DISCOVERY CHANNEL SEES SECOND LARGEST MALE AUDIENCE EVER IN JANUARY
-- Friday Night's GOLD RUSH: ALASKA and FLYING WILD ALASKA Bring Record Delivery
for Discovery --
(Silver Spring, Md.) � With new series successes such as GOLD RUSH: ALASKA and FLYING WILD ALASKA on Friday nights, as well as viewer favorites AMERICAN CHOPPER: SENIOR VS. JUNIOR, DIRTY JOBS AND MYTHBUSTERS, Discovery Channel experienced its second best January in prime (and highest since 2004) among M25-54 delivery (474,000).
All month long, Discovery Channel saw its best Fridays ever in almost all key demos in January (12-27/10-1/30/11) including HH (1.4), P2+ (0.8), P/M/W25-54 (1.0/1.4/0.6), W18-49 (0.6) and W18-34 (0.5) with the success of new series FLYING WILD ALASKA (Fridays at 9PM) and GOLD RUSH: ALASKA (Fridays at 10PM). On Fridays in January 2011, Gold Rush was the #1 non-sports program in all of television, among M25-54, delivering an average of 3.5 million people P2+ per telecast.
Throughout January 2011, Discovery Channel was a top 10 cable network every night of the week for M25-54 prime delivery. Highlights include (all data for January 2011):
· GOLD RUSH: ALASKA was the #1 non-sports program in ALL of TELEVISION among M25-54.
· GOLD RUSH: ALASKA was ad-supported cable's top-rated program (non-sports) on Friday nights among HH, P2+, P/M25-54, P/M18-49. FLYING WILD ALASKA was the #2 non-sports program in ad-supported cable among P/M25-54 and P/M18-49 on Friday nights.
· American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior was Monday's #3 cable program (excluding sports) for P/M25-54 and M18-49.
· Dirty Jobs was the #4 non-fiction cable program among M25-54 Tuesdays (excluding sports/movies). Premieres of Auction Kings was Tuesday's #7 cable program (excluding sports/movies) among M25-54.
· MythBusters was Wednesday's #3 non-fiction cable programs (excluding sports), for M18-49 (#4 among M25-54).
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.1 million U.S. homes, can be seen in over 180 countries, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's number one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 170 countries. Discovery empowers people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity through 100-plus worldwide networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery and HD Theater, as well as leading consumer and educational products and services, and a diversified portfolio of digital media services including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.