[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[01/25/15 - 10:00 AM]
Video: Starz Releases Opening Scene from the First Episode of "Outlander's" Return
The series returns to the cable channel on Saturday, April 4 at 9:00/8:00c.

[01/25/15 - 08:43 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: UFC Leads FOX to Top Demo Spot
CBS then is the most-watched network last night.

[01/25/15 - 08:31 AM]
"Saturday Night Live" with Host Blake Shelton Is the #2 "SNL" So Far This Season in Metered-Market Households
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, January 24.

[01/24/15 - 08:50 AM]
"Constantine" Delivers Its Most-Watched Episode Since November 21
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, January 23.

[01/24/15 - 08:37 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, CBS and NBC All Share Demo Crown
Repeats of "Blue Bloods" and "Shark Tank" lead the night in total viewers and adults 18-49, respectively.

[01/24/15 - 08:33 AM]
ABC's Encore "Shark Tank" Is Friday's #1 Show in Adults 18-49 - Most-Watched-Ever Repeat for the Show
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, January 23.

[01/23/15 - 01:09 PM]
New MTV Study, "Millennials Have Drive," Reveals Millennials Love Their Cars More Than Social Media and Texting
Today's results represent the first wave of research coming from Viacom's brands in the car category.

[01/23/15 - 12:19 PM]
"Our Little Family" Joins the TLC Lineup This February
The newcomer launches Tuesday, February 17 at 10:00/9:00c on the cable channel.

[01/23/15 - 11:24 AM]
Fox Sports Provides Extended On-Site Coverage From Arizona For Super Bowl XLIX
In anticipation of the championship showdown, FOX Sports has all hands on deck, providing comprehensive on-site coverage for the week's festivities in Arizona.

[01/23/15 - 10:46 AM]
Video: Starz Releases First Video Tease of Seth MacFarlane and Jonathan Ames' "Blunt Talk" Starring Patrick Stewart
Due this summer, the series is a live action character-driven comedy set in the competitive cable news arena and following a most eccentric TV personality and his crew.

[01/23/15 - 10:43 AM]
Animal Planet Dives Head First Into "Insane Pools: Off the Deep End," A New Series Premiering Friday, February 20
The six-episode series follows Lucas Congdon as he turns high and dry homes into exotic waterfront properties through grand, nature-inspired designs to encourage his clients to rediscover their love of the outdoors.

[01/23/15 - 10:38 AM]
"The Tonight Show" Outperforms ABC, CBS Timeslot Competition for Week of Jan. 12-16
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the week of January 12-16.

[01/23/15 - 10:23 AM]
"Nightline" Is #1 for the Week, #1 in Total Viewers 12 of Last 13 Weeks
ABC spins the late-night numbers for the week of January 12-16.

[01/23/15 - 09:17 AM]
History(R) Premieres Brand New Series "Legend of the Superstition Mountains"
The series, due on Sunday, February 8 at 10:00/9:00c, follows five brave treasure hunters as they seek to unearth the secrets of the Lost Dutchman's gold.

[01/23/15 - 08:57 AM]
NFL Legend Ray Lewis Tackles Coaches with Anger Issues When "Coaching Bad" Premieres Sunday, February 8 at 10 PM ET/PT on Spike TV
Lewis and acclaimed anger management specialist and author Dr. Christian Conte will work with nine coaches who have recognized that they need to change their combative and often bombastic ways if they want to continue in the profession they love.