[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[08/23/16 - 01:17 PM]
Showtime(R) Presents "Martin Lawrence Doin' Time: Uncut"
Filmed live at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, the special showcases Lawrence's impeccable comedic skills, physicality and engaging wit.

[08/23/16 - 12:45 PM]
Viceland's Season Two Renewals & New Shows
Newcomer "Abandoned," hosted by legendary skateboarder Rick McCrank, premieres Friday, September 2.

[08/23/16 - 12:37 PM]
El Rey Network Signs Rey Mysterio Jr. to First-Look Deal
Mysterio joined El Rey Network's "Lucha Underground" during the second season and will appear in the upcoming third season premiering on El Rey Network on September 7.

[08/23/16 - 12:06 PM]
Explore the Universe's Most Complex Mysteries in the All-New Season of "NASA's Unexplained Files" Returning to Science Channel on Tuesday, August 30
The series features astronauts, scientists, and others who attempt to decode abnormalities caught on camera.

[08/23/16 - 11:20 AM]
Netflix Announces Premiere Dates for New Line-Up of Original Stand-up Comedy Specials
Cedric the Entertainer, Russell Peters, Joe Rogan, Dana Carvey, Colin Quinn, Michael Che, Reggie Watts and Gabriel Iglesias are among the featured auspices.

[08/23/16 - 11:19 AM]
Starz Original Series "Power" and "Survivor's Remorse" Continue Record-Breaking Third Seasons in Week 6
Starz spins the numbers for the season to date.

[08/23/16 - 10:40 AM]
Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale" Casting - Joseph Fiennes
A founding father of Gilead and powerful, high-ranking official, Commander Waterford rules the household where Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a handmaid.

[08/23/16 - 09:40 AM]
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and TEGNA Media Strike Distribution Deal for Syndicated Talk Series "T.D. Jakes"
70 affiliates will premiere the show locally on September 12, followed by OWN's launch of the show on Monday, September 19.

[08/23/16 - 09:31 AM]
Disney XD's "Milo Murphy's Law," Starring Al Yankovic, to Premiere Monday, October 3
The series follows 13-year-old Milo Murphy, the fictional great-great-great-great grandson of the Murphy's Law namesake.

[08/23/16 - 09:00 AM]
Toby Keith and Blake Shelton Added to the All-Star Lineup for the "10th Annual ACM Honors(TM)," Which Makes Its Television Debut Friday, Sept. 9, on CBS
They will join previously announced performers Dierks Bentley and Keith Urban in a special tribute to country music icon Glen Campbell, who will be honored with the ACM Career Achievement Award.

[08/23/16 - 08:37 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: "Ninja Warrior," "Running Wild" Return on Top for NBC
The Peacock keeps its win streak alive post-Olympics among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[08/23/16 - 08:10 AM]
New Smithsonian Channel(TM) Series Explores World's Most Hallowed Shrines, Temples and Monuments - "Sacred Sites" - Premieres Monday, September 12 at 8PM ET/PT
Smithsonian Channel will offer fascinating new perspectives on some of the world's most remarkable and mysterious religious locations in the new five-episode series.

[08/23/16 - 08:01 AM]
"Counting On" Returns to TLC with Young Love and New Adventures
The all-new 10 episode series premieres tonight: Tuesday, August 23 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/23/16 - 08:00 AM]
CBS Sports Announces Broadcast Pairings for 2016 NFL Season
The CBS Television Network begins its 57th year of broadcasting the NFL with Jim Nantz, Phil Simms and Tracy Wolfson leading the 2016 season.

[08/23/16 - 07:44 AM]
Video: Netflix Releases Brand New Trailer & Key Art for "Narcos" Season Two
All 10 episodes of Season Two will launch Friday September 2, exclusively on Netflix.