[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[10/02/14 - 08:32 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Criminal Minds," "Stalker" Push CBS to Top Spot
Plus: FOX's "Red Band Society" grows by 10% while ABC's "Black-ish" falls 24% from last week's episodes.

[10/02/14 - 08:16 AM]
USA Network's Sexy Original Drama "Satisfaction," Scores a Season Two Renewal
The cable channel has ordered 10 new episodes of the drama, from Universal Cable Productions.

[10/02/14 - 08:06 AM]
NL Wild Card Game Up 21 Percent with Strong 4.1 Overnight Rating
ESPN spins the numbers for Wednesday, October 1.

[10/02/14 - 08:04 AM]
Showtime(R) Amplifies "Homeland" Fan Experience with Showtime Sync
Application users will be able to share select video clips directly to social media platforms instantaneously during new episodes, facilitating social conversation as the action transpires on screen.

[10/02/14 - 08:01 AM]
"Joshua Bell: A YoungArts MasterClass," The Latest Edition of the Three-Time Emmy(R)-Nominated HBO Family Show, Debuts Oct. 14 on HBO
The Grammy-winning violinist collaborates with nine talented young musicians, helping them discover their unique voices in a group setting and guiding them through performances in New York and London.

[10/02/14 - 08:01 AM]
Disney XD Orders Second Season of Lucasfilm's Animated-Triumph "Star Wars Rebels" Ahead of Its Television Premiere
"The global expectations for this series could not have been any higher," said Gary Marsh. "And I am proud to say that the team at Lucasfilm has delivered something that has surpassed even that incredibly high bar - artistically and thematically."

[10/02/14 - 07:47 AM]
Nickelodeon Honors Kansas City's Zachary Mallory as The Halo Effect Award Recipient for October
Selected for his work as a gay rights youth activist, Mallory will be featured in a short on-air profile airing on TeenNick and highlighted on TeenNick.com throughout the month.

[10/02/14 - 07:37 AM]
Nickelodeon Serves Up Bone-Chilling Halloween Premieres, Including Hour-Long Crossover Special "Haunted Thundermans," Beginning Oct. 11 at 8 P.M. (ET/PT)
The Thundermans and the Hathaways combat the ghouls in a one-hour crossover special.

[10/02/14 - 07:36 AM]
Discovery Channel Goes Deep Inside an Alaskan Outlaw Town in All New Series "Edge of Alaska"
The newcomer launches Friday, October 24 at 10:00/9:00c on the cable channel.

[10/02/14 - 07:03 AM]
Jay Bilas Signs Extension with ESPN Through 2023
Bilas, who is featured on ESPN's game and studio coverage, will call top men's college basketball games involving the nation's marquee teams and conferences and will be present at the Men's Final Four through studio coverage.

[10/01/14 - 09:02 PM]
O'Doyle Rules! Adam Sandler Heads to Netflix - Globally Renowned Movie Star and Comedian to Make Four Movies Exclusively for the More Than 50 Million Netflix Members
"When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only... Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks," said Sandler.

[10/01/14 - 04:44 PM]
TV Land Orders Two New Comedies, "Impastor" and "Teachers," To Series
Both series will premiere on the cable channel in 2015.

[10/01/14 - 04:36 PM]
A Roloff Wedding Wraps Up the Most Watched Season Ever of "Little People, Big World" with 1.9M P2+ Viewers
TLC spins the numbers for Tuesday, September 30.

[10/01/14 - 03:15 PM]
"MasterChef Junior" Moves to Tuesdays
Newcomer "Utopia" will now only air once a week: Fridays at 8:00/7:00c.

[10/01/14 - 02:41 PM]
E! Reunites the Most Outrageous Patients When "Botched Reunion: Show & Tell" Airs Sunday, October 26 and Monday, October 27 at 10:00PM ET/PT
Maria Menounos hosts the two-part special, in which Paul Nassif and Terry Dubrow reunite to look back at the nationwide success of the first season and welcome some of their most outrageous patients.