GLOBAL MYSTERY SOLVED: INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY DID IT!
- Worldwide Mystery and Suspense Brand Reaches More than 100 Million Viewers Outside of the US with the Launch of Investigation Discovery in Denmark on November 1 -
(London, United Kingdom, October 31, 2014) - On Saturday, November 1, Investigation Discovery will launch in Denmark, catapulting the mystery and suspense network to reach more than 100 million viewers outside of the United States. Since Investigation Discovery debuted in February 2008, it has been one of the fastest-growing networks in U.S. cable television and has seen a parallel growth track internationally. With the U.S. and international audiences combined, Investigation Discovery now reaches more than 185 million viewers across the globe.
"Propelled by its momentum in the U.S., Investigation Discovery has become a global phenomenon," said JB Perrette, President, Discovery Networks International. "From India to Italy, and from Britain to Brazil, the formula of immersive storytelling around crime, mystery and suspense has audiences craving more. We will continue our march to expand the reach and market share of Investigation Discovery around the globe."
Launched in the US just over six years ago and led by Group President Henry Schleiff, Investigation Discovery has grown from a top 50 network to a top 5 network for women. Investigation Discovery also has demonstrated incredible loyalty from its viewers, ranking as the #1 network for viewer satisfaction in the Beta Research Digital Cable Subscriber Study and achieving the longest length of tune in all of television among women 25-54.
"When I joined Discovery Communications in 2009, I knew that Investigation Discovery could become a top ten brand in the U.S. and could also feed an international appetite for compelling, emotional mysteries," said Schleiff. "These incredible true stories of human nature are, indeed, universal, as demonstrated by the prolific success of the content around the world."
Investigation Discovery began its international rollout in 2009, launching in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Greece, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Latvia. In 2011, Investigation Discovery launched in the Netherlands, and, in 2012, launched across Latin America. In 2014, the channel launched in India and South Africa, and a second channel, ID Xtra, was launched to super-serve fans across Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Some of the numerous examples of Investigation Discovery's international success to celebrate this milestone include:
· In the United Kingdom, Investigation Discovery is the number one factual channel for women on pay television.
· In Poland, since its launch in 2012, ID is the #1 mystery and suspense channel in the market and the local version of STALKED aired as a public service campaign with the local police authorities to raise awareness of the increase in stalking cases as a serious crime.
· In Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and Argentina, Investigation Discovery continues to experience year over year growth, more than 40% with W25-54.
· In Brazil, DEADLY AFFAIRS is hosted by a local celebrity, and promos for the series hit nearly five million viewers on YouTube on its launch date.
· In Colombia, Investigation Discovery ranks among the top five pay television networks with W25-54.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity, engaging and entertaining viewers with high-quality content on worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Science, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery also controls Eurosport International, a premier sports entertainment group, including six pay-TV network brands across Europe and Asia. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.