"MR. ROBOT" RETURNS TO SXSW FESTIVAL WITH MASSIVE 10-STORY FERRIS WHEEL FROM FSOCIETY HEADQUARTERS IN AWARD-WINNING USA NETWORK SERIES
4-Day Activation Includes Expansive Re-creation of Hacker Den with Customized Games and Giveaways for Festival-Goers in Downtown Austin from March 11 through March 14
Panel Discussion with Rami Malek, Christian Slater and Executive Producer Sam Esmail on March 13
NEW YORK, NY - February 17, 2016 - USA Network is bringing the world of MR. ROBOT to SXSW with a custom, series-inspired footprint. Beginning Friday, March 11 - Monday, March 14, attendees will become immersed in the fsociety space, complete with a one-of-a-kind 100-foot Ferris wheel, hacker den and retro arcade.
The massive re-imagination will consume the full Congress Avenue parking lot with more than six customized experiences. Throughout the festival, USA will distribute promotional giveaways including t-shirts, fsociety masks and shareable photos.
Complete elements of the fsociety Coney Island arcade experience include:
· MR. ROBOT FERRIS WHEEL - A nod to the series' iconic backdrop, the first of its kind, 100-foot Ferris wheel will stand in the heart of downtown Austin (West 4th Street and Congress). From 11:00am - 10:00pm, fans can board one of the 20-branded gondolas for a full, complimentary 360-degree view of the city.
· HACKER ARCADE - Similar to the underground fsociety lair, the recreated arcade will feature popular retro games for attendees.
· PHOTO BOOTH - To become one of the fsociety hackers, festival-goers can stop by the provocative MR. ROBOT photo booth and share the creed of the 99%. They'll be immersed in the story and stand alongside the hacktivists behind the masks.
· THEMED GIVEAWAY - In tandem with the 90's style of the drama series, consumers can visit the screen-printing t-shirt bar and walk away with their own wearable, limited-edition custom MR. ROBOT prints.
· GRAFFITI ART INSTALLATION - Standing 8-feet tall, the freestanding art wall will display MR. ROBOT fsociety wild postings and stencil artwork.
· HACKER LOUNGE - To unwind, fans can relax in the vintage, basement-inspired hacker lounge with monitors playing the series' pilot episode daily.
The weekend also brings together MR. ROBOT stars Rami Malek and Christian Slater as well as executive producer Sam Esmail for a panel discussion on "Authenticity on TV." During the one-hour Q&A on Sunday, March 13 at 12:30pm at the Austin Convention Center, panelists will discuss the realistic depiction of tech culture on the hit series and why authenticity matters when it comes to attracting and maintaining contemporary audiences.
Since the premiere, MR. ROBOT has received three Golden Globe(R) Award nominations and two wins including Best Drama, a SAG(R) Award nomination, four Critics' Choice(R) Award nominations and three wins, two Writers Guild(R) Award nominations and one win for Best New Series, and three IPA Satellite(R) Award nominations. The series was selected for an AFI Award for Television Program of the Year, won a Gotham Independent Film Award for Breakthrough Long Form Series, had its world premiere at last year's SXSW Festival where it took home the coveted Audience Award in the Episodics category and was an official selection at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival.
From Universal Cable Productions, the series stars Golden Globe Award and SAG(R) Award Nominee Rami Malek ("The Pacific"), Golden Globe Award Winner Christian Slater ("Nymphomaniac"), Portia Doubleday ("Her") and Carly Chaikin ("Suburgatory"). Grace Gummer ("The Extant") will join the cast as a series regular for Season 2. The drama hails from writer and executive producer Sam Esmail ("Comet") as well as Anonymous Content executive producers Steve Golin ("True Detective") and Chad Hamilton ("Breakup at a Wedding").
About USA Network:
USA Network, the leader in cable entertainment, offers a powerful stable of dramatic, comedic and unscripted originals in more than 102 million U.S. homes. The network also features spectacular live television, a dynamic portfolio of acquired series and the best in blockbuster theatrical films and entertainment events. A trailblazer in digital innovation and storytelling, USA is defining, driving and setting the industry standard for Social TV. USA is a program service of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, a division of NBCUniversal. USA's award-winning website is located at http://www.usanetwork.com. Watch USA Network anywhere: On Demand, online or across mobile and connected TVs.
About Universal Cable Productions:
Universal Cable Productions (UCP) creates innovative and critically acclaimed original scripted and digital content across media platforms for domestic and international distribution. In the U.S., UCP's programming can be seen across various networks including the Golden Globe award-winning drama "Mr. Robot," "Colony," "Playing House," "Royal Pains" and "Suits" on USA Network; "The Magicians," "12 Monkeys," "Hunters" and "Killjoys" on Syfy; "Girlfriends' Guide To Divorce" on Bravo; "The Royals," on E!; "Difficult People," on Hulu; and "Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome" on Machinima Prime/YouTube and Syfy. UCP's content library includes critic and fan favorites such as the Emmy-award winning "Monk" as well as "Psych" and "Battlestar Galactica." Universal Cable Productions is a part of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, a division of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. Follow us @UCPisTV.