WGN AMERICA IS EVERYWERE AMERICA CALLS HOME -- NETWORK COMPLETES REBRAND AND RELAUNCHES IN APRIL
NEW YORK, April 9, 2009 - Between Hollywood and Harlem is a place called America. WGN America.
There is more to modern America than the coasts..from Amarillo, Biloxi, Charleston, Daytona, Eugene, Fargo, Greenville, Helena, Indianapolis, Juneau, Knoxville, Lansing, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Pensacola, Quincy, Roanoke, Spokane, Terre Haute, Utica, Victoria, Wichita, Xenia, Yuma to Zanesville, WGN America engages the magic of America.
With the transition from Superstation WGN to WGN America complete, the new WGN America premieres this month with a new cohesive visual package and sonic presentation that reflects the spirit, diversity and imagination of the American experience. WGN America reaches viewers in towns and neighborhoods throughout the USA, and WGN America's newly created on-air vision captures this span--from big cities to small towns--with a cinematic picture of the American vista. WGN America is also introducing a new logo, new graphics (including seamless flow show opens and seamless flow billboards) and for the first time, the network has a sonic logo.
"As our nation goes through dramatic changes, our mission at WGN America is to reflect the American experience in a powerful, positive and interesting way that puts us in sync with America in 2009 and beyond," said Lee Abrams, Chief Innovation Officer.
WGN America offers programming as diverse as America itself.
Original programs have been added to WGN America's line-up:
* WWE Superstars: The biggest Superstars from Raw, SmackDown and ECW debut on WWE Superstars - a new action-packed weekly program featuring original matches between any WWE Superstar from any brand, at any time. WWE Superstars (available in HD) will air on Thursday nights at 8pm and 11pm ET (5pm and 8pm PT) beginning on April 16th, with an additional run on Sundays at 12 pm ET (9am PT).
* Around the World For Free: A penniless quest around the globe spanning 45,000 miles, 159 days, 16 countries, 4 continents and ZERO dollars. In Around the World For Free, Alex Boylan, winner of The Amazing Race 2, attempts the impossible: he strips himself of all monetary funds, and with only a backpack and the help of the online community, sets off on a mission to circumnavigate the globe. Beginning on April 16th WGN America will air Alex's entire voyage (available in HD) in 60-minute installments on Thursdays at 9pm and 12 midnight ET (6pm and 9pm PT).
* Hollywood & Dine: Celebrities dish about their latest movies and their favorite foods in this half hour weekly program hosted by David Moss, airing on Saturdays at 12 noon ET (9am PT) beginning April 18.
* Cultivating Life will help Americans enjoy their outdoor spaces by demonstrating easy-to-do projects and inspiring ideas. Host Sean Conway explores trends and provides simple solutions and timely ideas for outdoor living, cooking, gardening, and entertaining. Cultivating Life, which aired for three seasons on Public Television, will now air its fourth season exclusively on WGN America on Saturdays at 12:30pm ET (9:30am PT) beginning April 18.
* Boston Legal: the legal dramedy created by David E. Kelley and a spin-off of The Practice starring James Spader and William Shatner airs Saturdays 1pm and 7pm ET (10am and 4pm PT)
* The Bob & Tom Show, the first daily show ever to be produced exclusively for WGN America, showcases highlights from The Bob & Tom Show (Morning Radio Show) hosted by Bob Kevoian and Tom Griswold who broadcast live on over 150 radio stations nationwide each weekday. A mix of original comedy, notable guests, and entertaining conversation, The Bob & Tom Show airs Midnight - 1:00am ET (9pm-10pm PT) Monday-Wednesday and Friday, 4am ET (1am PT) on Thursdays and Sundays 11am ET (8am PT)
* Legend of the Seeker: an adaptation of internationally best-selling author Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth book series. Legend of the Seeker follows Richard Cypher's (Craig Horner) quest to defeat the evil force Darken Rahl (Craig Parker) by battling dangerous villains, creatures and sorcerers. A double run of the live-action weekly series airs Saturday 4-6 pm ET (1-3pm ET)
* Star Trek: The Next Generation: created by Gene Roddenberry and set in the 24th century, Star Trek: The Next Generation is the successor to the original Star Trek (1966) and WGN America has acquired all 178 60-minute episodes from the show's seven seasons. Star Trek: The Next Generation airs Monday-Wednesday and Friday at 1am ET (10pm PT)
* Major League Baseball: nearly 100 games (featuring the Divisional Champions Chicago Cubs and White Sox). Broadcasting more total games than any other national television network, with all regular season Cubs and White Sox games now available in HD with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, WGN America is the home for "America's pastime."
* Scrubs delivers late night laughs with a double run airing Monday-Saturday at 11pm ET (8pm PT) with the Thursday run airing at 1am ET (10pm PT) [Note: double-run also airs at 5p ET]
* AFV (America's Funniest Videos) a family favorite, airs weeknights from 7-8pm ET (4-5pm PT) with an additional double run on Monday nights 8-10pm ET (5-7pm PT) AFV also airs on Saturday 6-7pm ET (3-4pm PT)
"WGN America will continue to deliver compelling, original programming for our viewers across America and we will continue the expansion of the network with Fall 2009 programming announcements coming later this spring," said Sean Compton, Senior Vice President of Programming & Development, Tribune Broadcasting.
From the mansions of Mulholland to the madness of Manhattan and everything in between, WGN America is everywhere America calls home.
ABOUT WGN AMERICA :
WGN America is everywhere America calls home. A broad entertainment network and destination for audiences across America, WGN America (also available in HD) is part of Tribune Broadcasting Company, and is nationally distributed via cable, satellite and telco with entertainment programming consisting of cable exclusives, first-run programs, blockbuster movies and live sports. For program schedules or additional information please visit www.wgnamerica.com