[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[06/22/18 - 12:59 PM]
E!'s "Total Bellas" Hits Another Series High Pulling in Over 1.2 Million Total Viewers and 11% Increase Among W18-49
E! further spins the numbers for Sunday, June 17.

[06/22/18 - 11:56 AM]
Snoop Dogg, Ledisi, Marsha Ambrosius, Sly Pyper, Tye Tribbett to Perform and John Legend, Tyra Banks, Terry Crews, Anderson.Paak, Lakeith Stanfield to Present at "BET Awards" 2018 with Appearances by DJ Khaled, Wale and More
Hosted by Jamie Foxx, the "BET Awards" 2018 will air live on Sunday, June 24 at 8 pm ET from the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, CA on BET.

[06/22/18 - 11:00 AM]
All-New Special "iHeartCountry Festival," Celebrating the Best in Country Music, To Air Sunday, August 5, on FOX
Filmed at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, the event will feature performances by Luke Bryan, Keith Urban, Sugarland, Dustin Lynch, Cole Swindell, Maren Morris, Luke Combs, Billy Currington, Dan + Shay and Mason Ramsey, among others.

[06/22/18 - 10:08 AM]
Carlos Saldanha and Netflix Will Unveil "Invisible Cities," New Brazilian Original Series
In the series, there is an underground world inhabited by mythical creatures evolved from a deep lineage of Brazilian folklore.

[06/22/18 - 08:25 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Repeats Top Original Competition
The Eye wins the night in total viewers, shares the adults 18-49 crown with FOX.

[06/22/18 - 08:14 AM]
NBC Cancels "Timeless," Eyes Wrap Up Movie
Executive producer Shawn Ryan confirmed both developments this morning.

[06/22/18 - 08:00 AM]
Video: Trailer for Netflix Film "How It Ends" - Starring Theo James, Forest Whitaker and Kat Graham
As a mysterious apocalypse causes the spread of misinformation and violence, a man and his estranged father-in-law race across a chaotic and fractured country to save his pregnant wife.

[06/22/18 - 06:08 AM]
"The Terror," AMC's First Anthology Series, Renewed for a Second Season
The next iteration of "The Terror" anthology will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific.

[06/21/18 - 06:03 PM]
A Message from The Order of X - "Dear White People" Vol. 3 Renewal
"Dear White People" is a send-up of the now post "post-racial" America that weaves together a universal story of finding one's own identity and forging a wholly unique path.

[06/21/18 - 05:30 PM]
ABC Picks Up "The Conners" (Working Title) Straight to Series to Premiere This Fall
The series, featuring John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman as their beloved Conner characters, is set to air Tuesdays (8:00-8:30 p.m.).

[06/21/18 - 03:04 PM]
Marco Pigossi Comes to Netflix
Pigossi joins the main cast of "Tidelands," a supernatural crime drama, and the first Australian Netflix original series.

[06/21/18 - 02:49 PM]
Felicity Huffman Joins Angela Bassett and Patricia Arquette in "Otherhood" for Netflix
Cindy Chupack is directing the film, which is based on William Sutcliffe's novel "Whatever Makes You Happy."

[06/21/18 - 02:09 PM]
Netflix Makes Overall Deal with Steven S. DeKnight
Most recently, he was the writer and director on his first feature film "Pacific Rim Uprising."

[06/21/18 - 02:02 PM]
New Season of Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures" Kicks Off with Record-Setting Ratings
Travel Channel further spins the numbers for Saturday, June 16.

[06/21/18 - 11:31 AM]
Lifetime Greenlights Trio of Movies from Global Best-Selling Author Jane Green for 2019 Movie Event
The first film in the series, "Tempting Fate," will star Alyssa Milano and begins production today in Vancouver.