U.S. RECORD 3.3 MILLION TUNE IN TO NBC SPORTS GROUP'S OPENING WEEKEND OF PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE
NBC Broadcast of Arsenal-Crystal Palace Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match in U.S. History
NBCSN Telecast of Newcastle-Manchester City Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable in U.S. History
Average Viewership for NBCSN Matches Tops Last Year's Opening Weekend Cable Matches by 30%
Fans streamed more than 8.9 million minutes via NBC Sports Live Extra - Best-Ever for a Premier League Weekend
STAMFORD, Conn. - August 19, 2014 - NBC Sports Group posted record-setting numbers this past weekend as it kicked off exclusive coverage of the Premier League on NBC and NBCSN, the Premier League Extra Time bonus TV package and the NBC Sports Live Extra live streaming product.
More than 3.3 million people tuned in to five telecasts on NBC and NBCSN Saturday and Sunday - the most ever for an opening Premier League weekend in the U.S. -- up 3% from the 3.2 million total for the five games on NBC and NBCSN last year (final viewership figures for three Spanish language telecasts, two on mun2 and one on Telemundo, will be available this Thursday). - Source: Nielsen Media Research, NTI Live+Same Day data. NBC telecast based on Fast National data. Reach based on NBCSN program data with NBC Affiliate live feed time period data.
Additional milestones from NBC Sports Group's opening weekend Premier League coverage:
· Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match: Saturday's Arsenal v. Crystal Palace match on NBC averaged 885,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match in U.S. history, topping by 12% last year's opening weekend match on NBC (Swansea City v. Manchester United, 792,000).
· Highest Opening Weekend Average Viewership: The five games on NBC and NBCSN averaged 545,000 viewers -- 23% above the average for five games on opening weekend last year on NBC/NBCSN (443,000 average viewers).
· Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable: Sunday's Newcastle v. Manchester City match on NBCSN averaged 514,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match on cable in U.S. history, topping 2012's opening weekend Arsenal v. Sunderland match on ESPN (8/18/12, 476,000 viewers).
· Most-Watched Opening Weekend on Cable in U.S. History: For games on cable, the four weekend matches on NBCSN averaged 463,000 viewers - ranking as the most-watched Premier League opening weekend on cable ever in the U.S., and a 30% increase from last year's 356,000 average viewership for the four games on NBCSN.
· More than 8.9 Million Minutes Streamed: Fans streamed more than 8.9 million minutes of action - best-ever for a Premier League weekend - via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group's live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets, a 56% increase from last year's 5.7 million minutes.
TOP MARKETS FOR OPENING WEEKEND PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE:
(Average across all five games on NBC and NBCSN)
1 Wash, DC
4 West Palm Beach
6 Las Vegas
11 New Haven
14 New Orleans
NBC Sports Group's exclusive Premier League coverage continues this Saturday at 7 a.m. ET with Premier League Live, followed by Aston Villa v. Newcastle at 7:45 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
NBC Sports Group will once again make all 380 games from the Premier League available in the United States on the networks of NBCUniversal, on the Premier League Extra Time bonus TV package, and streamed live on NBC Sports Live Extra. Every MVPD has the option to carry every Premier League match on live television and via live streaming at no additional cost to consumers. All games will be preceded and followed by Premier League Live pre- and post-match shows from the NBC Sports Group International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn.