MTV SPOTLIGHTS THE MUSIC AND MOMENTS THAT CROWNED MICHAEL JACKSON THE "KING OF POP" FRIDAY, JUNE 25 THROUGH SUNDAY, JUNE 27
New York, NY (June 21, 2010) - MTV today announced that Michael Jackson fans will be able to catch encore presentations of MTV's most iconic Michael Jackson programming as the network highlights moments that helped create a legacy that turned him into the "King of Pop." In addition to specially produced MTV News segments, the channel will also air "Michael Jackson's Influence on Music" as part of the Michael Jackson-themed weekend on June 25 - June 27.
Having sold an estimated 750 million records worldwide, released 13 No.1 singles and been inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Michael Jackson has been recognized as one of the most beloved and most important entertainers of all time. During his illustrious career, Jackson won numerous Grammy Awards, including the "Living Legend Award" and the "Lifetime Achievement Award," and received the American Music Awards "Artist of the Century Award."
In 1983, MTV premiered the music video for "Billie Jean" for the first time ever - a landmark in music history that ushered in the era of Michael Jackson as he came to dominate the music charts and pop culture. With epic videos like "Thriller" "Bad," "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Beat It," viewers tuned in to catch each and every one of Jackson's videos, catapulting music videos to a whole new level as an art form and medium for experiencing music.
For links to Michael Jackson's celebrated music videos, photos, and highlights of his life and career, fans can visit the Michael Jackson Artist page at MTV.com. In addition, the public can log on to share MJ memories through video and comments on Your.MTV.com.
COMPLETE LISTING OF MICHAEL JACKSON PROGRAMMING:
Michael Jackson's Influence on Music
Friday, June 25 at 6:30pm.
· This is a 1-hour special consisting of videos by top artists in music who have in some way been inspired by Michael Jackson - from choreography, to fashion, to actual reinterpretations of MJ's songs. His impact on the game was huge! During each video, there will be scrolled messages about Michael from many of the artists featured, along with interesting trivia. At different points throughout the special, several of the featured artists will also appear in short interview moments discussing MJ and his impact on their life and art.
Michael Jackson's Music Videos
Saturday, June 26 at 6am
· A two-hour block of Michael Jackson videos.
MTV News segments
Friday, June 25
· MTV News will produce on-air and online news hits and segments to run during MTV's Michael Jackson programming on Friday, June 25.
· Celebs Discuss the Night Michael Jackson Died
· A Retrospective: The Globe Reacts to Michael Jackson's Death
MTV is the dynamic, vibrant experiment at the intersection of music, creativity and youth culture. For over 28 years, MTV has evolved, challenged the norm, and detonated boundaries -- giving each new generation a creative outlet and voice that entertains, informs and unites on every platform and screen. On-air, MTV is the number one rated full-day ad-supported cable network for P12-24. Online, MTV.com averaged 24.6 million monthly unique visitors during the first quarter of 2010 -- up +9% from Q4/2009 and up +13% year-over-year. Average video streams for the first quarter of 2010 increased +19% from the Q4/2009 and is up +18% over the same time period last year. And MTV's successful sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unprecedented customized content, super-serving young males, music fans, and college students like no one else. MTV is part of MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.