[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/20/19 - 08:41 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Tops Adults 18-49 with NBA Playoffs
The Alphabet wins the demo crown however a repeat driven CBS is the most-watched broadcaster.

[04/19/19 - 10:07 AM]
Bravo Media Returns to the Big Easy When "Southern Charm New Orleans" Premieres Sunday, June 2 at 9PM ET/PT
Returning socialites include Tamica Lee, Barry Smith, Reagan Charleston, Jeff Charleston, Justin Reese, Jon Moody, Rachel McKenzie and Kelsey Nichols.

[04/19/19 - 09:23 AM]
YouTube Greenlights "Retro Tech" Starring YouTube Creator Marques Brownlee
The six-episode unscripted series will debut on Marques' YouTube channel this December.

[04/19/19 - 09:00 AM]
Music's Biggest Event for Families Returns For Its Seventh Year, Live for the First Time and With a New Name: "ARDYs: A Radio Disney Music Celebration," Sunday, June 16
For the first time, it will be a live telecast, originating from Los Angeles, on Disney Channel and in DisneyNOW, with a simulcast on Radio Disney.

[04/19/19 - 08:12 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "The Big Bang Theory" Tops Charts for CBS
The Eye takes home victories in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[04/19/19 - 08:01 AM]
Video: Trailer Debut - Get the First Look at Footage from Ava DuVernay's "When They See Us"
Based on a true story that gripped the country, the four part limited series will chronicle the notorious case of five teenagers of color, labeled the Central Park Five, who were convicted of a rape they did not commit.

[04/18/19 - 09:00 PM]
Jimmy Kimmel Brings an Unforgettable Night of Television to ABC with "Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's 'All in the Family' and 'The Jeffersons,'" Wednesday, May 22
Ellie Kemper, Jamie Foxx, Justina Machado, Marisa Tomei, Wanda Sykes, Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson are among those slated to appear.

[04/18/19 - 05:07 PM]
"Still Laugh-In: The Stars Celebrate" Will Launch Globally on Netflix Tuesday, May 14th
The special, which was taped at Hollywood's Dolby Theater, is filled with an elite lineup of talent paying homage to the iconic show and its director/producer George Schlatter with modern takes on timeless moments.

[04/18/19 - 04:45 PM]
NBC Shifts Two of Its Tuesday Series by Moving "The Village" to 8 p.m. and "The Voice" to 9 p.m.
The five-week change will begin April 23 and conclude May 21.

[04/18/19 - 12:15 PM]
ABC Slots "Bless This Mess" Pilot Encore in Advance of Second Episode
Look for its debut installment at 8:30/7:30c this Tuesday, April 23 (in place of "The Kids Are Alright") followed by a new episode at 9:30/8:30c.

[04/18/19 - 11:57 AM]
Lifetime Reveals Royal Slate in Celebration of Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's First Wedding Anniversary
Said offerings are timed with the premiere of "Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal" on Memorial Day, Monday, May 27 at 8:00/7:00c.

[04/18/19 - 11:00 AM]
Lauren Corrao Joins Freeform as Executive Vice President, Original Programming and Development
Most recently she was co-president of Tornante TV, an independent studio owned by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner.

[04/18/19 - 11:00 AM]
FOX Renews "Last Man Standing," Starring Tim Allen, for the 2019-2020 Season
"Hard to believe 'Last Man Standing' hits 150 episodes this week and it gets better with another upcoming season at FOX!" said Allen.

[04/18/19 - 10:44 AM]
Governor Cuomo Announces Netflix Will Expand New York Presence with New Production Hub in New York City
The production hub will include an expanded office in Manhattan and six sound stages in Brooklyn with the capacity to hold thousands of production crew jobs within five years.

[04/18/19 - 10:17 AM]
It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's "Krypton" Season 2 on Syfy June 12 at 10PM
Plus: the brand new, full-length trailer puts a spotlight on villains, both familiar and new, as the fate of our much-loved heroes is threatened once more.