MTV KICKS OFF 2010 WITH 4 OF THE TOP 10 ORIGINAL CABLE SERIES AMONG P12-34 -- DOUBLE ANY OTHER NETWORK
NETWORK UP 19% YEAR TO YEAR WITH ORIGINAL HIT SERIES AND SPECIALS
MTV announced its own situation today, kicking off 2010 with more hits than any other cable network with four of the top ten original series�more than twice that of any other network. Fueled by solid ratings gains across the board, MTV is up 19% year to year (Jan �09 to Jan �10) among the coveted 12-34 year old demographic.
With a redefined programming vision and diverse array of content, this growth was driven by break out performances from such pop culture prime time hits as "Teen Mom," Jersey Shore," "Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew," "Real World: D.C." and "Taking the Stage." Additionally, the network's afternoon strips and weekend and holiday specials have connected well with viewers, rounding out a robust January.
Source: The Nielsen Company. Live+SD P12-34 coverage rating. Total Day. Q1 2010: 12/28/09-01/31/10. 1Q09:12/29/08-02/01/09. Rank: P12-34 Live+SD 000s, regularly scheduled original series, excluding sports.)
MTV delivers the #1 original cable series on Tuesday ("Teen Mom"), Wednesday ("Real World: D.C.") and Thursday ("Jersey Shore" and "Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew"):
"Teen Mom" Tuesdays:
· "Teen Mom" ranked #1 in its time period versus all cable competition among P12-34 and #1 versus all television competition among F12-34.
· "Teen Mom" averaged a 2.3 P12-34 rating.
"Real World" captures Wednesday nights:
· Real World" ranks #1 in its time period versus all cable competition among P12-34.
· "Real World" averaged a 1.9 (P12-34). Season to date, "Real World: D.C." is +9% above "Real World: Cancun."
Thursdays at the "Jersey Shore":
· "Jersey Shore" ranked #1 in its time period versus all cable competition among P12-34.
· Over the course of the first season, "Jersey Shore" averaged a 2.6 P12-34 rating, and posted strong growth week to week. The finale earning a series high of 4.8 (P12-34) and garnered more than 4.8 million viewers, triple that of its debut.
Kicking off its fifth season, "Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew" was the #1 original cable series on Thursday, January 28. The season premiere, averaging more than 2.4 million viewers, is the series most watched debut yet. Among P12-34 (2.2 rating) the show was up 22% versus last season's premiere. "Taking the Stage" also debuted to a 50% increase versus its first season, as it premiered in its new 11pm time slot on Thursday nights, immediately following "Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew."
MTV's afternoons, weekends and holiday specials see ratings growth:
Beyond MTV's prime time success, the network's original afternoon strips are off to a great 2010. Returning for season 2, Silent Library is up 30% from season one and the ever popular "MTV Teen Cribs" is up 16% from last season. MTV's weekend and holiday specials including: "MTV's Top 20 under 25," "Jersey Shore Spoofed," "Nick Cannon Presents Hatin' on �09," and "Taking the Stage Audition Special," all rounded out the schedule and connected with audiences throughout January.