[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/24/16 - 12:57 PM]
Esquire Network Kicks Off Summer with Four-Day "Ninjathon" Over Memorial Day Weekend Begining Friday, May 27 at 7:00AM ET/PT
Fans can relive back-to-back episodes of almost all of seasons five, six and seven of "American Ninja Warrior" as well as all of season one of Esquire Network's record-breaking new show "Team Ninja Warrior."

[05/24/16 - 12:51 PM]
History(R) Supports The Freedmen's Bureau Project Through Partnership with The Smithsonian's NMAAHC and FamilySearch International
The social initiative, "Reading for Roots," is a call to action to encourage viewers to volunteer to transcribe post-Civil War documents.

[05/24/16 - 12:24 PM]
"20/20: In an Instant" - Two-Hour Docudrama Series Returns for Second Season, Premieres June 18 on ABC
"In an Instant" does more than just re-tell heart-pounding first-person accounts of the world's most harrowing tales of survival; it brings them to life with breathtaking dramatizations of the moments before and after life was forever changed.

[05/24/16 - 12:23 PM]
Award-Winning "What Would You Do?" Returns This Summer - New Shows Begin Airing Friday, June 17, on ABC
Hidden-camera fan-favorite "What Would You Do?" returns for 13 weeks this summer with all-new scenarios capturing unsuspecting people's reactions to everyday situations.

[05/24/16 - 10:37 AM]
Elton John, Julia Roberts, Will Ferrell, Blake Shelton, Kobe Bryant and More Join NBC Charity Event "The Red Nose Day Special" May 26
The star-studded charity event, which helps raise awareness and money for kids in need here at home and around the world, will be hosted by Craig Ferguson and features comedy, music and more.

[05/24/16 - 10:31 AM]
"Big Jay Oakerson: Live at Webster Hall" Premieres with Limited Commercial Interruption on Friday, June 17 at Midnight ET/PT on Comedy Central(R)
Leading up to the on-air premiere, Comedy Central Stand-Up and cc.com/BigJay will feature preview clips from the special.

[05/24/16 - 10:16 AM]
Greg Yaitanes Tapped as Showrunner of Discovery's Unabomber Drama "Manifesto"
Lionsgate is teaming with Discovery Channel, Kevin Spacey and Dana Brunetti's Trigger Street for the limited series.

[05/24/16 - 10:10 AM]
New Episodes of CNBC's Hit Series "West Texas Investors Club" Debut Tuesday, June 7th at 10PM ET/PT
The 10 original hour-long episodes feature self-made multimillionaires - Rooster McConaughey and Butch Gilliam who have chosen to pass on their success by investing in promising entrepreneurs - but only on their turf and their terms.

[05/24/16 - 10:04 AM]
"Fargo's" Stunning Second Chapter Gets Marathon on FX
The Saturday, June 4 marathon features all 10 episodes in consecutive order and will run from 10 AM ET/PT to 8 PM ET/PT presented with limited commercial interruption.

[05/24/16 - 09:32 AM]
HGTV's "Flip or Flop" Returns For Season Five on June 9
The 15-episode series follows Tarek and Christina El Moussa as they buy dilapidated houses and turn them into beautiful family homes.

[05/24/16 - 09:30 AM]
LeVar Burton, Whoopi Goldberg, Jonathan Frakes and Ginger Zee Guest Star in Season Two of Disney Junior's Acclaimed Series "Miles from Tomorrowland" Launching Monday, June 20 on Disney Channel
The series charts the outer space missions of young adventurer Miles Callisto and his family as they work together to help connect the galaxy on behalf of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

[05/24/16 - 09:27 AM]
Ovation to Premiere "Hanksy Presents: Surplus Candy" Across Linear, Digital & Social Platforms on June 26
The documentary and digital series capture Hanksy, a well-known street artist, as he and over 50 other street artists transform an abandoned mansion in Los Angeles into a magnificent, and temporary, showcase of graffiti art.

[05/24/16 - 09:07 AM]
More Than 9.4 Million Watched Exaggerator Win Preakness Stakes on NBC - Up 6% from American Pharoah's 2015 Victory
NBC further spins the numbers for Saturday, May 21.

[05/24/16 - 09:02 AM]
BBC America Begins Production on Original Series "Dirk Gently's Holisitic Detective Agency," Starring Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett
The series is a comedic thriller that follows the bizarre adventures of eccentric "holistic" detective Dirk Gently (Samuel Barnett) and his reluctant assistant Todd (Elijah Wood).

[05/24/16 - 09:00 AM]
Spike Toasts Mankind with the Party of the Decade at the 10th Annual "Guys Choice"
The A-list, ultimate guys night out, tapes Saturday, June 4 at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, CA and premieres Thursday, June 9.