DISNEY CHANNEL IS ENCOURAGING KIDS TO SHINE ON DISNEYCHANNEL.COM/LETITSHINE
In anticipation of the upcoming Disney Channel Original Movie "Let It Shine," which premieres FRIDAY, JUNE 15 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT), DisneyChannel.com/LetItShine is debuting all new videos and activities that encourage kids to express themselves in their everyday lives. Over the next week, the site will feature:
- A music video for "Guardian Angel" featuring Tyler James Williams and Coco Jones, directed by Chris Applebaum (Rihanna, Selena Gomez & the Scene, Mariah Carey) will be featured on the DisneyChannel.com homepage.
- Original videos of kids talking about how music inspires them and impacts their lives, friendships and families)
- In-depth video interviews with the cast talking about their characters and how they prepared for the movie.
- Exclusive behind the scenes videos
- Fans will have an opportunity to create their own music slideshow by adding preset images, art they have created and custom messaging to a timeline. They will then be able to select music from a series of tracks that will play behind their creation.
"Let it Shine" unfolds in Atlanta, Georgia, as Cyrus DeBarge and his best friend Kris McDuffy reunite with their childhood friend, teenage singing sensation Roxanne "Roxie" Andrews, whose music label is sponsoring a songwriting contest at a teen club. Cyrus, who writes music under the name "Truth," crafts a heartfelt and contest-winning rhyme about Roxie but to his dismay, his work is mistakenly attributed to Kris. Lacking the confidence to step forward, Cyrus stands by while Kris not only takes credit for the lyrics, but ultimately begins to win Roxie's heart too. Now, it's up to the true poet to overcome self-doubt, seize the opportunity to reveal his authentic self, and pursue his dreams. All the while, Cyrus must convince his preacher father that hip-hop music can convey a positive message.
Starring are Tyler James Williams as Cyrus DeBarge, Coco Jones as Roxanne Andrews, Trevor Jackson as Kris McDuffy, Brandon Mychal Smith ("So Random!") as Lord of Da Bling, Dawnn Lewis ("A Different World") as Cyrus' mother Gail De Barge, Alex Desert ("Becker") as Levi, the owner of Off The Street, the teen music club where Cyrus works, Nicole Sullivan ("MADtv") as Roxanne's music manger Lyla and Courtney B. Vance ("FlashForward") as Cyrus' preacher father, Jacob DeBarge.
The upcoming "Let It Shine" soundtrack from Walt Disney Records features songs by: Antonina Armato, David Banner, Andy Dodd, In-Q, J-Doe, Toby Gad, Adam Hicks, Tim James, Steven Jones, Jay L'Oreal, Justin Mobley, Tocarra Phillips, Lindy Robbins, Thomas Armato Sturges, Dapo Torimiro, Anya Vasilenko, Jon Vella, Lambert "Stereo" Waldrip and Adam Watts.
"Let It Shine" is directed by two-time DGA award winner Paul Hoen ("Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam," "JONAS"), written by Eric Daniel and Don D. Scott ("Barbershop," "Barbershop 2: Back in Business") and choreographed by Danny Teeson ("American Idol") and associate Brandon Shaw ("So You Think You Can Dance," NAACP Image Awards). A production of G Wave Productions, LLC, the movie was shot on location in Atlanta and Marietta, Georgia.