Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of May 30, 2011
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC Scores a Dominant Weekly Victory in Viewers and Adults 18-49
The Network Airs 7 of the Week's Top 10 TV Shows in Adults 18-49,
Including Each of the Top 3 Programs and the No. 1 Scripted Series
ABC Equals its Top-Rated Summer Week in 7 Years with Adults 18-49
On Average, ABC's 2011 Miami-Dallas NBA Finals is Up Sharply Over the Last
Time the Two Teams Met in 2006, Marking the Highest-Rated Series in 7 Years
ABC is No. 1 on Each Evening of the 2011 NBA Finals in Adults 18-49, as
The Finals Stand as the No. 1 TV Show of the Night for 22 Consecutive Telecasts
Winning Monday Night, ABC Marks its Most-Watched Memorial Day in 5 Years
Shifting Back to its Regular Start Time at 8pm, ABC's "The Bachelorette" Ranks
No. 1 in its 2-Hour Slot, Winning its Time Period for the 2nd Week in a Row
Exhibiting Impressive Lead-in Retention and Build from Start to Finish, ABC's
"Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition" Debuts as Monday's No. 1 TV Show
ABC's "EM: Weight Loss" Scores Strong Year-Over-Year Time Period Growth
And Qualifies as the Net's Top-Rated Summer Series Debut Since August 2009
ABC Scores its Best-Ever Primetime Results with the Opening Night of The Finals
ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" Specials Generate Broad Exposure for the Show in Prime, Doubling its Late-Night Season Averages in Viewers and Young Adults
Game 1 of 2011 Qualifies as the Strongest Start to the NBA Finals in 7 Years with Viewers and Adults 18-49, and ABC's Highest-Ever with Adults 18-34 and Men 18-34
ABC's Wednesday Repeat Comedies Post Strong Year-to-Year Gains for the Net
Game 2 of the Dallas-Miami NBA Finals Hits 7-Year Highs Across All Key Adults, While Scoring Best-Ever Numbers on ABC with Women 18-34 and Teens 12-17
ABC Dominates Sunday with Coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals Game 3 in Viewers And Young Adults, Defeating CBS, NBC and Fox Combined by 43% in Adults 18-49
WEEK No. 37:
ABC ranked a dominant No. 1 during the first complete week of Summer 2011 (w/o 5/30/11), beating out its nearest competition by 1.1 million viewers (7.7 million vs. 6.6 million - CBS) and by 71% in Adults 18-49 (2.9/9 vs. 1.7/5 - NBC). ABC has finished No. 1 or No. 2 with young adults for 8 consecutive weeks.
· Among Adults 18-49, the Net matched its highest-rated summer week (between Memorial Day-Labor Day) in 7 years - since w/o 6/7/04.
· ABC grew over the same week last year (w/o 5/31/10 = 7.1 million and 2.6/8) by 8% in Total Viewers and by 12% in Adults 18-49, building its overall audience year to year for the 9th time in the last 10 weeks. In fact, ABC was the only major net up over last year on either Nielsen measure.
Weekly Rankings: ABC aired 7 of the week's Top 10 TV programs among Adults 18-49, placing each of the Top 3 shows and the No. 1 scripted series: "NBA Finals on ABC Game 1" and "NBA Finals on ABC Game 2" tied at No. 1, "NBA Finals on ABC Game 3 " - No. 3, "EM: Weight Loss ED" - No. 8, while "The Bachelorette," "Modern Family" (No. 1 scripted) and "Modern Family SP" (No. 1 scripted) tied at No. 9. In addition, with the opening games of the 2011 NBA Finals, ABC claimed 3 of the week's Top 4 most-watched television shows overall, including the Top 2.
Kicking off the summer season with "The Bachelorette" and the series debut of "Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition" finishing as the Top 2 TV shows of the night, ABC won Memorial Day by wide margins, leading runner-up CBS by 1.7 million viewers (7.2 million vs. 5.5 million) and by 57% among Adults 18-49 (2.2/6 vs. 1.4/4) during prime. The Net once again ran No. 1 in each half-hour of the night among viewers and young adults.
· Carrying over its winning streak from the regular season, ABC qualified as Monday's most-watched television network for the 12th straight week and ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for the 8th straight week (11 of the last 12 weeks).
· ABC grew its overall audience from the same evening last year (5/31/10 = 6.9 million), when it aired "The Bachelorette" into the premiere of "True Beauty," marking the Net's most-watched Memorial Day in 5 years - since 2006.
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:01 p.m.)
Coming off its week-earlier season premiere directly following the high-rated "DWTS" finale, ABC's "The Bachelorette" shifted back to its regular 8 o'clock start time and ranked No. 1 in its 2-hour time slot, topping second-place CBS by 33% in Total Viewers (7.2 million vs. 5.4 million) and by 47% in Adults 18-49 (2.2/6 vs. 1.5/4). It was the ABC unscripted series' 2nd week in a row to lead its time period on both counts. ABC's "The Bachelorette" stood as the most-watched TV show on Monday.
· Gaining audience throughout its broadcast, "The Bachelorette" surged by 1.4 million viewers (6.6 million to 8.0 million) and by 44% in Adults 18-49 (1.8/6 to 2.6/7) from its first half-hour to its final half-hour.
"Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition" (10:01-11:00 p.m.)
Exhibiting impressive lead-in compatibility and building its audience from start to finish, ABC's series debut of "Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition" won its time period, beating NBC's original drama ("L&O: LA") by 8% in viewers (7.1 million vs. 6.6 million) and by 60% in young adults (2.4/6 vs. 1.5/4). Impressively, "EM: Weight Loss" retained all of its viewer lead-in coming out of
"The Bachelorette" and grew 10% among young adults, while building its audience from start to finish in both Total Viewers (6.9 million to 7.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.3/6 to 2.5/7). In a rare feat for a show on its premiere telecast, "EM: Weight Loss" debuted as the No. 1 TV show on the night Adults 18-49.
· ABC's "EM: Weight Loss" was up over the year-ago premiere of "True Beauty" (5.3 million and 2.0/6 on 5/31/09) in the hour by 1.8 million viewers and by 20% in Adults 18-49.
· Among Adults 18-49, "EM: Weight Loss" stands as ABC's top-rated summer series debut since August 2009 - since 7/20/09.
With coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals Game 1 between the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks, ABC finished No. 1 on Tuesday night among Adults 18-49 (4.5/13-tie). The Net also led the night with Adults 18-34 and across all key Men (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54), beating NBC with its 2-hour season premiere of "America's Got Talent" leading into "The Voice."
· Building over last year's numbers with the opening night of the high-rated 2010 Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals (Lakers-Celtics on 6/3/10) in Total Viewers (10.9 million vs. 10.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (4.5/13 vs. 4.1/14), ABC posted its best-ever primetime results with Game 1 of The Finals - ABC began carriage of the NBA Finals in 2003.
"Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night 1" (Various Time Periods)
Airing around the NBA Finals in various time periods across the country, the "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" special generated broad exposure for the ABC late-night talker in primetime. On average, "JKL Game Night" shot up by 106% in Total Viewers (3.5 million vs. 1.7 million) and by 120% in Adults 18-49 (1.1/4 vs. 0.5/3) over the show's 2010-11 TV Season average in late night.
"2011 NBA Finals on ABC Game 1" (8:59 - 11:51 p.m. E.T.)
Featuring the Dallas Mavericks at the Miami Heat, ABC's 2011 NBA Finals Game 1 beat out its primetime competition and finished as Tuesday's definitive No. 1 TV program across each of the key Adult demographics: A18-34 (6.8/21), A18-49 (6.5/18) and A25-54 (6.5/16). Miami won the opening game of the series by a score of 92-84 to lead the best-of-seven series 1-0.
· Game 1 of the 2011 Finals was up solidly over the first game of last year's Lakers-Celtics matchup in viewers (+8% - 15.2 million vs. 14.1 million) and young adults (+14% - 6.5/18 vs. 5.7/18). In addition, the 2011 opener surged by wide margins from the last time the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks met in The Finals, jumping 32% in Total Viewers and 35% in Adults 18-49 over the opening game of 2006 (11.5 million and 4.8/15 on 6/8/06).
· In Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, Game 1 of the 2011 NBA Finals qualified as the strongest start to the series in 7 years - since 2004 (Lakers-Pistons). In addition, ABC marked its highest-ever Game 1 numbers with Adults 18-34 (6.8/21) and Men 18-34 (9.0/28) - since beginning carriage in 2003.
With 6 comedy repeats throughout the night, ABC produced significantly improved year-to-year returns for ABC, jumping by 25% in Total Viewers (5.0 million vs. 4.0 million) and by 42% in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.2/4) over the same night last year (6/2/10).
"The Middle"/"The Middle" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
From 8:00-9:00 p.m., ABC's back-to-back repeats of "The Middle" defeated CBS' repeat comedies in the hour ("Mike & Molly"/"Rules of Engagement") by 13% in Total Viewers (5.3 million vs. 4.7 million) and by 27% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/5 vs. 1.1/4). In addition, the repeat airings of "The Middle" ranked No. 2 among the major nets to the Wednesday premiere of Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" in the 8 o'clock hour in Total Viewers and Adults 18-34 (1.2/4-tie).
· ABC's back-to-back "The Middle" replays built over their last airings in the hour eight weeks ago in viewers (+15%) and young adults (+8%) (4.6 million and 1.3/4 on 4/6/11).
"Modern Family"/"Modern Family" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
In the 9 o'clock hour, two encore telecasts of ABC's "Modern Family" (2.2/6) ranked No. 2 to Fox, besting an encore of CBS' "Criminal Minds" (1.5/4) by 47% in Adults 18-49 and the "NHL Stanley Cup Finals-Game 1" (1.8/5) on NBC by 22%.
· The two "Modern Family" replays tied as Wednesday's No. 1 scripted show in Adults 18-49.
"Cougar Town" (10:00-10:30 p.m.)
In the 10:00 p.m. half-hour, ABC's repeat "Cougar Town" ranked No. 2 against its network rivals in Adults 18-49, leading a repeat of CBS' "Blue Bloods" by 25% (1.5/4 vs. 1.2/3).
· Jumping 25% over its most-recent encore (1.2/4 on 12/29/10) in Adults 18-49, ABC's "Cougar Town" equaled its highest repeat number this season.
With its broadcast of the 2011 NBA Finals Game 2 (Dallas-Miami), ABC towered over Thursday's primetime, beating its closest competition by 41% in Total Viewers (11.1 million vs. 7.9 million - CBS) and by 105% in Adults 18-49 (4.5/14 vs. 2.2/7 - Fox). The Network finished No. 1 for the 2nd consecutive night with its coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals among young adults (AD18-34/AD18-49) and across all key Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54).
· In viewers and young adults, ABC scored its strongest Thursday in nearly 1 year - since 6/17/10 with Game 7 of the 2010 Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals.
"Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night 2" (Various Time Periods)
Airing around the NBA Finals in various time periods across the country, ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" special continued to produce broad exposure for the late-night show in primetime. On average, "JKL Game Night" gained 106% in Total Viewers (3.5 million vs. 1.7 million) and 100% in Adults 18-49 (1.0/3 vs. 0.5/3) over the show's 2010-11 TV Season average in late night.
· ABC's "JKL Live Game Night 2" jumped over its comparable telecast (2.5 million and 0.9/3 on 6/6/10) last year by double-digit percentages in Total Viewers (+25%) and Adults 18-49 (+11%).
"2011 NBA Finals on ABC Game 2" (8:58 - 11:52 p.m. E.T.)
Featuring the Dallas Mavericks versus the Miami Heat, ABC's 2011 NBA Finals Game 2 topped primetime competition and ranked as Thursday's No. 1 TV program in Total Viewers (15.5 million) and across each of the key Adult demographics: A18-34 (6.7/23), A18-49 (6.5/19) and A25-54 (6.6/18). It was the 2nd night in a row for the 2011 NBA Finals to register as the No. 1 TV show across the key adult categories. With come-from-behind victory deep into the 4th quarter, Dallas won Game 2 by a score of 95-93 bringing the best-of-seven series to 1-1 tie.
· Across all key Adult (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54) and Men (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54) demographics, ABC's 2011 Finals bettered or equaled its highest Game 2 ratings since 2004. In addition, ABC marked its best-ever numbers for Game 2 with Women 18-34 and Teens 12-17 - since beginning carriage in 2003.
· Game 2 was up considerably from the last time the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks met in The Finals, jumping 25% in Total Viewers and 23% in Adults 18-49 over the same game in 2006 (12.4 million and 5.3/15 on 6/11/06).
· Based on 2-game averages, the 2011 NBA Finals is up over last year's high-rated Lakers-Celtics matchup among viewers (+3% - 15.3 million vs. 14.9 million) and young adults (+7% - 6.5/19 vs. 6.1/18), tracking as the series' biggest numbers in 7 years - since 2004.
Boosted by its coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals Game 3 (Dallas-Miami), ABC took full control of Sunday's primetime, outrunning its nearest competitor by 94% in Total Viewers (12.6 million vs. 6.5 million - CBS) and beating its combined CBS, NBC and Fox competition by 43% in Adults 18-49 (5.0/15 vs. 3.5/11). In fact, the Net ran No. 1 for the 3rd straight night with its coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals among young adults (AD18-34/AD18-49) and across all key Men demos (M18-34/M18-49/M25-54).
· In viewers and young adults, ABC produced its biggest non-Oscar Sunday in almost 1 year - since 6/13/10 with Game 5 of the 2010 Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals.
"2011 NBA Finals on ABC Game 3" (7:53 - 11:00 p.m. E.T.)
ABC's 2011 NBA Finals Game 3 between Miami and Dallas dominated the primetime landscape to finish as Sunday's definitive No. 1 TV program in Total Viewers (15.3 million) and across each of the key Adult demographics: A18-34 (6.1/19), A18-49 (6.1/17) and A25-54 (6.5/17). It was the 3rd night in a row for the 2011 NBA Finals to stand as the No. 1 television show across the key adult categories. In fact among Adults 18-49, The Finals have registered as the No. 1 TV program of the night for 22 consecutive telecasts. The Miami Heat won Game 3 by a score of 88-86 to lead the best-of-seven series 2-1.
· Based on 3-game averages, the 2011 NBA Finals is trending above last year's high-rated Lakers-Celtics matchup among Total Viewers (+1% - 15.34 million vs. 15.25 million) and Adults 18-49 (+2% - 6.4/18 vs. 6.3/18), delivering the The Finals' best results in 7 years - since 2004. Versus their last matchup in 2006, the 2011 Miami-Dallas series is up sharply in Total Viewers (+27% - 15.34 million vs. 12.06 million) and Adults 18-49 (+28% - 6.4/18 vs. 5.0/15).
Source: The Nielsen Company (National, Live+ Same Day Program Ratings), week of 5/30/11, unless stated otherwise.