[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[12/10/19 - 01:05 PM]
Hulu Premieres Historic Docuseries "Hillary" at Sundance Film Festival
The new captivating four-part docuseries premieres exclusively on Hulu Friday, March 6.

[12/10/19 - 12:17 PM]
Food Network Orders a Second, Bigger Serving of the Year's Top-Rated Series "Buddy vs. Duff"
Production begins this week on the eight-episode second season of the competition will challenge every aspect of what it means to be a true pastry artist and cake master.

[12/10/19 - 12:01 PM]
Showtime(R) Announces Features on Two Legendary Groups: New Order and Duran Duran
Look for both films to air back-to-back on Friday, December 27.

[12/10/19 - 11:59 AM]
Video: "Spinning Out" - Official Trailer - Netflix
After a devastating fall threatens her competitive skating career, Kat Baker seizes an opportunity to pursue her Olympic dreams, but at the risk of losing everything.

[12/10/19 - 10:30 AM]
"The Irishman" Was Watched by 26,404,081 Accounts Globally - Within Its First 7 Days on Netflix
The streaming service dropped another viewership number on social media this morning.

[12/10/19 - 10:13 AM]
Oxygen Premieres New Series "Murdered by Morning" Sunday, January 19 at 7PM ET/PT
Each episode follows the true story of a victim whose night took an unexpected turn, resulting in a horrific homicide.

[12/10/19 - 10:02 AM]
Video: "The Circle" - A Netflix Reality-Competition - Official Trailer - Netflix
Truth, lies, and influencer ties - players will be whoever and do whatever it takes to win in "The Circle," a new reality-competition series, streaming January 1.

[12/10/19 - 10:01 AM]
Jennifer Hudson, John Legend, Raphael Saadiq, Sting, Stormzy, Chris Martin and H.E.R. to Perform on NBC's "Global Citizen Prize" Special
Connie Britton, Emma Bunton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Jason Derulo, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Leona Lewis, Himesh Patel and Kal Penn will be among those presenting awards throughout the special and acknowledging the world's most inspiring people.

[12/10/19 - 09:00 AM]
Literary Giants Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman Sign Overall Production Agreement with CBS Television Studios
Chabon is currently attached to "Star Trek: Picard" as executive producer and will remain with the series until he transitions full-time to showrunner of "Kavalier and Clay" sometime next year.

[12/10/19 - 08:31 AM]
Video: "Disenchantment" - Part 3 Announcement - Netflix
The streaming service teases the animated comedy's return in 2020.

[12/10/19 - 08:20 AM]
Bravo Media Renews Emmy(TM) Award-Nominated "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen" Through 2021
"I keep waiting to stop having fun - or run out of guests, stories or booze; but the party rolls on and I couldn't be more excited!" said Cohen.

[12/10/19 - 08:16 AM]
Multiplatinum Selling Artists Sheryl Crow and Usher to Perform Live From the Allstate(R) Fan Fest in New Orleans During "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2020"
As previously announced, Billy Porter will host the Central Time Zone celebration from New Orleans, providing viewers with exclusive performances and interviews leading up to the countdown, plus stunning fleur-de-lis drop at midnight to ring in the New Year.

[12/10/19 - 08:15 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "The Voice" Hold Onto Top Spots
The network takes home top honors in total viewers and adults 18-49.

[12/10/19 - 07:33 AM]
NBC Drops Digital Exclusive Series "New Amsterdam: Day 1," The Origin Story of Dr. Goodwin's 'How Can I Help? Mantra
Meet the other doctors and staff through these short vignettes and uncover the hopes and struggles of our soon-to-be Dam Fam while also getting a front row seat on how a life can change in a split second and when least expected.

[12/10/19 - 06:03 AM]
Paul McCartney's "High in the Clouds" to Be Adapted by Netflix and Gaumont
The animated feature is based on the popular children's adventure novel of the same title by McCartney and Geoff Dunbar, and Philip Ardagh.