[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/26/17 - 12:31 PM]
Senators-Penguins Game 7 Double-OT Thriller on NBCSN Averages More Than 3 Million Viewers
NBCSN spins the numbers for Thursday, May 25.

[05/26/17 - 10:01 AM]
Disney XD's "Star vs. The Forces of Evil" Two-Hour TV Movie Event to Premiere Saturday, July 15
Season three of the fan-favorite and Annie Award-nominated series is slated to debut this fall.

[05/26/17 - 09:07 AM]
"Into the Badlands" Closes Its Second Season as a Top Scripted Series on Cable
AMC further spins the numbers for the series to date.

[05/26/17 - 08:36 AM]
NBC's 10 P.M. "The Red Nose Day Special" #1 in Timeslot in 18-49 and Improves on Last Year's Telecast by 40% in Demo and 27% in Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 25.

[05/25/17 - 11:55 PM]
3rd Annual Red Nose Day Raises Over $35 Million for Children in Need, Top Stars Join NBC's Night of Red Nose Day Programming & Live Special
The donation total was calculated after the broadcast finished airing on the West Coast.

[05/25/17 - 03:59 PM]
Video: Netflix Reveals Trailer and Key Art for CounterPunch
The film brings to light the true stories of a number of young boxers determined not only to turn around the fate of the industry, but to also make sure their names end up in the firmament alongside the most remembered and revered champions.

[05/25/17 - 03:50 PM]
Top Ninja Warriors Will Show Off Their Strength on NBC's Annual Three-Hour Special "USA vs. The World" Airing Sunday, June 4 (8-11 PM ET/PT)
Matt Iseman and Akbar Gbajabiamila are set to host and Kristine Leahy will co-host.

[05/25/17 - 02:36 PM]
ABC Wins Its 4th Consecutive May in Adults 18-49, Delivering Its Longest Winning Streak for the Sweep in Over 25 Years
ABC further spins the numbers for the May sweeps period.

[05/25/17 - 02:32 PM]
Production Team for "69th Primetime Emmys" Announced
Glenn Weiss and Ricky Kirshner of White Cherry Entertainment will executive produce this year's telecast.

[05/25/17 - 01:27 PM]
Video: First Look at Ludacris in MTV's "Fear Factor"
The series returns this Tuesday, May 30 at 10:00/9:00c.

[05/25/17 - 11:59 AM]
Rubber Hits the Road on the New Season of CNBC's "Jay Leno's Garage" Premiering Wednesday, June 28th
Celebrity guests this season include President George W. Bush and Laura Bush, Ted Koppel, Wanda Sykes, Michael Strahan, Brad Garrett, Josh Duhamel, J. B. Smoove, among others.

[05/25/17 - 10:59 AM]
History Orders Robert Zemeckis Scripted Drama Series "Blue Book"
"Blue Book" chronicles the true top secret United States Air Force-sponsored investigations into UFO-related phenomena in the 1950's and 60's known as "Project Blue Book."

[05/25/17 - 10:46 AM]
Summer Is Blazing Hot with "Teen Choice 2017" Live Sunday, August 13, on FOX
For 19 years, the special has presented performances and appearances by some of pop culture's brightest stars.

[05/25/17 - 10:30 AM]
The Avengers Return for an Action-Packed One-Hour "Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars" Season Four Premiere on Saturday, June 17, on Disney XD
Picking up right after the events of season three "Ultron Revolution," the fourth season finds Tony Stark trapped in another dimension.

[05/25/17 - 10:04 AM]
"Legends of Chamberlain Heights" Returns for Season Two on Sunday, June 18 at 11:30 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central
"Legends of Chamberlain Heights" is an urban animated series mixing raucous comedy and social commentary that centers on three high school freshman basketball benchwarmers.