ABC New Year's Eve Programming
New Year's Eve: December 31, 2016 - January 1, 2017
ABC's 'Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest'
Beats Its Combined Competition on New Year's Eve
'New Year's Rockin' Eve' Is the Week's No. 1 Entertainment TV Show
Midnight Segment of 'NYRE' Crushes Its NBC and Fox NYE Competition
to Stand as ABC's Biggest Entertainment Telecast Since the Oscars
Part 2 of ABC's NYE Late-Night Bash Draws Its Largest-Ever Audience
· Primetime: During New Year's Eve primetime, ABC beat the combined deliveries of CBS, NBC and Fox by 50% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/10 vs. 1.6/5), up sharply from a 12% advantage on New Year's Eve last year. On the night, the Net posted its top non-sports Saturday in 5 years. "Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve" stood as the week's No. 1 primetime entertainment TV show (w/o 12/26/16) with Total Viewers (11.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (3.6/14). ABC earned second place during New Year's week to an NFL-fueled NBC in Adults 18-49.
· Late-Night: Drawing 20.3 million viewers and a 6.5/25 in Adults 18-49 during the 11:30 p.m.-12:38 a.m. segment, ABC overshadowed the combined numbers for NBC's and Fox's New Year's Eve offerings. In fact, it was ABC's top entertainment telecast since February with the Oscars. And despite its post-1 a.m. start time, the second late-night segment of "NYRE" drew its largest-ever audience - since debuting on the Net 16 years ago in 2000.
ABC New Year's Eve Primetime (8:00-11:00 p.m. - 8.3 million and 2.4/10 in AD18-49):
With its New Year's Eve line-up, ABC ranked the dominant No. 1 on the final night of 2016 over its broadcast competition, leading all 6 half-hours of prime and more than doubling runner-up NBC with its NYE programming in Total Viewers (+131% - 8.3 million vs. 3.6 million) and nearly tripling NBC on the night with Adults 18-49 (+167% - 2.4/10 vs. 0.9/3). In fact ABC beat the combined deliveries of CBS, NBC and Fox on the evening by 50% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/10 vs. 1.6/5).
· In Adults 18-49, ABC scored its top-rated non-sports Saturday in 5 years - since 12/31/11.
"Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve" (10:00-11:00 p.m. - 11.6 million and 3.6/14 in AD18-49): Jumping over its lead-in at 10:00 p.m., ABC's broadcast of "Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" towered over its broadcast competition during the hour and ranked as Saturday's No. 1 primetime entertainment program with Total Viewers and across each of the key Adult demos (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54).
· Head-to-head from 10:00-11:00 p.m., ABC's "Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" led by strong triple digits over NBC's "Late-Night with Seth Meyers NYE Special" (3.2 million and 0.8/3) in Total Viewers (+263%) and Adults 18-49 (+350%).
"Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve Part 1" (11:30 p.m. -12:33 a.m.):
ABC's first late-night segment of "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" delivered an average audience of 20.3 million Total Viewers and scored a big 6.5 rating, 25 share among Adults 18-49 (8.4 million).
· In viewers and young adults, "New Year's Rockin' Eve" ranked as ABC's top entertainment telecast since February with the 2016 "Academy Awards" - since 2/28/16.
· ABC's "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve - Part 1" dominated the combined audiences of NBC's "New Year's Eve with Carson Daly - Late Night" and Fox's "Pitbull's New Year's Revolution" by 53% in Total Viewers (20.3 million vs. 13.3 million - NBC and Fox combined) and 44% in Adults 18-49 (6.5/25 million vs. 4.5/17).
"Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve - Part 2" (1:09-2:07 a.m.):
Despite its late time period, the second late-night segment of "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" set a new high of 7.2 million Total Viewers and delivered a 2.5 rating, 15 share in Adults 18-49 (3.3 million).
· Growing year to year in viewers (+6% - 7.2 million vs. 6.8 million) and young adults (+4% - 2.5/15 vs. 2.4/13), the final segment of "New Year's Rockin' Eve" drew its largest audience ever - ABC began airing Part 2 in 2000.
Source: The Nielsen Company, National, Live + Same Day Program Ratings for 12/31/16-1/1/17.