NBCSN POSTS ITS MOST-WATCHED JANUARY THROUGH JUNE IN HISTORY
Sochi Winter Games, NHL, Premier League, F1 & IndyCar Telecasts Help NBCSN Set Record for Total Day Audience - Up 86% from 2013
NBCSN Ranks as Fastest Growing Sports Cable Network over Past 12 Months in Total Day Average Viewership and Key Demos
For Q2, NBCSN Registers Best Primetime Quarter Ever in Average Viewership, Adult 18-49 and Adult 25-54 Demos
STAMFORD, Conn. - July 1, 2014 - Buoyed by record viewership for the Sochi Winter Games, the NHL regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Premier League's three most-watched months on U.S. sports cable, as well as rising ratings for Formula One and IndyCar racing, NBCSN averaged 203,000 Total Day viewers (6 a.m.-6 a.m.) in the first half of 2014 - marking the most-watched January-June in the network's history, according to live plus same day data released by The Nielsen Company.
In the first six months of 2014 (Dec. 30-June 29), NBCSN's Total Day viewership jumped 86% vs. last year's first half (109,000), and is up 61% from the prior best first half (126,000 in 2009). Even excluding the Winter Olympics, NBCSN averaged 150,000 viewers -- up 38% from 2013 and 19% from the prior record in '09.
Over the past 12 months (July '13-June '14), NBCSN's Total Day growth tops all other sports cable networks with a 29% increase in viewership (to 141,000 average viewers), a 29% increase in Adults 18-49, and a 27% increase in Adults 25-54.
· In the second quarter (March 31-June 29), NBCSN posted its most-watched primetime quarter ever, highlighted by the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, averaging 722,000 viewers - up 14% from '13 (632,000).
· In the key Adult 18-49 and Adult 25-54 demos, NBCSN set quarterly primetime records averaging 354,000 and 375,000 Q2 viewers, respectively.
· NBCSN also set a record for second-quarter Total Day viewership with an average of 191,000 viewers - up 25% from '13.
VIEWERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE FIRST HALF OF 2014:
· NBCSN averaged 1.6 million viewers for the Sochi Games in the 6 a.m.-3 p.m. ET time period - a 134% increase over the network's comparable daytime coverage of the 2012 London Games (692,000 viewers). The Sochi Games had a nine-hour time difference vs. the Eastern Time zone in the United States compared to five hours for London in 2012.
· The 10 best weekday daytime audiences in NBCSN's history were provided by its 10 weekdays of Sochi coverage and the network's five highest viewership totals for weekend daytimes also came during coverage of the Sochi Games.
· NBCSN televised 62 Stanley Cup Playoff games, averaging 1.227 million viewers - the best Stanley Cup Playoffs ever for the network. The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs ranked as the most-watched NHL playoffs on cable since 1997.
· NBCSN delivered the Premier League's three most-watched months ever on U.S. sports cable, averaging a record 476,000 viewers in February, as well as 442,000 viewers in March, and 414,000 viewers in January.
· Over the first six races of the 2014 season on NBCSN, Formula One averaged 377,000 viewers -- up 111% from the first six races of the 2013 F1 season (179,000 viewers).
· Through five races, NBCSN's IndyCar coverage registered 390,000 average viewers, up 34% from the 2013 season (291,000).