[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/18/17 - 12:46 PM]
Showtime(R) to Premiere "George Michael: Freedom" on Saturday, October 21 at 9 PM ET/PT
Filmed before Michael's untimely passing, the documentary is narrated by the singer, who was heavily involved in the making of the film that serves as his final work.

[09/18/17 - 12:09 PM]
HGTV Orders 20 New Episodes of Hit Series "Love It or List It"
During its last season run, "Love It or List It" delivered its highest series ratings since 2013.

[09/18/17 - 10:29 AM]
First Look of Michael Sheen as Aziraphale and David Tennant as Crowley in "Good Omens"
Filming has begun on Amazon Prime Video's upcoming six-part series.

[09/18/17 - 10:25 AM]
Born-and-Bred Southerners Damaris Phillips and Rutledge Wood Share Their Favorite Down-Home Food Spots in "Southern and Hungry"
Food expert Damaris Phillips and NASCAR personality Rutledge Wood are obsessed with everything Southern, especially the food and the people behind it.

[09/18/17 - 08:39 AM]
Beaming Out Across All of Space and Time, "StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson" Returns Sunday, Oct. 1, at 11/10c
Stephen Hawking, Stephen Colbert, Jane Goodall, Kevin Smith and Katy Perry are among the initial guests.

[09/18/17 - 08:28 AM]
Sunday's Broadcast Ratings: NFL on NBC, FOX Overshadow Emmys on CBS
The annual telecast is down 16% in early results among adults 18-49.

[09/18/17 - 07:09 AM]
"Monsters Inside Me" Returns to Animal Planet for a New Fear Inducing Season Featuring All New Invaders
Season eight reveals some never before seen invaders causing the most gruesome cases yet with victims of deadly attackers such as parasites, viruses, bacteria, foreign objects and fungi.

[09/18/17 - 07:00 AM]
Oh Snap, Pop's '90s Babes Are Back for Second Season of "Hollywood Darlings"
Renewed for a second season, the television comedy starring Jodie Sweetin, Christine Lakin and Beverley Mitchell will begin production this fall.

[09/17/17 - 08:00 PM]
Complete Listing of 69th Emmy(R) Awards Winners
"The Handmaid's Tale" takes home Outstanding Drama Series while "Veep" is honored as Outstanding Comedy Series.

[09/17/17 - 09:06 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: College Football Continues Its Reign for ABC
The Alphabet once again wins the night among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[09/16/17 - 08:35 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Splits Demo Crown with NBC
The Eye gets another bump on the night from a special edition of "Big Brother."

[09/15/17 - 02:28 PM]
Comedy Central's Eight-Day "South Park" Marathon Leads to Big Ratings and a Big Season 21 Premiere
Comedy Central spins the numbers for the week of September 6-13.

[09/15/17 - 02:06 PM]
"The Orville" Posts FOX's Largest Drama Premiere Since "Empire" in Live+3 Ratings and Multi-Platform Viewers
FOX further spins the numbers for Sunday, September 10.

[09/15/17 - 01:33 PM]
David Madden Named President of Original Programming for AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios
Madden joins AMC from Fox, where he has been president of entertainment for the Fox broadcast network since 2014.

[09/15/17 - 12:15 PM]
Amazon Original Series "The Romanoffs," Created by Matthew Weiner, Sets Additional Guest Cast
Corey Stoll, Andrew Rannells, Mike Doyle, J.J. Feild, Janet Montgomery and Paul Reiser are the latest on tap.