 02:18 PM]
"Monday Night Football" Helps ESPN Win the Night
ESPN spins the numbers for Monday, October 20.

[10/21/14 - 01:28 PM]
VH1 and Spotify Partner to Crown "You Oughta Know Artist of the Year" at 2nd Annual "You Oughta Know Live in Concert" Event on Thursday, November 13 at 9 PM ET/PT on VH1
A Great Big World, Aloe Blacc, American Authors, Bleachers, CHVRCHES, Echosmith, KONGOS, Mary Lambert, Tove Lo, Vance Joy, and Sam Smith are among the class of 2014.

[10/21/14 - 12:57 PM]
Notre Dame-Florida State: Most-Viewed October College Football Telecast across All Networks on Record
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, October 18.

[10/21/14 - 12:40 PM]
Hallmark Channel Original Movie, "My Boyfriends' Dogs," Elevates Network to Rate #1 Among Households in Primetime
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, October 18.

[10/21/14 - 12:09 PM]
The CW Announces Full Season Orders for "The Flash" and "Jane the Virgin"
"The Flash" debuted as the most-watched series premiere ever on The CW, scoring 6.1 million viewers in Live + 3 Day Nielsen ratings.

[10/21/14 - 11:55 AM]
FX Cancels "The Bridge" After Two Seasons
The network has released a statement indicating the series won't be returning.

[10/21/14 - 11:29 AM]
TBS Leads the Pack as Basic Cable's #1 Entertainment Network Among Total Viewers in Primetime and Ranking Among the Top 3 with Adults 18-49
Turner spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:50 AM]
NBC Wins the Week of Oct. 13-19 Among the Big 4 in 18-49 and Every Other Key Demo
NBC spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:43 AM]
ABC Ranks No. 1 in the Non-Sports Adult 18-49 Averages, Delivering 6 of the Week's Top 20 TV Programs - The Most for Any Net
ABC spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:42 AM]
"Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2014," Returns to ABC Primetime December 14, 9-11 PM ET
Oprah Winfrey, Neil Patrick Harris, Chelsea Handler and Scarlett Johansson are among those selected for the annual special.

[10/21/14 - 10:39 AM]
TLC Orders New Series Hosted by Roma Downey
The six-episode series will explore the stories of people who claim that they've experienced modern-day miracles, incredible twists of fate, and phenomena that logic and science cannot explain.

[10/21/14 - 10:24 AM]
CBS Wins Fourth Straight Week to Start the Season
CBS spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:19 AM]
Nickelodeon Wins the Week with Kids and Total Viewers
Nickelodeon spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.