MTV NEWS AND THE "POWER OF 12" AMPLIFY YOUTH VOICES FROM THE REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTIONS
Network to Live-Stream Speeches by Governor Romney and President Obama Online at MTV.com, MTVNews.com and Powerof12.org
MTV News Correspondent and Documentary Filmmaker Andrew Jenks Helms Political Coverage
Tampa, FL (August 27, 2012) - MTV News and the "Power of 12" campaign will be on the ground covering the 2012 Republican and Democratic National Conventions, amplifying the voices of young voters with MTV News Correspondent and documentary filmmaker Andrew Jenks. From the convention floors to the streets of Tampa and Charlotte, MTV will speak with young voters, candidates and celebrities to go inside the issues that are important to Millennials, delivering a steady stream of news coverage online and on-air. Additionally, the network officially launched "Fantasy Election '12" at the start of the Republican National Convention, and will have an on-the-ground presence at National Journal's daily breakfast briefings and nightly watch parties and live-stream the news organization's convention events on Powerof12.org.
MTV News and the "Power of 12" Campaign's convention coverage includes:
· Governor Romney's Acceptance Speech (Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 9:45 p.m. ET) - Andrew Jenks will team up with BuzzFeed's Rosie Gray to deliver live commentary before and after Governor Romney's keynote speech, which will be live-streamed on MTV.com, MTVNews.com and Powerof12.org.
· President Obama's Acceptance Speech (Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 9:45 p.m. ET) - Andrew Jenks will team up with BuzzFeed's Rosie Gray to deliver live commentary before and after President Obama's keynote speech, which will be live-streamed on MTV.com, MTVNews.com and Powerof12.org.
· Daily News Coverage - Through a series of online and on-air news briefs, MTV will give young people a "what it means for you" take on the conventions, candidates and issues, spearheaded by MTV's Andrew Jenks. Additionally, the network will continue its "Rapper or Republican" and "Democrat or Diva" quiz series, challenging politicians, young people and celebrities to guess who said what. News coverage will be available online at MTVNews.com, ACT.MTV.com, and Powerof12.org and on-air on MTV and mtvU, MTV's 24-hour college network.
· Human Hashtags - MTV News and "Power of 12" correspondents will be playing the role of "human hashtags" at both conventions, capturing conventioneer style, the best parties, attendees' election fantasies, the "need to know" moments, and more.
Other "Power of 12" initiatives at the convention include:
· MTV and National Journal - MTV will join National Journal at their daily breakfast briefings and nightly watch parties, giving attendees an opportunity to sign-up and get more information on "Fantasy Election '12." Additionally, MTV will live-stream National Journal events direct from Tampa and Charlotte to young people on Powerof12.org and Andrew Jenks will be a featured guest for "Conversations with the Next Generation," a town hall event hosted by National Journal, The Atlantic, and Microsoft on Wednesday, August 29, in Tampa and Wednesday, September 5, in Charlotte.
· Fantasy Election '12 -- MTV today announced from the Republican National Convention the launch of "Fantasy Election '12." The signature element of MTV's "Power of 12" campaign, beginning today users can sign up and begin forming leagues. The game gives young people a new way to hold candidates accountable and rewards them for getting involved in the 2012 elections. Similar to Fantasy Football, "Fantasy Election '12" enables users to draft a team of candidates pursuing the presidency or congress, earning and losing points based on how their players behave in the real world. Candidate performance is determined by objective data, provided by a range of non-partisan organizations, in five key areas: constituent engagement, honesty, transparency, civility, and public opinion. Players can also earn bonus points for getting informed on political issues, by engaging and participating in the electoral process and by testing their political knowledge. Thousands of people will win prizes for playing "
Fantasy Election '12," with the first daily prizes set to be given away next week. One grand prize winner will win a "Fantasy VMA Weekend" that includes a trip for the winner and three friends to attend the 2013 MTV "Video Music Awards," along with $25,000 cash. For more information or to start a league, head to FantasyElection.MTV.com.
Building on MTV's nearly 20-year Emmy and Peabody Award-winning political legacy with "Choose or Lose," MTV's "Power of 12" campaign is built specifically to reflect the Millennial generation and changes in the economic and political climate, and is designed to empower them to have a major impact on Election Day and beyond. 45 million 18-29 year olds will be eligible to vote in the 2012 election, representing the largest potential voting bloc in the country.
For information on MTV's "Power of 12" campaign please visit www.Powerof12.org or to follow MTV News' political coverage, head to www.MTV.com/news.
About Andrew Jenks:
Andrew Jenks is an award-winning filmmaker, creator of MTV's critically-acclaimed series "World of Jenks" and a correspondent for MTV's 2012 Election campaign, "Power of 12." As the face of MTV's "Power of 12" campaign, Jenks is charged with informing, engaging and amplifying the voices of his generation throughout the 2012 election. "World of Jenks" is scheduled to return to MTV for a second season with expanded hour-long episodes on November 12, 2012. In the reinvented season, Jenks brings a new approach to his storytelling, as he captures the unforgettable journeys of three young people and their unique experiences over the course of a year.
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its Emmy(R), Grammy(R) and Peabody(R) award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. MTV's sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unparalleled customized content for young males, music fans and college students, and its online hub MTV.com is a leading destination for music, news and pop culture. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
About National Journal
National Journal is Washington's premier source for 360-degree insight on politics and policy. With up-to-the-minute breaking news and analysis at NationalJournal.com, the essential congressional intelligence of National Journal Daily, the knowledge and depth of National Journal magazine, and the comprehensive campaign coverage of National Journal Hotline, National Journal delivers everything you need to know to stay ahead of the curve in Washington. Follow National Journal on Twitter (@nationaljournal) and Facebook (facebook.com/NationalJournal).