[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[12/04/16 - 09:02 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX Holds Off ABC in College Football Showdown
The network wins the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[12/04/16 - 08:55 AM]
"Saturday Night Live" Grows Versus the Year-Ago Night
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, December 3.

[12/03/16 - 02:11 PM]
Hallelujah! Netflix Confirms Launch Dates for "Sense8": A Christmas Special and Season Two
Look for "A Christmas Special" on Friday, December 23 followed by season two on Friday, May 5.

[12/03/16 - 08:45 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: College Football Sparks Demo Victory for FOX
The network leads the night among adults 18-49 while CBS is the most-watched broadcaster.

[12/03/16 - 08:38 AM]
ABC Earns Its Most Watched Friday This Season with "20/20" Spiking Over 50% to Season Highs
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, December 2.

[12/03/16 - 08:37 AM]
New Season Highs for "Dateline"; "Caught on Camera" Captures Its Top Total-Viewer Result Since February
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, December 2.

[12/02/16 - 03:09 PM]
Science Channel Delivers Double-Digit Primetime and Total Day Increases Across Key Demos Including Adults 25-54 and Total Viewership in November
Science Channel further spins the numbers for the month of November.

[12/02/16 - 01:03 PM]
"Saturday Night Live" Celebrates the Holiday Season with Three Back-to-Back Shows
John Cena and Casey Affleck will follow the previously announced Emma Stone.

[12/02/16 - 01:03 PM]
Animal Planet Highlights One Organization's Mission to Protect and Rescue Animals in New Series "The Guardians"
In this all-new series, Animal Planet introduces this volunteer-run organization called Guardians of Rescue and follows its quest to help any animal in need - anywhere, anytime.

[12/02/16 - 12:00 PM]
Beloved Actress Betty White to Be "Young & Hungry" with a Guest Star Role on Freeform's Original Comedy
White will play Ms. Wilson, Gabi's neighbor who she encounters after a misunderstanding with Josh leaves Gabi confused about what to do.

[12/02/16 - 11:38 AM]
"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Hits Series Highs in The CW's #DCWeek Finale
The CW spins the numbers for Thursday, December 1.

[12/02/16 - 11:28 AM]
E!'s New Docu-Series "So Cosmo" - Set at the Glamorous Epi-center of Pop Culture, Cosmopolitan Magazine - Premieres Wed., Feb. 8 at 8 PM ET/PT
Plus: look for a preview special on Tuesday, December 20 at 8:00/7:00c.

[12/02/16 - 11:01 AM]
Production Underway on Investigation Discovery's First Movie, "Dating Game Killer," Starring Guillermo Diaz as Serial Killer Rodney Alcala
Carrie Preston and Robert Knepper also star in the project, which is set to premiere in early 2017.

[12/02/16 - 11:00 AM]
Freeform Shares Their Holiday Spirit with Annual Gift-giving Initiative Pop Up Santa and Holiday-themed Shorts "Funny Or Die Presents Santa's Shorts"
All of these jolly holiday moments can be seen during "25 Days of Christmas" airing December 1 - 25, on the Freeform app and on 25DaysofChristmasTV.com.

[12/02/16 - 10:44 AM]
TBS Heads into "Final Space" with New Animated Comedy from Olan Rogers
Part of TBS's continued push into animation, "Final Space" is a serialized intergalactic space saga about an astronaut named Gary and his adorable, planet-destroying friend, Mooncake.