DISCOVERY CHANNEL DELIVERS BEST THIRD QUARTER IN NETWORK HISTORY AMONG MEN 25-54
Discovery also Delivers Double Digit Increases Across All Key Demos in 3Q13
The success of hit series AMISH MAFIA, DEADLIEST CATCH, NAKED & AFRAID, GOLD RUSH - SOUTH AMERICA, FAST N' LOUD coupled with a strong start for freshman series TICKLE and STREET OUTLAWS and the success of SHARK WEEK helped Discovery Channel deliver the most watched 3Q among Men 25-54 in network history. Discovery also earned its FOURTH consecutive quarter of year-over-year growth in both Persons and Men 25-54 delivery, and double digit increases in Persons 25-54 v. the same quarter in 2012 and in year to date growth in the same demo vs. the same time period last year.
Discovery's 3Q13 double digit increases vs. 3Q12 included a +18% increase among Persons 25-54, a +17% increase in Men 25-54 viewers and a +20% increase among Women 25-54. Additionally, Total Viewers P2+ in 3Q13 were up +15% vs. 3Q12, Households were up +16% and Persons 18-49 were up +19%.
During 3Q13, Discovery Channel programming were among the Top-3 Monday primetime programs among Men 25-54 delivery* with RETURN OF JAWS (#1), VOODOO SHARKS (#2), and premieres of FAST N'LOUD (#3), which also finished as the #1 Monday night cable series among M25-54 and M18-49 delivery*. On Tuesdays, premieres of DEADLIEST CATCH was the #2 program in all of cable among Persons and Men 25-54 delivery, no exclusions, and on Wednesdays, GREAT WHITE SERIAL KILLER was the #3 program in all of cable among M25-54 delivery, no exclusions. On Thursdays ALIEN SHARKS was the #3 program in all of cable among M25-54 delivery, no exclusions, and on Fridays, GOLD RUSH - SOUTH AMERICA was the #1 cable Friday program among Men (25-54/18-49) delivery**. On Sundays in 3Q13, premieres of NAKED & AFRAID was the #2 Sunday ad-supported cable series* among M25-54 delivery, behind only Breaking Bad.
SHARK WEEK 2013 was the most-watched in the event's 26 year history across all key demos including Persons, Men and Women 25-54/18-49/18-34 delivery, no exclusions, from August 4-10. SHARK WEEK'S first-ever late-night talk show, Shark After Dark, out-delivered every late-night cable talk show competitor including Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report, TBS' Conan, Bravo's Watch What Happens Live and E!'s Chelsea Lately in Persons 25-54 and 18-49 delivery. Shark After Dark also beat all of the above late-night cable talk shows among the coveted Persons 18-34 demo (no exclusions) August 4-7. Additionally, during the calendar week from August 5-11, Discovery Channel ranked as the #1 network in ALL OF TELEVISION among Men 18-49 delivery, no exclusions.
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 210 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than two billion cumulative subscribers in 223 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 162 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as U.S. joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network. Across the Nordic region, Discovery owns and operates SBS Discovery Media, a top-three portfolio of 20 television brands that feature leading nonfiction content, as well as locally produced entertainment programs, sports and the best scripted series and movies from major studios. Discovery also is the leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of digital textbooks, and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including Revision3. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
DISC PRESS: 3Q13 2013 FINAL Highlights
Source: Nielsen. Live+SD. Time-Period Data. *unless otherwise noted
· 3Q13 Prime is up double-digits (+10% to +24%) versus 3Q12 in all key demos. Delivery: It is up +18% among P25-54 delivery. HH (+16%) | P2+ (+15%) | M25-54 (+17%) | W25-54 (+20%) | P18-49 (+19%).
· 3Q13 Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights experienced double-digit growth (+13% to +71%) across all key Persons/Male/Female demos versus 3Q12.
· 3Q13 Total Day delivery is also up: P25-54 (+9%) | P18-49 (+6%) | HH (+6%) | P2+ (+6%).
Best of 3Q13 Claims*
(Note: Historical rankings per Program-based Qtr-Hr Prime Dayparts)
In 3Q13, Discovery Channel produced its best 3Q in network history in Men 25-54 Prime delivery (surpassing the record set by 3Q 2010).
· In 3Q13, the network had its 3rd best 3Q Mondays in network history among HH and Persons/Men 25-54 delivery (best since 3Q 2003/2004).
· Discovery Channel had its 2nd best 3Q Tuesdays in network history among Persons/Men 25-54 delivery (behind only 3Q 2010).
· Discovery Channel had its 2nd best 3Q Fridays in network history among Men 25-54 delivery (behind only 3Q 2007).
· In 3Q13, Discovery Prime ranked as the #5 cable network for M25-54/M18-49 delivery. It also ranked in the top ten for P25-54 (#7), P18-49 (#7) and M18-34 (#8).
· Discovery was a 3Q13 top-10 ad-supported cable network 7 days a week, among Men:
· Monday: M25-54 (#3), M18-49 (#3) note: #1 non-sports network among M25-54 and M18-49
· Tuesday: M25-54 (#1), M18-49 (#2)
· Wednesday: M25-54 (#5), M18-49 (#7)
· Thursday: M25-54 (#6), M18-49 (#8)
· Friday: M25-54 (#2) / M18-49 (#4) note: #1 non-sports network among M25-54
· Saturday: M25-54 (#10)
· Sunday: M25-54 (#5) / M18-49 (#5).
Series & Specials
· The premiere of Megalodon: The Monster Shark is Real was the #5 most watched ad-supported cable telecast in all of 3Q13 among Men 25-54 delivery (excludes sports, behind only Duck Dynasty, 2013 VMAs, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad).
· On Mondays in 3Q13, Discovery Channel had the Top-3 Monday primetime programs among Men 25-54 delivery (excluding sports): Return of Jaws (#1), Voodoo Sharks (#2), and premieres of Fast N' Loud (#3).
· Premieres of Fast N Loud finished as the #1 3Q13 Monday night cable series among M25-54 and M18-49 delivery (excludes sports); it delivered an average of 2.34 million viewers P2+.
· Premieres of Street Outlaws finished as the #4 3Q13 Monday night cable series among M25-54 and M18-49 delivery (excludes sports); it delivered an average of 1.45 million viewers P2+.
· On Tuesdays in 3Q13, Discovery Channel had the FOUR of the Top-7 Tuesday primetime programs among Men 25-54 delivery (excluding sports): premieres of Deadliest Catch (#2), I Escaped Jaws (#5), Spawn of Jaws (#6), and premieres of Amish Mafia (#7).
· On Tuesdays in 3Q13 premieres of Deadliest Catch was the #2 program in all of cable among P/M25-54 delivery (no exclusions). The premieres delivered 2.84 million viewers P2+ per episode.
· On Wednesdays in 3Q13 Great White Serial Killer was the #3 program in all of cable among M25-54 delivery (no exclusions). The premiere delivered 3.22 million viewers P2+.
· On Thursdays in 3Q13 Alien Sharks was the #3 program in all of cable among M25-54 delivery (no exclusions). The premiere delivered 3.15 million viewers P2+.
· On Fridays in 3Q13, Gold Rush: South America was the #1 cable program among Men (25-54/18-49) delivery (excluding movies). Jungle Gold was the #2 series on Friday nights in 3Q13 among M18-49 delivery (excludes sports).
· On Sundays in 3Q13, premieres of Naked & Afraid was the #2 Sunday ad-supported cable series (excluding sports) among M25-54 delivery, behind only Breaking Bad. The premieres delivered 2.19 million viewers P2+ per episode.
· Shark Week 2013:
· The calendar week (Mon-Sun, 8/5/13 - 8/11/13), was the most watched week in Discovery Channel history, among P18-49 delivery, thanks to Shark Week 2013.
· The week of (8/5/13 - 8/11/13) delivered an average of 2.12 million viewers P2+, as well as 1.18 million viewers P25-54 and 1.22 million viewers P18-49, across all of Prime. Among P18-49 delivery, this bested the most watched DISC week record-holder of 3/6/00-3/12/00, when Discovery Channel premiered the now iconic, Walking with Dinosaurs.
· During Shark Week 2013 (Sun-Sat, 8/4/13-8/10/13), Discovery Channel earned its highest rated Shark Week ever, in all key demos for ratings and delivery.
· Shark Week 2013 premieres averaged a 1.77 P25-54 AA% across 11 premiere hours (+75% vs. 1.01 during SW2012).
· Across the full week of Shark Weeks 2013 (Sun-Sat, 8/4/13-8/10/13) DISC average a 1.74 HH / 1.39 P25-54 AA% / 2.56 million viewers P2+ during primetime; this is +58% vs. the 0.88 P25-54 AA% earned during Shark Week 2012 (Sun-Sat) Prime.
· In prime, during the calendar week last week (Mon-Sun, 8/5/13 - 8/11/13), Discovery Channel averaged a 1.46 HH / 1.16 P25-54 AA% / 2.12 million viewers P2+ delivery; this ranks it #1 all-time among DISC weeks that have previously hosted Shark Week (all key demos).
· 2013 saw four Shark Week 2013 premieres hit the all-time Top-10 List for Discovery Channel Shark Week telecasts among P25-54 delivery; five 2013 premieres made the Top-10 among P18-49 delivery:
*AA(000). DSC data available since 4Q93
**AA(000). Ad-supported cable = ASCO plus DSNY, NOGN; Nonfiction series claim include based on full series average (all telecasts); excludes programs with a single telecasts
*** Excludes fictional or scripted, news and sports programs and specials.