Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of July 5, 2010
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC Grows Year to Year for the 8th Week in a Row,
Enjoying its Most-Watched Summer in 9 Years
ABC Airs 3 of the Week's Top 15 Prime TV Shows
in Both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC is Monday's No. 1 Net for the 5th Straight Week, Registering its Longest Winning Streak on the Night Among Young Viewers in More Than 3 Years
ABC's "The Bachelorette" Wins its Time Period for the 6th Straight Week in
Total Viewers and Young Adults, Ranking No. 1 in Each Half-Hour
On Average Year to Year, "The Bachelorette" is Up
By 1.2 Million Viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49
At 10pm, "True Beauty" is No. 1 in Women 18-49 and
Women 25-54 for the 4th Consecutive Week
ABC's Tuesday Lineup is Up Week to Week in Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC's "Wipeout" Posts Increases of 7% in Viewers and 15% in Adults 18-49,
While Winning its Hour Among Adults 25-54 and Key Men for the 3rd Straight Week
"Wipeout" Hits Season Highs Across All Key Men Demographics
"Primetime: Family Secrets" Season Opener Posts Increases
Over its Year-Ago Premiere in Both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
More than Doubling its Numbers Year to Year, ABC Builds Over the
Year-Ago Thursday for the 5th Straight Week in Viewers and Young Adults
Up Against the Season Premiere of "Big Brother," ABC's "Wipeout" Finishes as
The Most-Watched TV Show in the 8 O'clock Hour for the 3rd Week in a Row
The Summer's No. 1 New TV Series, ABC's "Rookie Blue"
Continues to Generate Big Time-Period Improvement
"Boston Med" Boosts the 10pm Hour Year to Year
For ABC by 2.7 Million Viewers and by 83% in Adults 18-49
ABC News' "Primetime: What Would You Do?" Turns in the Net's Strongest
Summer Performance in the Friday 9pm Time Period in Over 3 Years
ABC News' "20/20" Leads at 10pm in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54
WEEK No. 42:
During the week of 7/5/10, ABC's primetime numbers saw increases week to week of 9% in Total Viewers (4.9 million vs. 4.5 million) and by 8% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 vs. 1.3/4). In addition, the Net was up over the same week last year (w/o 7/06/09) by 14% in Total Viewers (4.9 million vs. 4.3 million) and 8% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 vs. 1.3/4). In fact the Network turned in its 8th straight week of year-to year gains with both viewers and young adults.
· Compared to the same point last year, ABC's summer results are up by 25% in Total Viewers (6.4 million vs. 5.1 million) and by 24% in Adults 18-49 (2.1/7 vs. 1.7/5). In fact ABC is generating its most-watched summer in 9 years - since 2001.
Rankings: ABC claimed 3 of the week's Top 15 primetime TV programs in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49: "The Bachelorette" - No. 5/No. 7, "Wipeout-TUES" - No. 6/No. 6, and "Wipeout-THURS" - No. 11/No. 12. ABC's "The Bachelorette" stood as the week's No. 1 show with Women 18-49 and Women 25-54. ABC News' claimed the Top 2 newsmagazines of the week with Friday's "Primetime: What Would You Do?" and "20/20" in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. In fact among Adults 18-49, ABC News delivered TV's highest-rated newsmagazine for the 5th time in 6 weeks.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 37% currently, from 32% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
On the Monday of the extended 4th of July holiday weekend, ABC finished as the most-watched network overall for the 3rd week in a row and ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for the 5th consecutive Monday. In fact ABC is registering its longest Adult 18-49 winning streak on the night in more than 3 years - since April-May 2007. The Network topped its nearest primetime competition (CBS) by 13% in Total Viewers (7.8 million vs. 6.9 million) and by 33% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/7 vs. 1.8/5).
· Building its overall Monday audience year to year for the 6th week in a row, ABC was up from the same night last year in viewers and young adults (6.6 million and 2.3/7 on 7/6/09).
Please Note: With the observation of the 4th of July holiday falling on Monday, overall TV usage levels declined week to week, as Households Using Television during primetime dropped to 57.5% from 58.7% on 6/28/10.
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:02 p.m.)
ABC's "The Bachelorette" ranked a strong No. 1 in its time period for the 6th week running, beating its closest time period competition (CBS) by 2.3 million viewers (9.1 million vs. 6.8 million) and by 40% in Adults 18-49 (2.8/8 vs. 2.0/6). The veteran ABC unscripted series won all 4 of its half-hours in viewers and young adults. During its final half-hour (9:30-10:00 p.m.), featuring Chris Harrison's interview with Jake and Vienna, "The Bachelorette" drew an average audience of 10.1 million viewers and 3.1/9 in Adults 18-49.
· "The Bachelorette" registered as Monday's No. 1 TV show in Adults 18-49 for the 4th week in a row, and for the 6th week running stood as the evening's dominant No. 1 television program across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
· On average, "The Bachelorette" is up over its performance at the same point last year by 1.2 million (9.0 million vs. 7.8 million) viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49 (3.0/9 vs. 2.8/8).
"True Beauty" (10:02-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's "True Beauty" ranked No. 1 in the 10 o'clock hour for the 4th week in a row with key Women (W18-49/W25-54).
· On average, "True Beauty" is growing its time period this summer for ABC by 6% in Total Viewers (5.1 million vs. 4.7 million).
ABC's Tuesday lineup saw week-to-week increases of 4% in Total Viewers (5.4 million vs. 5.2 million) and 6% among Adults 18-49 (1.8/5 vs. 1.7/5).
"Wipeout-TUES" (8:00-9:01 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout," featuring a "Couples" edition, improved over the prior week by 7% in Total Viewers (8.8 million vs. 8.2 million) and by 15% in Adults 18-49 (3.0/10 vs. 2.6/9). The broad-appealing unscripted series won its hour for the 3rd week in a row among Adults 25-54 and key Men (M18-49/M25-54). "Wipeout" finished in a virtual tie for No. 1 among Adults 18-49 with Fox's "Hell's Kitchen" (3.0/10 vs. 3.1/10).
· "Wipeout" hit season highs across all key Men demographics: (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54).
"Primetime: Family Secrets" (10:01-11:00 p.m.)
In the 10 o'clock hour, the season premiere of ABC News' "Primetime: Family Secrets" was up over its year-ago premiere (6/23/09) in both Total Viewers (+15% - 3.8 million vs. 3.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (+9% - 1.2/4 vs. 1.1/3).
ABC (1.7/5), CBS (1.8/6) and Fox (1.7/5) finished in a virtual tie for the broadcast network lead on Thursday in Adults 18-49.
· ABC once again exhibited strong year-to-year improvement on Thursday, more than doubling its numbers from the same night last summer (7/9/09) among Total Viewers (+137% - 6.4 million vs. 2.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (+113% - 1.7/5 vs. 0.8/3). In fact the Network registered its 5th straight Thursday of year-to-year primetime gains.
"Wipeout-THURS" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Up against CBS' season premiere of "Big Brother 12," ABC's "Wipeout" finished as the most-watched program (7.9 million) in the 8 o'clock hour for the 3rd week in a row. The ABC unscripted series also held the No. 1 position in the hour for the 3rd week running among Adults 25-54 (3.0/9) and key Men (M18-49/M25-54). In addition, among Total Viewers (7.9 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.4/8), ABC marked its best-ever performance against the Thursday premiere of "Big Brother."
· For the 3rd consecutive week, Wipeout qualified as Thursday's No. 1 TV series in Adults 25-54 and key Men (M18-49/M25-54).
"Rookie Blue" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
TV's No. 1 new series of the summer, ABC's "Rookie Blue" ran a strong second against its established series competition on CBS ("CSI"), NBC ("Community"/"Community") and Fox ("So You Think You Can Dance") in its time period among Total Viewers (6.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.6/5). Please Note: ESPN's highly-anticipated LeBron James "Decision" special aired live in the hour (ET).
· "Rookie Blue" continued to produce big year-to-year gains for ABC in the hour among Total Viewers (+3.6 million - 6.2 million vs. 2.6 million) and in Adults 18-49 (+88% - 1.5/5 vs. 0.8/2), over its performance on the year-ago night.
"Boston Med" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC News' "Boston Med" took second place in the 10 o'clock hour against its CBS and NBC competition with Total Viewers (4.9 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.1/4).
· Versus the year-ago night, "Boston Med" boosted the 10 o'clock hour for ABC by 2.7 million viewers and by 83% in Adults 18-49 (2.2 million and 0.6/2).
ABC ranked No. 1 against its network rivals on Friday in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5), outdelivering NBC by 27% (1.1/4), CBS by 40% (1.0/4) and Fox by 100% (0.7/3). In addition, ABC delivered its top summer performance (Memorial Day - Labor Day) on the night in the key young adult demo in 3 years - since 7/13/07.
"Primetime: What Would You Do?" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Building sharply on its lead-in (+1.3 mil/+45% in AD18-49), ABC News' "Primetime: What Would You Do?" topped the 9 o'clock hour and stood as the No. 1 program on the night among its network rivals among Adults 18-49 (1.6/6) and Adults 25-54 (1.9/6).
· "Primetime: What Would You Do" turned in ABC's strongest summer numbers in the hour among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 in over 3 years - since 6/1/07.
"20/20" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC News' "20/20" ranked No. 1 in the 10 o'clock hour among Adults 18-49 (1.4/5) and Adults 25-54 (1.9/6). "20/20" featured Jim Avila's talk with a Baptist minister convicted of murdering his wife and staging it as a suicide.
"America's Funniest Home Videos" (7:00-8:00 p.m.)
ABC's repeat telecast of "America's Funniest Home Videos" hit summer highs in both Total Viewers (5.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.4/5), leading the 7 o'clock hour in the key young adult demographic for the second week in a row.
· With the replay "AFV," ABC was up in the hour over the year-ago night by 18% in Total Viewers (5.3 million vs. 4.5 million) and by 40% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 vs. 1.0/4).
"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Opposite the Sunday premiere of CBS' "Big Brother," ABC's rebroadcast "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" matched a summer-high in Total Viewers (4.8 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.3/4).
Source: The Nielsen Company (National Live+Same Day Program Ratings), week of 7/5/10, unless stated otherwise. Summer = 5/31-7/11/10 vs. 5/25-7/12/09.