[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/24/15 - 07:43 PM]
E! Announces New Documentary Series Following Bruce Jenner's Life as a Transgender Woman
The eight-part, one-hour series will premiere Sunday, July 26 at 9:00pm on E! and will also air on the E! channels internationally.

[04/24/15 - 04:25 PM]
Oscar(R) Nominee and Multiple Tony(R) Winner Frank Langella to Return to FX's Peabody Award-Winning Drama "The Americans"
Langella will reprise his role as "Gabriel," Philip and Elizabeth's mysterious KGB handler.

[04/24/15 - 03:05 PM]
Whipclip Teams Up with Pop to Offer Fans Easy Access to Create and Share Video Clips from Network's Original Programming Line-Up
Using Whipclip, viewers can create customized clips of their favorite moments and share them instantly on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest and via email and SMS.

[04/24/15 - 12:48 PM]
Discovery Channel Renews Hit-Series "Deadliest Catch" for Twelfth Season
From Original Productions, the 13-time Emmy Award-winning series follows the real-life adventures of Alaskan fisherman with one of the most dangerous jobs in the world - crab fishing on the unpredictable Bering Sea.

[04/24/15 - 12:43 PM]
FOX Sports 1 Presents First Ever "U.S. Open Media Day Special"
Originating from the United States Golf Association's Media Day at Chambers Bay, the program, recorded earlier in the day, airs in primetime Monday, April 27, (9:30 PM ET) on FOX Sports 1.

[04/24/15 - 12:32 PM]
Discovery Channel Grabs #1 in Both Persons 25-54 and Persons 18-49 on Cable for the Week
Discovery spins the numbers for the week of April 13-19.

[04/24/15 - 11:17 AM]
"Garbage Time with Katie Nolan" Attracts Largest Audience Ever with Total Viewership Over 1.6 Million
FOX Sports further spins the numbers for Sunday, April 19.

[04/24/15 - 10:35 AM]
Meet the New Class of Students on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"
Following a nationwide search, these six kids were chosen to help the grown-ups graduate toward the top prize of $1 million.

[04/24/15 - 10:31 AM]
Live + 3 Day Ratings: ABC's "Once Upon a Time" Emerges at Sunday's Top Broadcast Series
ABC further spins the numbers for Sunday, April 19.

[04/24/15 - 10:26 AM]
Evan Peters the Latest "American Horror Story" Veteran to Join "Hotel"
Lady Gaga, Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Matt Bomer, Cheyenne Jackson, Wes Bentley and Chloë Sevigny also star in the latest installment, due in October.

[04/24/15 - 10:11 AM]
"Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop," Featuring Exclusive Access to Former NYPD Officer Gilberto Valle, Explores Issues of Crime in the Internet Age When It Debuts May 11 on HBO
Dubbed "The Cannibal Cop," former NYPD officer Gilberto Valle was convicted of conspiring to kidnap and eat women in March 2013.

[04/24/15 - 10:08 AM]
Video: "Nightingale" - Tease (HBO Films)
The David Oyelowo-led project premieres Friday, May 29 at 9:00/8:00c on the pay channel.

[04/24/15 - 10:07 AM]
FYI(TM) Greenlights New Original Series "The Seven Year Switch"
In the series, four couples at a crossroads in their relationship will get the chance to live with a stranger for two weeks, in an experimental marriage, to help determine what traits and characteristics in a mate could make their marriage stronger.

[04/24/15 - 09:22 AM]
"Steve Harvey" Celebrates 500th Episode, Monday, April 27
Members of the studio audience will get the opportunity of a lifetime, as each day April 27 - May 1, one lucky person will be chosen to step into the "Steve Harvey Money Booth" and will be given 20 seconds to collect as much cash as they can.

[04/24/15 - 09:08 AM]
Hulu Original "Moone Boy" to Return for A Sidesplitting Third Season
The Chris O'Dowd-led series returns to Hulu for a third and final season with six all-new episodes on Wednesday, May 13.