[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[03/28/17 - 02:16 PM]
Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman Handcraft Their Return to NBC with Six-Episode Order for "The Handmade Project"
The competition series celebrates artisanship and the makers who can create amazing things with their hands ... and a few tools too.

[03/28/17 - 01:39 PM]
"Rescue Dog to Super Dog" Gives Assistance and Comfort to Those in Need and Purpose and a Forever Home to Rescue Dogs
In Animal Planet's new series, shelter dogs are given a second chance to become a companion to someone in need.

[03/28/17 - 01:22 PM]
24-Hour Disney Junior Channel Celebrates 4 Years at #1 Turbocharged by "Mickey and the Roadster Racers"
Disney Channel spins the numbers for the quarter to date.

[03/28/17 - 01:15 PM]
Animal Owners Look to Make Big Changes for Their Overweight Pets in Animal Planet's "My Fat Pet"
In Animal Planet's all-new series, animal expert and trainer Travis Brorsen works with pets and their owners through a four-month long weight-loss journey.

[03/28/17 - 01:01 PM]
"Saturday Night Live" Returns in April with All-Star Lineups
Look for Louis C.K. and The Chainsmokers on April 8 followed by Jimmy Fallon and Harry Styles on April 15.

[03/28/17 - 12:58 PM]
NBC to Broadcast All Winter Olympic Programming Live Across All Time Zones
Whether daytime, primetime or late night, all U.S. viewers will be able to watch NBC's coverage of the XXIII Olympic Winter Games from PyeongChang, South Korea, at the same time.

[03/28/17 - 12:38 PM]
Smithsonian Channel(TM) Goes Beyond the Iconic Franco Zeffirelli Miniseries in "The Real Jesus of Nazareth"
40 years later, the actor who portrayed the Son of God, Robert Powell, is returning to the Holy Land to seek out clues to the real historical figure who inspired Christianity.

[03/28/17 - 11:44 AM]
Nickelodeon Wins 1Q 17 with All Kids' Demos, Marks Yearly Growth and Captures All Top Ten Shows for Kids 2-11 and Kids 6-11
Nickelodeon spins the numbers for the quarter to date.

[03/28/17 - 11:16 AM]
The Family Celebrates Five Years Together in the Emotional 90-Minute Series Finale of "Switched at Birth," Airing Tuesday, April 11, on Freeform
In the emotional 90-minute series finale of the award-winning drama, Kathryn becomes nostalgic when she realizes that it's been five years since the switch was discovered and the two families started living together.

[03/28/17 - 10:41 AM]
"Married at First Sight" Moves to Lifetime Starting April 20
The new spin-off series, "Married at First Sight: Second Chances," giving two past viewer favorites the chance to find love again, debuts Thursday, April 27.

[03/28/17 - 10:30 AM]
Video: Showtime(R) Releases Exclusive Clip from Upcoming Documentary "Disgraced"
The documentary features former Baylor University men's basketball assistant coach Abar Rouse and secret audio recordings of former head coach Dave Bliss.

[03/28/17 - 10:13 AM]
FOX Sports Welcomes Back Big Personality Pierzynski
Hired by FOX Sports initially to be an analyst for the 2011 MLB postseason, Pierzynski joined the FOX Sports team again in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

[03/28/17 - 10:05 AM]
Investigation Discovery Announces Three-Night Special Event Taking Viewers Back to Face 1970s Serial Killer in "Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer"
The three-night special event will premiere this summer on the cable channel.

[03/28/17 - 10:05 AM]
Emmy(R)-Winning HBO Comedy Series "Veep," Starring Emmy(R)-Winner Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Returns for Its Sixth Season April 16
Recurring guest stars on the new season include Amy Brenneman, Margaret Colin, Stephen Fry and Paul Scheer.

[03/28/17 - 10:05 AM]
Discovery Channel Announces 2017-2018 Upfront Programming Slate
Highlights include the new scripted anthology series called "Manhunt: Unabomber," which premieres with a special two-hour episode on Tuesday, August 1 at 9:00/8:00c.