Quick Take for Thursday, July 28, 2011
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)
ABC Gains 7% Week to Week in Adults 18-49, Marking its Best Thursday in 3 Weeks
With its Largest Audience in 3 Weeks, ABC's "Wipeout" Wins
Thursday's 8 O'Clock hour in Viewers for the 6th Straight Week
ABC's "Expedition Impossible" Surges by 23% in Adults 18-49 Week to Week
"Rookie Blue" Hits a Season-High in Adults 18-34
Thursday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC took second on Thursday to a "Big Brother"-driven CBS in both Total Viewers (5.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.6/5) and finished No. 1 on the night in Adults 18-34 (1.4/5-tie).
· ABC was up week to week by 7% in Adults 18-49 and by 17% in Adults 18-34, posting its best numbers on the night in three and five weeks, respectively - since 7/7/11 and 6/23/11.
"Wipeout" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout" won the 8 o'clock hour in Total Viewers (6.6 million) for the 6th straight week and in Adults 18-49 (1.9/7) for the 5th time in the last 6 weeks, topping its unscripted time period competition on Fox ("So You Think You Can Dance") by 1.3 million viewers and by 12% in young adults.
· The broad-appealing ABC series qualified as Thursday's top-rated broadcast show in Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11 for the 5th week in a row.
· "Wipeout" generated its largest audience in 3 weeks - since 7/7/11.
"Expedition Impossible" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
From 9:00-10:00 p.m., ABC's freshman "Expedition Impossible" took second in the hour in both Total Viewers (5.0 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.6/5), behind only CBS veteran "Big Brother 13."
· Surging 23% week to week in Adults 18-49, "Expedition Impossible" posted its highest young adult number in 3 weeks - since 7/7/11. In addition, the ABC unscripted series grew over the prior week by 40% in Adults 18-34 (1.4/5-tie) and by 50% in Men 18-34 (1.2/5) to hit its 2nd-best-ever numbers on both Nielsen measures.
"Rookie Blue" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Rookie Blue" won the 10 o'clock hour in Adults 18-49 (1.3/4) and finished first with key Women (W18-34/W18-49) for the 5th time in 6 telecasts.
· "Rookie Blue" built on ABC's performance in the hour on the same night last year (7/29/10) by 4% in viewers and by 8% in young adults (4.7 million & 1.2/4 with an original airing of "Boston Med").
· The sophomore ABC drama soared 18% over the prior week in Adults 18-34 (1.3/4) to deliver a season-high performance.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 41% currently, from 37% at the same point in 2010. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight
next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 7/28/11.