[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[03/27/15 - 01:33 PM]
Video: "The Casual Vacancy" - Trailer (HBO)
Based on the novel by acclaimed author J.K. Rowling, the mini-series premieres Wednesday, April 29 and Thursday, April 30.

[03/27/15 - 01:13 PM]
Bravo Media's "The Millionaire Matchmaker" Earns Highest-Rated Episode of the Season with 2.2 Million Total Viewers
Bravo spins the numbers for Sunday, March 22.

[03/27/15 - 12:31 PM]
Masi Oka to Return as Hiro Nakamura on NBC's "Heroes Reborn"
"I'm excited to return to my 'Heroes' roots," said Oka. "Hiro Nakamura was such an inspirational role to play, and I'm hoping the fans will enjoy seeing him back on TV."

[03/27/15 - 11:38 AM]
The "Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber" Premieres on Monday, March 30 at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central and Online Via CC.com and the Comedy Central App
The global multiplatform comedy event kicks off with "The Roast of Justin Bieber Pre-Show," airing 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central and simultaneously through the app and cc.com.

[03/27/15 - 11:13 AM]
Showtime Sports(R) to Chronicle the Most Anticipated Event of the Year with "Inside Mayweather vs. Pacquiao"
The first installment kicks off Saturday, April 18 on the cable channel.

[03/27/15 - 11:11 AM]
E!'s "The Royals" Shows Significant Audience Growth in Its Second Week
E! further spins the numbers for Sunday, March 22.

[03/27/15 - 10:37 AM]
Syfy's "Dominion" Adds New Recurring Characters for Season 2
Joining the series' stellar cast are recurring guest stars Nic Bishop, Simon Merrells, Christina Chong, Olivia Mace and Luke Tyler.

[03/27/15 - 10:27 AM]
Video: Starz Releases First Look Live Action Teaser of Original Series "Blunt Talk"
The series will premiere on Starz in the summer of 2015.

[03/27/15 - 10:16 AM]
NBC Goes on 8 "First Dates" as Network Orders Popular U.K. Format to Series
The observational documentary series, from executive producer Ellen DeGeneres and Shed Media, takes a peek at what happens when a couple meets for the first time and love may be in the air.

[03/27/15 - 10:15 AM]
Showtime(R) Offers a Sneak Preview of New Comedy Series "HAPPYish" After the Season Finale of "Shameless" on Sunday, April 5
The newcomer will then formally launch on Sunday, April 26 at 9:30/8:30c.

[03/27/15 - 08:49 AM]
"The Blacklist" Builds by 60% on Its 18-49 Lead-In Versus Round Three of the NCAA Basketball Tournament
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, March 26.

[03/27/15 - 08:43 AM]
Live + 3: ABC's "Secrets and Lies" Scores a New Series High in Adults 18-49
ABC further spins the numbers for Sunday, March 22.

[03/27/15 - 08:32 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: NCAA Enters Week Two on Top for CBS
The Eye leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[03/27/15 - 08:22 AM]
"Scandal" and "Grey's" Rank as Thursday's Top 2 Series in Adults 18-49 for the 2nd Consecutive Week
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, March 26.

[03/27/15 - 08:08 AM]
2015 NCAA Tournament Delivers Record-Setting Numbers for Sweet 16 Thursday and Tournament Coverage-to-Date
CBS spins the numbers for Thursday, March 26.