Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of July 19, 2010
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
Growing its Numbers Year to Year for the 10th Straight Week,
ABC Generates its Most-Watched Summer Frame in 9 Years
ABC Delivers 3 of the Week's Top 7 Programs in Adults 18-49,
Including the No. 1 TV Show Overall with "The Bachelorette"
ABC News Airs TV's Top 2 Newsmagazines in Adults 18-49 with Friday's "20/20" and "Primetime," Claiming the Top Spot for the 6th Week Running
Hitting Summer Highs, ABC is Monday's No. 1 Net for the 5th Straight
Week in Total Viewers and for 7th Week in a Row Among Adults 18-49
ABC's "The Bachelorette" Leads its 2-Hour Time Period for the 7th Week Running
In Total Viewers and Young Adults, Ranking No. 1 in Each Half-Hour
Excluding Season Finales, "The Bachelorette" Draws its Most-Watched Telecast
Since February 2004 and Top Adults 18-49 Performance Since February 2005
On Average Year to Year, "The Bachelorette" is Up
By 1.6 Million Viewers and by 14% in Adults 18-49
With its Season Finale, "True Beauty" is No. 1 Among Adults 18-49
For the 2nd Week in a Row Against its CBS and NBC Competition
ABC's "Wipeout" Leads the Tuesday 8 O'clock Hour in Adults 18-49
For the 3rd Time in its Last 4 Original Telecasts
"Wipeout" Hits Season Highs Among Adults 18-34 and Men 18-34
"Downfall" Improves on the Net's Year-Ago Results in Viewers and Young Adults
ABC's "Wipeout" Beats "Big Brother," Winning the 8pm Hour and Standing as Thursday's No. 1 Show in Viewers and Young Adults for the 2nd Straight Week
The Summer's No. 1 New TV Series, ABC's "Rookie Blue"
Takes Second Thursday at 9pm in Viewers and Young Adults
"Boston Med" Grows Thursday's 10pm Hour Year to Year
For ABC by 2.3 Million Viewers and by 83% in Adults 18-49
ABC News' "Primetime: What Would You Do?" Leads Friday's
9 o'clock Hour in Adults 25-54 for the 3rd Week in a Row
ABC News' "20/20" Wins the 10pm Hour and is Friday's
No. 1 TV Program in Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54
WEEK No. 44:
Growing year to year for the 10th week running, ABC ranked No. 2 during the week of July 19, 2010 among Total Viewers (5.0 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.5/5). In fact ABC has finished 1st or 2nd in the key young Adult sales demo on nearly every week this summer (6 of 8 weeks). For the 3rd straight week, ABC was the No. 1 net with key Women: W18-49 (1.9/6-tie) and W25-54 (2.3/7).
· The Network's results surged over the same week last year by 1.0 million viewers and 15% in Adults 18-49 (w/o 7/20/09 = 4.0 million and 1.3/4), posting its 10th consecutive week of year-over-year gains on both counts.
· Compared to the same point last year, ABC's summer results are up by 24% in Total Viewers (6.1 million vs. 4.9 million) and by 25% in Adults 18-49 (2.0/6 vs. 1.6/5). In fact the Net is producing its most-watched summer in 9 years - since 2001.
Rankings: ABC claimed 3 of the Top 7 TV programs for the week in Adults 18-49, including the No. 1 show with "The Bachelorette": "The Bachelorette" - No. 1, "Wipeout-TUES" - No. 4 and "Wipeout-THURS" - No. 7. The Net also aired 3 of the Top 6 most-watched television shows overall during the week: "The Bachelorette" - No. 2, "Wipeout-TUES" - No. 5 and "Wipeout-THURS" - No. 6. For the 4th week in a row, ABC's "The Bachelorette" qualified as the No. 1 TV show with key Women (W18-49/W25-54). ABC News owned the Top 2 newsmagazines of the week with Friday's "20/20" and "Primetime: What Would You Do?" in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. Among Adults 18-49, ABC News delivered TV's No. 1 newsmagazine for the 6th week in a row and for the 7th time in the last 8 weeks this summer.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 37% currently, from 32% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Growing from the previous Monday for the 2nd week in a row, ABC stood as the most-watched network overall for the 5th week in a row and ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for the 7th straight Monday, posting a summer-high performance in both Nielsen measures. The Network beat its nearest primetime competition (CBS) by 2.6 million viewers (8.5 million vs. 5.9 million) and by 61% in Adults 18-49 (2.9/9 vs. 1.8/5).
· Building its overall Monday audience year to year for the 8th time in 8 weeks, ABC improved on the same night last year in viewers and young adults (7.4 million and 2.6/8 on 7/20/09).
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:02 p.m.)
ABC's "The Bachelorette" ranked a strong No. 1 in its time period for the 8th consecutive week, beating its closest time period competition (CBS) by 3.9 million viewers (10.1 million vs. 6.2 million) and by 70% (3.4/10 vs. 2.0/6). The veteran ABC unscripted series won all 4 of its half-hours in viewers and young adults.
· "The Bachelorette" registered as Monday's No. 1 TV show in Adults 18-49 for the 6th week in a row, and for the 8th week running stood the evening's dominant No. 1 television program across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
· "The Bachelorette" achieved season-highs in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49. In fact excluding season finales, the series drew its biggest audience since February 2004 (since 2/18/04 during Season 2) and its highest Adult 18-49 rating since February 2005 (since 2/21/05 during Season 3).
· On average, "The Bachelorette" is up over its performance at the same point last year by 1.6 million viewers (9.6 million vs. 8.0 million) and by 14% in Adults 18-49 (3.2/9 vs. 2.8/8).
"True Beauty" (10:02-11:00 p.m.)
With its season finale, ABC's "True Beauty" ranked No. 1 in the 10 o'clock hour against its CBS and NBC competition among Adults 18-49 (1.8/5) for the 2nd straight week.
· On average during its run, "True Beauty" improved its time period this summer for ABC by 6% in Total Viewers (5.3 million vs. 5.0 million) over the same weeks last year.
For the 2nd week in a row, ABC's Tuesday lineup improved on the same night last year (7/21/09) in Total Viewers (+1.6 million - 4.9 million vs. 3.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (+55% - 1.7/5 vs. 1.1/3). In fact the Net is up over the year-ago night for the 7th time in 8 weeks this summer.
"Wipeout-TUES" (8:00-9:01 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout" won its hour for the 3rd time in its last 4 original telecasts in the time-slot among Adults 18-49 (2.9/10), topping Fox's "Hell's Kitchen" by 7% (2.7/9). In fact, the ABC unscripted series ranked No. 1 in the hour for the 4th original airing in a row among Adults 25-54 and key Men (M18-49/M25-54).
· "Wipeout" hit season-highs among Adults 18-34 (2.5/9) and Men (2.3/9). In fact, "Wipeout" equaled its top Adults 18-34 performance in nearly 2 years - since 7/29/08.
"Downfall" (9:01-10:01 p.m.)
Against well-established competition in the hour on NBC ("America's Got Talent"), CBS ("NCIS: Los Angeles") and Fox ("Hell's Kitchen"), "Downfall" improved ABC's deliveries on the same night last year by 1.4 million viewers (3.2 million vs. 1.8 million) and by 57% in Adults 18-49 (1.1/3 vs. 0.7/2).
ABC's summer Thursday lineup ranked No. 1 on the night against its broadcast rivals in Adults 18-49 (1.7/6-tie) for the 2nd consecutive week.
· Delivering substantial year-to-year improvement on Thursday, ABC more than doubled its performance from the same night last summer (7/23/09) in Total Viewers (+3.6 million - 6.3 million vs. 2.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (+113% - 1.7/6 vs. 0.8/2). In fact the Network saw its 7th straight Thursday of year-to-year primetime gains.
"Wipeout-THURS" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout" led the 8 o'clock hour in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, beating its unscripted competition in the time period, CBS' "Big Brother 12," in Total Viewers (+1.2 million - 7.9 million vs. 6.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (+18% - 2.6/9 vs. 2.2/9) for the 2nd straight week. In fact, the ABC unscripted series has ranked No. 1 in the 8:00 p.m. hour in the key young adult demo for 4th time in the last 5 weeks, while holding the No. 1 position the 5th week in Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 (3.0/10) and key Men (M18-49/M25-54).
· "Wipeout" stood as Thursday's No. 1 program in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 for the 2nd week in a row.
"Rookie Blue" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
TV's No. 1 new series of the summer, ABC's "Rookie Blue" ran a strong second at 9:00 p.m. among the broadcast networks in Total Viewers (6.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.5/6).
· "Rookie Blue" continued to post strong year-to-year increases for ABC in the hour, more than doubling the Net's performance among Total Viewers (+3.8 million - 6.5 million vs. 2.7 million) and in Adults 18-49 (+88% - 1.5/6 vs. 0.8/3) over its performance on the year-ago night.
"Boston Med" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC News' "Boston Med" took second place in the 10 o'clock hour against its CBS and NBC competition with Total Viewers (4.5 million) and Women 25-54 (2.0/5).
· Versus the year-ago night, "Boston Med" boosted the 10 o'clock hour for ABC by 2.3 million viewers (4.5 million vs. 2.2 million) and by 83% in Adults 18-49 (1.1/4 vs. 0.6/2).
For the 3rd consecutive week, ABC ranked No. 1 among the broadcast networks on Friday in Adults 18-49 (1.5/6), beating NBC by 36% (1.1/4), CBS by 50% (1.0/4) and Fox by 67% (0.9/3). In fact, ABC posted its strongest summer performance in the key young adult demo in over 3 years - since 6/8/07.
"Wife Swap" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Wife Swap" delivered its best numbers of the summer in both Total Viewers (3.8 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.2/5).
· "Wife Swap" substantially improved ABC's performance in the hour from the same night last year (7/24/09) in both viewers (+2.0 million - 3.8 million vs. 1.8 million) and young adults (+100% - 1.2/5 vs. 0.6/2).
"Primetime: What Would You Do?" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
An encore telecast of ABC News' "Primetime: What Would You Do?" led the 9 o'clock hour in Total Viewers (5.0 million) and Adults 25-54 (1.9/6). In fact, the ABC newsmagazine has ranked No. 1 at 9:00 p.m. in the Adults 25-54 news demo for the 3rd consecutive week and for the 4th time in the last 5 weeks.
"20/20" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC News' "20/20" won the final hour of prime in Total Viewers (6.3 million), Adults 18-49 (1.8/7) and Adults 25-54 (2.3/7), taking the top spot in the 2 key adult demographics for the 3rd week running. In addition, the ABC newsmagazine hit summer highs among Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the 2nd straight week.
· "20/20" registered as Friday's No. 1 program in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54, standing as the night's top program in the key Adults 25-54 news demo for the 3rd week in a row and for the 4th time in the last 5 weeks.
Source: The Nielsen Company (National Live+Same Day Program Ratings), week of 7/19/10, unless stated otherwise. Summer = 5/31-7/25/10 vs. 5/25-7/26/09.