[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[02/28/15 - 08:57 AM]
Friday's "Dateline" Increases by 20% vs. Its Prior Telecast to the Show's Top Rating Since January 30
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, February 27.

[02/28/15 - 08:47 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Continues Its Demo Reign
"Last Man Standing" takes the top spot among adults 18-49 last night.

[02/28/15 - 08:37 AM]
ABC's Is #1 on Friday for 8th Straight Week with "Last Man Standing" and "20/20" the Top 2 Shows
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, February 27.

[02/27/15 - 03:09 PM]
Statement From E! Entertainment Regarding Kelly Osbourne
Osbourne is departing E!s "Fashion Police" to pursue other opportunities.

[02/27/15 - 01:19 PM]
Discovery Channel Tops Cable Prime Time for Men and Ranks in the Top 10 for Women and Persons 6-11 in February
Discovery spins the numbers for the month to date.

[02/27/15 - 01:01 PM]
ABC Family Orders a Fifth Season of Hit Original Comedy Series "Baby Daddy"
The order came just as production has wrapped on the series' fourth season.

[02/27/15 - 12:47 PM]
Discover the Fascinating World of the Ocean's Most Intelligent Creatures in "Dolphins: Spy in the Pod" Airing Saturday, March 7 at 8 PM ET/PT on the Discovery Channel
The hour-long journey will discover the relationships and habits of bottlenose and spinner dolphins, some of the world's most playful, clever and beloved animals.

[02/27/15 - 12:45 PM]
Syfy Will Pay Tribute to Science Fiction Icon Leonard Nimoy with Special Five Hour Programming Salute This Sunday, March 1 from 9AM-2PM
Said lineup includes an episode of the original "Twilight Zone" series; his guest star arc on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," and the final Star Trek original cast movie, "Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country."

[02/27/15 - 11:06 AM]
ABC's "American Crime" Post-Show Podcast Series to Launch Exclusively on PodcastOne
The podcast debuts today with a preview of what to expect in the television series, followed by weekly post-show episodes taking fans through the final episode of the season.

[02/27/15 - 10:23 AM]
Time Period-Winning "The Odd Couple" Retains Solid 90% of Its Premiere Adults 18-49 Rating
CBS spins the numbers for Thursday, February 26.

[02/27/15 - 10:17 AM]
MTV Renews "Are You the One" for Season 3, "The Challenge" for Season 27 and Greenlights Pilots "Girl Code Live" and "Greatest Party Story Ever" to Series
"Girl Code Live" is a live weekly talk show from the popular "Code" franchise; and "Greatest Party Story Ever" is a half-hour weekly that will showcase peoples' most outrageous epic tales.

[02/27/15 - 09:57 AM]
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Orders New Episodes of All Four of Its Popular Tyler Perry Series
"The Haves and the Have Nots," "If Loving You is Wrong," "Love Thy Neighbor" and "For Better or Worse" are all due back.

[02/27/15 - 09:30 AM]
NBC News' Peacock Productions Signs Deal with Exoneree Brian Banks to Develop New Unscripted Series
The unscripted series will investigate one potential case of wrongful conviction.

[02/27/15 - 08:46 AM]
Despite Special Competition from the "Murder" Season Finale, "Blacklist" Grows 6% Week to Week
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, February 26.

[02/27/15 - 08:31 AM]
ABC Wins Its 5th Consecutive Thursday Night Among Adults 18-49
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, February 26.