[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/24/16 - 11:16 AM]
FOX Hit Dramas - "Gotham" and "Lucifer" - See Significant Gains in Live + 3
FOX further spins the numbers for Monday, September 19.

[09/24/16 - 10:06 AM]
Monday's "The Good Place" Is the Week's Top Debut Half-Hour of a New Comedy in Live + 3
NBC further spins the numbers for Monday, September 19.

[09/24/16 - 08:48 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: "MacGyver" Debuts on Top for CBS
The Eye's reboot leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[09/23/16 - 02:31 PM]
"Superstore" Is Stocking Up! NBC Orders Full Second Season
NBC's crowd-pleasing comedy "Superstore" has added nine more episodes to its inventory bringing the season total to 22.

[09/23/16 - 12:21 PM]
Oxygen Media Presents "Snapped: Notorious - The Menendez Brothers" Premiering Sunday, October 2nd from 9PM - 11PM ET/PT
Oxygen Media will take an unflinching look at the Menendez Brothers' case, from their privileged upbringing, to the shocking details of their savage crime, to the ongoing debate that asks: Are the brothers monsters? Or are they victims of parental abuse?

[09/23/16 - 12:18 PM]
Video: "Shameless" Season Seven Premiere Available Now Across Multiple Platforms
Said installment comes in advance of its linear premiere on Sunday, October 2.

[09/23/16 - 11:10 AM]
Showtime(R) Presents "Sebastian Maniscalco: Why Would You Do That?"
Directed by Joe Demaio, written by Maniscalco and filmed live at New York City's famed Beacon Theatre during one of the seven sold-out shows on his 2016 tour, the hour-long special is chock-full of skepticism.

[09/23/16 - 10:06 AM]
Freeform Greenlights Development on Late-Night Series with Comedian Iliza Shlesinger
"A late-night show has been THE goal for me and I'm ready to throw my hat into the ring," said Shlesinger.

[09/23/16 - 10:03 AM]
AMC Renews Travel Docu-Series "Ride with Norman Reedus" Featuring Star of "The Walking Dead" for Second Season
Season two will consist of six one-hour episodes featuring "The Walking Dead" actor and motorcycle and travel enthusiast Reedus as he takes viewers back on the open road to journey to amazing places and sample local cultures.

[09/23/16 - 09:54 AM]
Comedy Central Announces Slate of Stand-Up Specials Filming This Fall with Comedians Lewis Black, Kurt Braunohler, Joe DeRosa, Mark Normand and Roy Wood Jr.
"Lewis Black: Black to the Future" kicks things off on Friday, October 7.

[09/23/16 - 08:41 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS, NFL Stifle Its Competition
ABC's "Notorious" (1.2) and FOX's "Pitch" (1.1) are outshined by the Eye's football coverage in adults 18-49.

[09/23/16 - 08:29 AM]
BBC America Takeover at New York Comic Con Launches First Ever Panels at the Theater at Madison Square Garden
The takeover features panels and a world premiere screening with the casts and creators of "Doctor Who," new original series "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and new "Doctor Who" spin-off, "Class."

[09/23/16 - 07:43 AM]
Superstar Illusionist Criss Angel Returns to A&E with A One-Hour Special "Criss Angel Trick'd Up" Premiering Wednesday, October 12 at 9PM ET/PT
Celebrated worldwide as the "Magician of the Century," renowned illusionist Criss Angel dares to transcend boundaries once again.

[09/23/16 - 07:13 AM]
Season Two of WE tv's Hit Series "Growing Up Hip Hop" Premieres Thursday, October 13th, 10pm ET/PT
Hip Hop royalty Angela Simmons, Romeo Miller, Damon "Boogie" Dash, Kristinia DeBarge, TJ Mizell and Egypt Criss all return for a drama filled season where shocking truths are finally revealed, changing the lives of this tight-knit group of friends forever

[09/22/16 - 02:37 PM]
"Saturday Night Live" Premieres with Margot Robbie and The Weeknd
Robbie can currently be seen starring as Harley Quinn in the hugely successful blockbuster hit "Suicide Squad."