JOIN ANIMAL PLANET ON 'WORLD LION DAY' FOR A CELEBRATION FIT FOR THE KING... OF THE JUNGLE
- On August 10, An All-Day Lion Line-Up Begins at 6 AM ET/PT with All-New Special CLASH OF AFRICA'S GIANTS Premiering at 9 PM ET/PT -
(Silver Spring, Md.) - Animal Planet helps further shine the spotlight on lions as the network celebrates World Lion Day on August 10 with an all-new special CLASH OF AFRICA'S GIANTS 9 PM ET/PT which gives audiences a look inside the lives of one of Africa's growing prides on a quest for survival. Throughout the day, Animal Planet will also air best of lion programming and marathons of audience favorites that feature Animal Planet's large predator expert, Dave Salmoni.
World Lion Day programming will include:
· BIG CAT DIARY - airing from 6 AM- 1 PM ET/PT: Viewers get an inside look into the family lives of some of Africa's big cats. Follow teams of fearless filmmakers as they track the day-to-day lives of individual big cats - including lions, cheetahs and leopards - living at a camp in the middle of the Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya.
· INTO THE LION'S DEN - airing from 1-3 PM ET/PT: Watch as Animal Planet's large predator expert Dave Salmoni gets up close to some of nature's most dangerous predators to prove his claim that lions are more wired to accept people than attack them. This two hour-long special tracks the adrenaline-inoculated months Dave spends walking - unarmed - deeper into a pride of wild lions.
· INTO THE PRIDE - airing from 3-8 PM ET/PT: Animal Planet's large predator expert Dave Salmoni heads deep into the African bush to save a pride of lions from elimination. He must help this pride, known for cattle raiding and aggression toward people, learn to accept humans and support the growing eco-tourism in the area. Dave must forge relationships and gain the trust of every lion from Brutus, the dominant male, to Rough and Tumble, the youngest cubs. This five-part series tests all of Dave's experience and knowledge as a zoologist and big cat expert as he puts everything on the line to help this pride.
· A LION CALLED CHRISTIAN - airing at 8 PM ET/PT: This one-hour special tells the tale of Christian the lion - who was first introduced to the world in an online video in 2008; the five-minute video told the story of the reunion between two young men and their 300-pound pet lion Christian a year after he was released into the African wild. See exclusive footage and revealing interviews from the people who knew Christian best.
· All-new special CLASH OF AFRICA'S GIANTS, airing at 9 PM ET/PT is the epic tale of a lion pride's 18-month battle to establish an empire. Set against the unforgiving backdrop of the Kalahari Desert, their fortunes rise and fall as rival prides, flood and fire ravage the landscape. But when a devastating drought leaves normally powerful elephants weak and vulnerable, the lions turn hardship into opportunity. Their clash with the elephants gives the young pride the experience needed for an even greater battle ahead - one that will push them to the limits of survival.
CLASH OF AFRICA'S GIANTS is produced for Animal Planet by Icon Films. For Animal Planet, Patrick Keegan is producer. For Icon Films, Harry Marshall and Laura Marshall are executive producers.
-Animal Planet's Large Predator Expert Dave Salmoni is Available for Interviews to Discuss the Status of Lions Today and the Dangers of Trophy Hunting and Poaching-
About Animal Planet
Animal Planet, a multi-media business unit of Discovery Communications, is the network of hit franchise series RIVER MONSTERS, PIT BULLS & PAROLEES and TREEHOUSE MASTERS and the home of provocative and award-winning specials and documentary films presented under the banner ANIMAL PLANET PRESENTS. Animal Planet's programming also includes quarterly tent pole TV events PUPPY BOWL, the largest non-sports TV on Super Bowl Sunday, and MONSTER WEEK. Animal Planet is the premiere TV, digital and social community for animal lovers and pet owners, providing immersive, engaging, high-quality entertainment across all Animal Planet assets including: Animal Planet television network, available in more than 94 million homes in the US, that is complimented with a deep Video On Demand offering; online assets www.animalplanet.com, the ultimate online destination for all things animal; Animal Planet L!VE, the go-to digital destination for round-the-clock, unfiltered access to the animal kingdom; Animal Planet social including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.