ESPN Ranks First in Perceived Value among Cable Networks for Thirteenth Consecutive Year
Disney and ESPN Media Networks Earn High Praise in Beta Cable Operator Study
In Beta Research Corp's annual Cable Operator Evaluation Study, operators named ESPN the network with the most average perceived value among all networks measured for the thirteenth straight year. It was also ranked the most important network in their cable system for the ninth straight year with 95% of operators describing ESPN as "very important" for subscriber retention and acquisition.
Among unaided mentions, operators voted both ESPN and the Disney and ESPN Media Networks best network and organization in nearly every category in the study, including most effective in selling broadband/high-speed Internet or interactive television as well as most helpful with:
· Providing the best overall marketing services
· Providing programs on multi-platforms
· High-definition programming
· Driving VOD or SVOD efforts
· ESPN2 ranked second in average perceived value among cable operators for the eighth straight year. The network also ranked #5 as the most important network to operators among the 46 measured networks, up from #9 in 2011.
· The Disney Channel ranked fourth in greatest perceived value and second in importance of network to cable operators.
· Disney and ESPN Media Networks ranked first for the most visited and highest rated affiliate website as well as most helpful in selling high-speed Internet, HDTV and/or VOD.
Further, in the Beta Local Ad Sales Executive study - which was also released on Wednesday, Feb. 27 - ESPN ranked first among unaided mentions for the ninth straight year as the network that has the most valuable programming to help create local ad sales revenue among major networks. Additionally, Disney and ESPN Networks ranked first for the ninth straight year in terms of having the most appealing demographics.
The Beta Cable Operator study conducted 102 interviews with a range of representatives from individual cable systems between August and November 2012. The Beta Research Corp study measures perceived value of networks to cable systems; importance of networks to cable systems; overall evaluation of affiliate representatives and affiliate websites; best marketing support services helpful with broadband, iTV, HDTV and VOD efforts; helpfulness of network organizations on selling high-speed Internet, HDTV and/or video on demand; and unaided mention of a network and/or organization in providing programming for smartphones and tablets and in helping with HD programming. The Beta Local Ad Sales Executive study surveyed 100 local ad sales executives between November 2012 and January 2013.