Adult Swim Finishes First Year at #1 With Young Adults and Makes Ad-Supported Cable History
#1 in Delivery of Adults 18-24 and Men 18-24 for 38 Straight Weeks
#1 in Delivery of Adults 18-34 and Men 18-34 for 33 Weeks
Adult Swim had a landmark first year as an individual ad-supported basic cable network receiving separate official Nielsen ratings and delivery performances from Cartoon Network, with which it shares channel space. The network sustained the #1 spot in delivery of adults 18-24 and men 18-24 for 38 consecutive weeks, which is the best total day delivery among adults 18-24 in ad-supported cable history. Adult Swim was also #1 in delivery of adults 18-34 and men 18-34 for 33 weeks out of 38 weeks total, and ranked #5 in delivery of adults 18-49.
Adult Swim (Monday-Thursday, Saturday-Sunday, 11 p.m.-6 a.m.; Sunday, 10 p.m.-11 p.m. )
- Adults 18-34 delivery totaled 404,000, with a 0.6 rating
- Adults 18-24 delivery totaled 225,000, with a 0.8 rating
- Men 18-34 delivery totaled 259,000, with a 0.8 rating
- Men 18-24 delivery totaled 151,000, with a 1.1 rating
- Adults 18-49 delivery totaled 527,000, with a 0.4 rating
Adult Swim also scored high marks with the premiere of two original series: Robot Chicken, from creators Seth Green and Matt Senreich, and The Boondocks, from creator Aaron McGruder. The premiere of The Boondocks on Nov. 6 set an all-new Adult Swim delivery record for a series premiere and Robot Chicken gained impressive double-digit growth over the 2004 time period with key demos. Highlights of their individual performances include the following:
The Boondocks, Series Premiere Sunday, Nov. 6, 11 p.m.
- Premiere (Nov. 6) scored the best-ever series premiere for Adult Swim and ranked #1 among ad-supported basic cable for adults 18-34 and adults 18-24 total day delivery
- A total of 1,605,000 persons 18+ tuned in to the premiere of The Boondocks
- Second episode (Nov. 13) ranked #12 among all ad-supported basic cable programs for adults 18-34 delivery and was Adult Swim�s #1 show of the week in total day delivery of adults 18-34, adults 18-24
- Adults 18-34 delivery totaled 879,000 viewers, with a 1.3 rating
- Men 18-34 delivery totaled 592,000 viewers, with a 1.8 rating
Robot Chicken, Series Premiere Sunday, Feb. 20, 11:30 p.m.
- Adults 18-34 had a 47% growth in delivery (732,000) and 38% in ratings (1.1) over the 2004 time period
- Men 18-34 experienced a 23% increase in delivery (413,000) and a 30% jump in ratings (1.3) over the 2004 time period
- Women 18-34 nearly doubled, posting a 98% growth in delivery (320,000) with an impressive 100% increase in ratings (1.0) over the 2004 time period
Adult Swim (AdultSwim.com), launched in 2001, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.�s network dedicated to edgy animated comedy and action series, both original and acquired, airing Saturday-Thursday from 11 p.m-6 a.m. (ET, PT). Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network, home to the best in original, classic and acquired programming for children and families, and is seen in 88 million U.S. homes.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.
RATING PERIOD: 12/27/04-12/18/05
SOURCE: Turner Entertainment Research from Nielsen Media Research data. These television ratings data are reproduced here with permission from Nielsen Media Research. Reproduction of these data in volume, without permission from Nielsen Media Research, is prohibited.
NOTES: All ratings based on Total U.S. Television Universe of 109,788,000 homes.