CMT'S FIRST SITCOM "WORKING CLASS" STARRING MELISSA PETERMAN ANNOUNCES CAST AND BEGINS PRODUCTION
EMMY AND GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD-WINNING ACTOR ED ASNER JOINS THE CAST
NASHVILLE - October 18, 2010 - CMT's first scripted sitcom, "Working Class," is set to begin taping in Los Angeles on October 19 starring TV veteran Melissa Peterman ("Reba," "Singing Bee"). Peterman will be joined by Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning actor Ed Asner, who is making his return to series television, his first since his role on "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" in 2006. The new 12 episode multi-camera series will premiere in January 2011 on CMT.
"We are thrilled to have the iconic Ed Asner join Melissa and our entire cast as we launch our first sitcom", states Brad Johnson, SVP Development. "From 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' to 'Lou Grant,' Asner is synonymous with legendary television and we know he will bring a classic, comedic edge to our fresh family sitcom."
The complete cast includes:
· Melissa Peterman - "Carli Mitchell", a single, blue collar mom who hopes to bring her three kids into a better life by moving to a rich suburban neighborhood.
· Ed Asner - "Hank Grezniak," a Korean War veteran and Carli's curmudgeon of a neighbor. Hank is not only the butcher at the same grocery store where Carli works, but he's also ever-present, endearing and annoying on the home front.
· Steve Kazee - "Nick Garrett," Carli's brother. Kazee's TV credits include "CSI," "Medium" and "As the World Turns" along with extensive Broadway credits. This is Kazee's first series regular role.
· Patrick Fabian - "Rob," Carli's boss. Fabian's TV credits include TeenNick's "Gigantic," HBO's "Big Love" and film credits include The Last Exorcism and Must Love Dogs.
· Lachlan Buchahan - "Scott," Carli's teenage son. Aussie actor was most recently seen on HBO's "Hung."
· Courtney Merritt - "Pam," Carli's teenage daughter. Merritt was most recently seen in ABC's "The Forgotten.''
· Cameron Castaneda - "Will," Carli's son. Most recently, Castaneda portrayed Noah Mancini, son of Dr. Michael Mancini, on last season's "Melrose Place."
WORKING CLASS focuses on Carli (Melissa Peterman), a single mom from a rough and tumble background, trying to give her kids a better life by moving them to an upscale suburb. She quickly finds that making the transition to "the good life" is harder than she thought. Not only do her three kids seem to want the same luxuries as their friends, her only career prospect is a glorified deli job at the local grocery store, and the man she falls for already has a girlfriend and is also her boss (Patrick Fabian) To make matters worse, Carli finds herself unwittingly befriended by her cranky, misanthropic neighbor, Hank, (Ed Asner) who is also the butcher at the grocery where she works. With her ladies-man brother, Nick, (Steve Kazee) to help her out, Carli faces the challenges of parenting, dating, and making friends in her new community by doing more with less, staying true to herself, and approaching each day with a touch of working class.
WORKING CLASS is executive produced by Jill Cargerman ("Spin City," "Las Vegas," "Gary Unmarried") and Bryan Johnson of The Film Syndicate.
CMT, a unit of Viacom's MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B), is the leading television and digital authority on country music and entertainment, reaching more than 91 million homes in the U.S. CMT and its website, CMT.com, offer an unparalleled mix of music, news, live concerts and series and is the top resource for country music on demand. The network's digital platforms include the 24-hour music channel, CMT Pure Country, CMT Mobile and CMT VOD.