Amazon Studios Greenlights "Utopia," Signs Gillian Flynn to Overall Deal
Flynn, the award-winning, best-selling author and screenwriter of Gone Girl and Sharp Objects, will be the creator, executive producer and showrunner of Utopia, a new series exclusively for Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories
SEATTLE -- Apr. 19, 2018 -- (NASDAQ: AMZN) -- Amazon Studios announced today that it has greenlit a straight-to-series order for Utopia, a nine-episode series from award-winning Gillian Flynn, the best-selling author and screenwriter of Golden Globe nominated Gone Girl and HBO's highly anticipated Sharp Objects. Flynn has also inked an overall deal with Amazon Studios across television, marking Utopia as the first project. Utopia will be available exclusively on Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories.
Utopia is based on the British series of the same name written by Dennis Kelly. The series is a co-production between Endemol Shine North America and Kudos, an Endemol Shine Group UK production studio, and Amazon Studios.
A group of young adults, who meet online, are mercilessly hunted by a shadowy deep state organization after they come in to possession of a near mythical cult underground graphic novel - they discover the conspiracy theories in the comic's pages may actually be real and are forced in to the dangerous, unique and ironic position of saving the world.
"We are huge fans of Gillian Flynn's electrifying work," said Nick Hall, Head of Alternative Series for Amazon Studios. "She crafts stories that hold her audience in a constant state of suspense and subverts the expectations behind her characters. She will deliver Prime Video members a series they won't forget, and Utopia's relevance is sure to connect with viewers around the globe."
"Utopia is pure creative catnip to me. Dennis Kelly's show blew my mind, and he has been so incredibly generous in letting me crack open his world and play around in it and make it my own weird, wild place. Utopia is all about exploring resonant issues within dark, twisted storytelling--it's a series that's urgent and current and a little holy-crap!, but a hell of a lot of a fun," said Gillian Flynn.
Diederick Santer, CEO of Kudos said; "Dennis Kelly and the team at Kudos created a unique, dark and gripping British thriller, and we are incredibly excited that it has been so brilliantly reimagined by Gillian Flynn for a new global audience."
Flynn is the creator, executive producer and showrunner of Utopia, and executive producers include Jessica Rhoades (who Flynn collaborated with on Sharp Objects), Sharon Hall, Karen Wilson, Dennis Kelly and Diederick Santer. Sharon Levy, President, Unscripted & Scripted Television, Endemol Shine North America, will oversee production for Endemol Shine.
Prime Original series are available for Prime members to stream and enjoy using the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Amazon Fire TV, and mobile devices, or online with other Prime Original series at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership. Eligible customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime. For a list of all Prime Video compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream. Content is available through the Prime Video app and PrimeVideo.com in more than 200 countries and territories.
About Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch - all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place.
· Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, including our award-winning Prime Originals such as The Grand Tour, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Sneaky Pete, Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea and The Salesman and Academy Award-nominated The Big Sick, exclusives, live sports and licensed and self-published content available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide
· Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 100+ channels like HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, CBS All Access, Cinemax, and more--no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. To view the full list of channels available, visit www.amazon.com/channels
· Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
· Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Prime Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablets and Apple TV or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
· Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive access and discounts to select items, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.