ABC Wins Wednesday with Strongest Thanksgiving Eve in 6 Years
Winning the final 2 nights of the 2011 November Sweep, ABC posted a strong first-place finish on Wednesday night, beating out its nearest competition by 10% in Total Viewers (CBS) and by 35% in Adults 18-49 (35%). In fact, ABC claimed the Top 2 most-watched TV shows of the evening with Modern Family and The Middle, as both shows outdrew Fox's The X Factor Results Show and lead-out Mobbed. The Net claimed the Top 4 shows on Wednesday in Adults 18-49, with Modern Family, Happy Endings, The Middle and Suburgatory, respectively - the latter two shows tied The X Factor.
· Building sharply over the year-ago night (also an all-original lineup) among Total Viewers (+16%) and Adults 18-49 (+17%), ABC marked its highest numbers in on the night before Thanksgiving in 6 years - since 2005.
Please note: On the night before Thanksgiving, all ABC programming will be coded as special.
At 8pm, ABC's The Middle won its time period in viewers and young adults, beating out original competition on CBS (Survivor), NBC (Up All Night) and Fox (The X Factor Results Show).
· For its 9th straight telecast this season, The Middle grew over its year-ago performance with Adults 18-49 (+14%).
Holding 100% of its lead-in at 8:30pm, ABC's Suburgatory finished a strong second in its slot in Adults 18-49 to the second half-hour of The X Factor, and beat out the Fox unscripted series with Teens 12-17.
· For the new ABC comedy's 8th time in as many airings, Suburgatory generated strong improvement for the Net over the year-ago comedy (Better with You) in the half-hour with viewers (+20%) and young adults (+32%).
Building on its lead-in at 9pm to win its time slot by huge margins over its nearest competition, ABC's Modern Family soared to the top of the night as Wednesday's #1 TV program in viewers and young adults. In fact the ABC comedy stood as Wednesday's #1 TV show with Adults 18-49 for the 9th straight airing this season.
· Topping its year-ago telecast on each original airing this season, the Modern Family surged year to year by 2.0 million viewers and by 22% in Adults 18-49.
During the 9:30pm half-hour, ABC's Happy Endings dominated its slot by 42% among Adults 18-49 over its nearest competition (CBS) and nearly doubled the delivery of Fox's original Mobbed (+93%). Winning its the time period, the ABC sophomore comedy registered as the #1 scripted series in its slot for its 8th broadcast with Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34.
· ABC's Happy Endings improved its slot over the year-ago night with viewers (+9%) and young adults (+13%).
From 10-11pm, ABC freshman drama Revenge ranked #1 for its 4th straight broadcast in Adults 18-49. In addition, Revenge was the highest-rated series in the hour for its 9th consecutive telecast with Women 18-34.
· The new series continued to deliver solid year-to-year growth for ABC in the hour, jumping over the year-ago night with an original Sweep special by 1.3 million viewers and by 17% in Adults 18-49.