[06/05/23 - 08:00 AM] HBO Original Documentary "The Stroll" Debuts June 21 The film is Kristen Lovell's directorial debut and had its world premiere at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival to critical acclaim.
[via press release from HBO]
HBO Original Documentary THE STROLL Debuts June 21
A Powerful And Poignant History Of Transgender Sex Workers In New York's Pre-Gentrified Meatpacking District
· HBO Original documentary film THE STROLL, directed by Kristen Lovell and Zackary Drucker (HBO's "The Lady and The Dale"), debuts WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO and will be available to stream on Max coinciding with LGBTQ Pride Month. The film is Lovell's directorial debut and had its world premiere at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival to critical acclaim.
· When Director Kristen Lovell moved to New York City in the 1990s and began to transition, she was fired from her job. With so few options to earn money to survive, Kristen, like many transgender women of color during this era, began sex work in an area known as "The Stroll" in the Meatpacking District of lower Manhattan, where trans women congregated and forged a deep camaraderie to protect each other from harassment and violence.
· Reuniting her sisters to tell this essential New York story from their first-hand experiences, Kristen's intimate narration and interviews bring an astonishing array of archival material of bygone New York from the 1970s through the early 2000s to life. As much as THE STROLL is a film about transgender life, it is also a startling account of gentrification, as New York City Mayor Giuliani enacted "quality of life" initiatives that ramped up policing in the city and pushed the sex workers out of the neighborhood. Despite the forces that threatened their survival, Kristen and her sisters fought back. They no longer have "The Stroll," but they are at the center of a movement to protect their rights; activists recently reversed legislation dubbed "Walking While Trans," which enabled police profiling and harassment of transgender people for decades. In this new era of visibility and activism, THE STROLL reminds us that trans women of color and sex workers continue to forge a path forward, thriving through their resilience, community organizing and sisterhood.
· Featured Participants In Order of Appearance: Kristen (The Stroll, 1997-2005), Egyptt (The Stroll, 1983-2001), Cashmere (The Stroll, 1994-2000), Ceyenne (The Stroll, 1980-2005), Tabytha (The Stroll, 1993-1997), Stephanie (The Stroll, 1999-2001), Elizabeth (The Stroll, 1998-2001), Lady P (The Stroll, 1985 - 2005), Carey (The Stroll, 1996-2009), Brenda (The Stroll, 1990-2005), Christy (The Stroll, 1998-2000), Nicole (The Stroll, 1996-2010).
· Credits: HBO Documentary Films presents THE STROLL. Directed by Kristen Lovell and Zackary Drucker; producer, Matt Wolf; executive producers, Carlos King, Scott Shatsky. For HBO: executive producers, Nancy Abraham, Lisa Heller, and Sara Rodriguez.
[09/28/23 - 09:00 AM] HBO Original Documentary "No Accident" Debuts October 10 In the aftermath of the deadly Charlottesville, Virginia "Unite the Right" white nationalist rally in 2017, attorneys Roberta "Robbie" Kaplan and Karen Dunn filed a civil lawsuit against 17 white nationalist leaders and organizations on behalf of nine plaintiffs who suffered physical and emotional injuries while peacefully counter protesting the rally.
[09/28/23 - 08:10 AM] XFL and USFL Announce Intent to Merge Subject to customary regulatory approvals and if the transaction is consummated, the new league will establish best-in-class operations based on the most recent seasons of both leagues.