OWN: OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK POSTS FIRST QUARTER GAINS ACROSS ALL KEY DEMOS IN PRIMETIME AND TOTAL DAY
March Scores Double Digit Ratings Growth Across All Key Demos;
Primetime is Up +50% in W25-54 and +35% in Total Viewers
Los Angeles - OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network has posted first quarter growth across all key demos in both primetime and total day, with primetime up +14% in the key demo (women 25-54) and total day up +25% W25-54 versus year ago numbers (December 26 - March 25).
For the month of March, the network also notched double-digit growth across all key demos in both primetime and total day. Primetime ratings were up +50% W25-54, up +34% in households and +35% in total viewers, with total day up +42% W25-54, +38% HH and +37% total viewers versus year ago numbers. OWN improved its standing among 97 ad-supported cable networks, climbing to #29 in primetime and #30 in total day.
"We are pleased with our start for 2012, viewers are responding and connecting with our programming," said Erik Logan, president, OWN.
During the first quarter of 2012, OWN notched its highest telecasts on the network to date with the debut of Oprah Winfrey's new primetime series "Oprah's Next Chapter" (Jan. 1 premiere) Steven Tyler, 1.1 million total viewers, Pastor Joel Osteen (Jan. 8) 1.5 million total viewers, Houston Family interview (March 11) 3.5 million total viewers, and Lady Gaga (March 18) 808,000 total viewers.
Other notable highlights include the return of "Oprah's Master Class" (Jan. 8 premiere) featuring notable celebrities sharing their greatest life lessons, posting triple-digit growth season-to-date versus year ago numbers (up +144% W25-54), and Oprah specials, "Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview" (Feb. 16) which garnered 830,000 total viewers and "Oprah and the Legendary Cast of Roots 35 Years Later" (Jan. 18) earning 531,000 total viewers.
1st Quarter OWN 2012
· .25 W25-54 / .34 HH / 317,000 total viewers
· Growth vs. year ago benchmarks: +14% W25-54, +9% HH, +9% P2+
· .15 W25-54 / .20 HH / 180,00 total viewers
· Growth vs. year ago benchmarks: +25% W25-54, +18% HH, +21% P2+
· .30 W25-54 / .39 HH / 369,000 total viewers
· Growth vs. year ago benchmarks: +50% W25-54, +34% HH, +35% P2+
· .17 W25-54 / .22 HH / 199,000 total viewers
· Growth vs. year ago benchmarks: +42% W25-54, +38% HH, +37% P2+
Key Q1 Programming Highlights:
Oprah's Next Chapter (Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT)
· Steven Tyler (Jan. 1 premiere) - 1.1 million viewers
· Paster Joel Osteen (Jan. 8) - 1.6 million viewers
· Whitney Houston Family Interview (March 11) - 3.5 million viewers
· Lady Gaga (March 18) - 808,000 viewers
· Season average: .88 W25-54, 1.0 HH, 1 million P2+
Oprah Presents Master Class (Sundays at 10 p.m. ET/PT)
· Jane Fonda (Jan. 8 Season 2 premiere) - 930,000 viewers
· Reba McEntire (March 4) - 609,000 viewers
· Season average: .39 W25-54, .54 HH, 519,000 P2+
Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview (February 16 from 9-11p.m. ET/PT)
· 830,000 total viewers
Oprah and the Legendary Cast of Roots 35 Years Later (Jan. 16 from 8-9 p.m. ET/PT)
· 531,000 total viewers
Source: The Nielsen Company
OWN ratings are coverage ratings.
About OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
A joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is a multi-platform media company designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives. OWN debuted on January 1, 2011, in approximately 77 million homes on what was the Discovery Health Channel. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform, Oprah.com. OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is currently available in approximately 67% of homes in the United States and 80% of cable homes.