In Week 2, Sons of Anarchy continued to excel -- ranking as most-watched program in basic cable last night in M18-49 and the second most-watched in P18-49, behind the second season finale of Teen Mom/MTV. Additionally, a week-week-gain in W18-34 made for Sons' most-watched episode in its history in that demo. Additional superlatives below. All data is Live+Same Day 000s; complete data sets attached.
Week to Week: SOA retained a solid 84% of its week-ago third season premiere in P18-49 (2,370 vs. 2,814), stronger than last year's Week 1-2 retention (81%). M18-49 retention was stronger than W18-49 (87% vs. 80%); and P18-34 was stronger than P25-54 (91% vs. 81%). In fact, an uptick in W18-34 made for SOA posting its most-watched telecast in history in that demo. Key competitive notes in the time period include (P18-49):
· MTV: the second season finale of Teen Mom fell -9% from last week's series high (2,712 vs. 2,977).
· USA: the first season finale of Covert Affairs was the second lowest-rated telecast of its season, down -12% week to week (1,865 vs. 2,120)
· History: a repeat of Swamp People vaulted +48% week to week (1,031 vs. 695).
· Covering a handful of mid-term primaries, two of the three cable news nets saw a fairly hefty surge week to week: CNN, +34% (195 vs. 145) and MSNBC, +15% (190 vs. 165); FOX News was even (327 vs. 328).
· Of note, PUTS were down -2% week to week at both 1000P (34.8% vs. 35.6%) and 800 - 1100P (33.8% vs. 34.4%).
Rank in its Basic Cable Time Period (Tuesday 1000 - 1100P): for the second straight week, SOA ranked #2 in its basic cable time period in P18-49. SOA's 2,370 was slightly behind MTV's Teen Mom (2,712) but +27% ahead of #3-ranked Covert Affairs (1,865), +130% ahead of #4-ranked Swamp People/History (1,031), and +148% ahead of #5-ranked Chopped Champions/Food (954). In all three men demos and in P25-54, SOA ranked #1.
· What's more, in M18-49 and M18-34, SOA ranked #1 in its time period outright. In M18-49, SOA outperformed the season premiere of Parenthood on NBC by +19% (1,488 vs. 1,251). In M18-34, SOA bested #2-ranked Teen Mom/MTV by +32% (821 vs. 612) and #3-ranked Parenthood/NBC by +49% (821 vs. 551).
FX for the Night: SOA and Prom Night ranked FX #3 in primetime (1,146) - slightly behind USA (1,422) and MTV (1,255) but ahead of History (876), TBS (834), Discovery (595), and TNT (571) � to name a few.
· In all both M18-49 and M18-34, FX ranked #1: for example, FX's 664 in M18-49 topped History (650), USA (554), TBS (435) and Discovery (43).
Among all basic cable primetime programs on Tuesday, SOA ranked #2 in P18-49 (2,370) behind the season finale of Teen Mom/MTV (2,712) but ahead of the season finale of Covert Affairs/USA (1,865).
· In all three key men demos and in P25-54, SOA was the most-watched program last night in basic cable. For example, in M18-49, SOA ranking #1 (1,488) was at roughly double the level of #2-ranked Warehouse 13/SYFY (751) and #3-ranked Teen Mom/MTV (732).
Quarter Hours built very nicely (P18-49), up +11% from its first to final quarter hour: 2,236/2,345/2,485/2,475