[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/26/18 - 02:01 PM]
CBS Announces the First Season of "Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition," Premiering Friday, May 11
Gabby Douglas, Idina Menzel, Bethany Mota and Deion Sanders are among those featured.

[04/26/18 - 01:45 PM]
Oxygen Media Presents Three-Night Special Event "The Case of: Caylee Anthony" Beginning Saturday, May 19 at 8PM ET/PT
From Emmy Award-winning executive producer Tom Forman, the three-part limited series delves into the tragic disappearance and death of toddler Caylee Anthony.

[04/26/18 - 10:03 AM]
Showtime(R) Orders Fourth Season of "Billions"
The show's current third season will move to 9:00/8:00c starting next Sunday, May 6 to anchor the night.

[04/26/18 - 10:02 AM]
"Succession" Debuts June 3 on HBO
Brian Cox, Jeremy Strong, Hiam Abbass, Sarah Snook, Kieran Culkin, Alan Ruck, Nicholas Braun, Matthew Macfadyen, Natalie Gold, Peter Friedman and Rob Yang star.

[04/26/18 - 10:01 AM]
Thrusters on Full - "Star Trek: Discovery" Begins Production on Season 2
Production officially began last week on the second season with Alex Kurtzman directing the premiere episode.

[04/26/18 - 09:33 AM]
"Saturday Night Live's" Colin Jost and Michael Che to Host 70th Primetime Emmy(R) Awards
The telecast will be executive produced by "SNL" creator and executive producer Lorne Michaels.

[04/26/18 - 09:07 AM]
Video: Paramount Network's "Yellowstone" Official Trailer - Premieres Wednesday, June 20 at 9:00pm ET/PT
Kevin Costner as John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, under constant attack by those it borders - land developers, an Indian reservation, and America's first National Park.

[04/26/18 - 09:02 AM]
Ocean Explorers Philippe and Ashlan Cousteau Plunge Into a New Season of "Caribbean Pirate Treasure"
Dive into exhilarating deep-sea adventures with underwater explorers Philippe Cousteau, grandson of legendary explorer Jacques Cousteau, and his journalist wife, Ashlan, as they investigate incredible stories of pirates' plunder and lost loot.

[04/26/18 - 09:01 AM]
A&E Network to Premiere Biography Special "Mary Kay Letourneau: Autobiography" on Tuesday, May 29
The raw two-hour documentary follows former teacher Mary Kay Letourneau as she recounts her tumultuous past in her most in-depth confessional to date.

[04/26/18 - 08:25 AM]
Comedy Central Launches The Creators Program and Taps Five Emerging Creators/Writers/Performers to Develop Daily Topical Digital Content
The inaugural creators are Ryan Beck, Chris Cotton, Hanna Dickinson, Jordan Mendoza and Natasha Vaynblat.

[04/26/18 - 08:15 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX Dramas Hold Onto Demo Crown
"Empire," "Star" help lead the night among adults 18-49.

[04/26/18 - 08:08 AM]
"Star Wars Resistance," A High-Flying Anime-Inspired Series That Explores an Uncharted Timeframe Prior to the Events of "The Force Awakens," Ordered by Disney Channels
"Star Wars Resistance" will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites, including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.

[04/26/18 - 08:03 AM]
CNBC's "Warren Buffett: Investor. Teacher. Icon." to Premiere Friday, May 4 at 10PM ET/PT
The program premieres the night before the Annual Shareholders Meeting of Berkshire Hathaway, the company that Buffett has led for more than 50 years and turned into a behemoth now worth almost half a trillion dollars.

[04/26/18 - 08:02 AM]
Netflix Orders Three New Projects from Comedy Powerhouse Gabriel "Fluffy" Iglesias
In the multi-cam comedy series, "Mr. Iglesias," Iglesias plays a good-natured public high school teacher who works at his alma mater.

[04/26/18 - 07:47 AM]
The Return of Cooking Channel's "Beach Bites with Katie Lee" Makes Waves with New Destinations
Each of the six half-hour long episodes are full of sun, sand and surf, as Katie beach hops in search of the finest fare served up on shores near and far.