Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of August 8, 2011
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC Finishes as the 2nd-Most-Watched TV Network for the Week
And Stands as the Only Net to Grow its Overall Audience Year to Year
ABC Qualifies as Monday's Most-Watched Network for the 5th Straight Week
ABC's "Bachelor Pad" Opens at Series Highs in Viewers and All Key Adult Demos
"Bachelor Pad" is Monday's No. 1 TV Show in Viewers and Across Key Women
ABC's "Wipeout" Matches a Summer High on Tuesday Among Adults 18-49
ABC's "Take the Money & Run" Retains 95% of its Week-Earlier Debut
In Adults 18-49 and Grows its Slot Year to Year Against NBC's "Talent"
ABC is Up Year to Year on Wednesday for the 3rd Week in a Row in Adults 18-49
"Primetime Nightline" Pulls ABC's Top Women Numbers to its Slot Since Early July
Up Against NFL Preseason Football on Friday Night, ABC's "Karaoke Battle USA"
Debut Builds on its Lead-in and Gains Audience from its First to Second Hour
ABC Runs No. 1 on Saturday for the 2nd Straight Week Among Adults 18-49
Jumping by 1.0 Million Viewers from Last Year, ABC's "CMA Music Festival" Draws Its 2nd-Biggest Audience in 6 Years and Builds Year to Year Across Other Key Demos
ABC's "CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock" Generates the Network's
Largest Summertime Entertainment Audience in the Time Period in Nearly 5 Years
WEEK No. 47:
Despite facing a number of local-market preemptions on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, ABC stood as the 2nd-most-watched television network during the week of August 8, 2011. ABC's "CMA Music Festival" (No. 11) and "Bachelor Pad" (No. 12) both finished among the week's Top 15 most-watched TV shows. In fact, the "CMA Music Festival" shot up year to year by 1.0 million viewers to pull in its 2nd-largest audience in 6 years, and "Bachelor Pad" opened its second season at series-high numbers.
· ABC grew over the same week last year by 9% in Total Viewers (4.7 million vs. 4.3 million), qualifying as the only broadcaster to build its numbers year over year.
With "Bachelor Pad" opening its second season at series-highs, ABC finished as the most-watched network on Monday night for the 5th week in a row, leading runner-up Fox by 1.0 million viewers (7.0 million vs. 6.0 million). In fact, ABC has been Monday's most-watched net on 21 of the past 22 weeks. ABC also dominated the night across all key Women demos (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
· ABC was up over the same night last year (8/9/10), also a night of all-original programming, by 23% in Total Viewers (7.0 million vs. 5.7 million) and by 10% in Adults 18-49 (2.3/6 vs. 2.1/6).
"Bachelor Pad" (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Leading its 3-hour time period from 8:00 -11:00 p.m., ABC's 2nd-season premiere of "Bachelor Pad" emerged as the most-watched TV show overall on Monday night, as well as the No. 1 program across all key Women demos. The ABC unscripted series ranked No. 1 in 5 of 6 half-hours of the evening with viewers, and in 4 of 6 half-hours among young adults.
· Building on its year-ago series debut by 9%, "Bachelor Pad" attracted the series' largest audience ever (7.0 million). "Bachelor Pad" also achieved series-highs with Adults 18-34 (1.9/6-tie), Adults 18-49 (2.3/6), Adults 25-54 (2.7/7) and across all key Women demos (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
"Wipeout" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
At 8:00 p.m., ABC's "Wipeout" ranked second with Adults 18-49, matching the Net's best performance in the Tuesday time slot this summer. In addition, "Wipeout" equaled a summer high in Tuesday's 8 o'clock hour in Adults 18-34 (1.7/6). In fact, "Wipeout" tied its 2nd-highest numbers for an original telecast on any night this summer to date in both Adult demos. The ABC unscripted series dominated its unscripted time period competition on NBC ("It's Worth What?") by 1.8 million Total Viewers (6.2 million vs. 4.4 million) and by 82% in young adults (2.0/6 vs. 1.1/4).
· "Wipeout" finished as the No. 1 broadcast program in the hour with Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11 for the 2nd week in a row.
"Take the Money & Run" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Against the opening hour of NBC's "America's Got Talent" from 9:00-10:00 p.m., ABC's "Take the Money & Run" retained a strong 95% of its week-earlier debut in Adults 18-49, while holding 100% in Adults 18-34. In addition, the new ABC series grew week to week by 6% in Men 18-49 and by 11% in Men 25-54 to produce ABC's highest numbers in the time slot in 7 weeks - since 6/21/11.
· "Take the Money & Run" built on its lead-in by 15% in Men 18-34, marking the show's 2nd straight week of lead-in gains.
· "Take the Money & Run" boosted the 9 o'clock hour for ABC year to year by a substantial 31% in Total Viewers (4.7 million vs. 3.6 million) and by 29% in Adults 18-49 (1.8/5 vs. 1.4/4), topping the year-ago night with original programming ("Shaq Vs." on 8/10/10).
With 4 comedy repeats and the ABC special "Primetime Nightline: Celebrity Secrets," ABC was up year to year for the 3rd consecutive Wednesday in Adults 18-49, growing over the year-ago evening (8/11/10) by 9% in the key adult demo (1.2/4 vs. 1.1/3).
"Modern Family-Wed 8:30PM" (8:30-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's replay "Modern Family" produced its most-watched repeat (4.5 million) at 8:30 p.m. this summer, generating the Net's largest audience in the half-hour in 10 weeks - since 6/1/11.
"Modern Family" (9:00-9:31 p.m.)
ABC's repeat "Modern Family" defeated CBS' replay "Criminal Minds" by 23% in Adults 18-49 (1.6/5 vs. 1.3/4) to qualify as Wednesday's No. 1 scripted show on the broadcast nets in young adults.
· At 9:00 p.m., "Modern Family" produced its most-watched repeat telecast (4.8 million) and matched its highest young adult rating in over 2 months - since 6/1/11. In addition, the ABC sophomore comedy was up over its year-ago rebroadcast by 23% in viewers and by 23% in young adults (3.9 million and 1.3/4 on 8/11/10).
"Primetime Nightline: Celebrity Secrets" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's special "Primetime Nightline: Celebrity Secrets" improved on the previous week's performance in the 10 o'clock hour ("Primetime Nightline: Beyond Belief") by 13% in Women 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.5/4) and by 5% in Women 25-54 (2.3/6 vs. 2.2/6) to mark ABC's best numbers in the hour since early July - since 7/6/11. In addition, the ABC newsmagazine ranked No. 1 in the hour in both key Women demos.
· "Primetime Nightline: Celebrity Secrets" grew over its most-recent airing in the hour two weeks ago ("Primetime Nightline: Celebrity Secrets - Hollywood Moms" on 7/27/11) by 20% in Total Viewers (4.2 million vs. 3.5 million), by 30% in Adults 18-49 (1.3/4 vs. 1.0/3), by 31% in Adults 25-54 (1.7/4 vs. 1.3/3) and across key Women.
"Karaoke Battle USA" (9:00-11:00 p.m.)
Up against Fox's NFL preseason game (Tampa Bay-Kansas City), the series premiere of ABC's "Karaoke Battle USA" built on its lead-in among Total Viewers (+2%), Women 18-49 (+9%), Teens 12-17 (+60%) and Kids 2-11 (+50%).
· ABC's "Karaoke Battle USA" saw its audience grow from its first hour to its second hour by 2% in Total Viewers and by 11% in Adults 18-49.
With the rebroadcast of "Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix" from 8:00-11:00 p.m., ABC ran as the No. 1 network on Saturday night in Adults 18-49 (0.9/3) for the 2nd week in a row, beating Fox by 13% (0.8/3), CBS by 29% (0.7/3) and NBC by 50% (0.6/2). The Net also qualified as the night's top-rated broadcaster in Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11 for the 4th straight week.
· Growing over the prior week's movie ("Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire") by 11% in Total Viewers and by 13% in Adults 18-49, "Order of the Phoenix" marked ABC's best Saturday Night Movie in 3 weeks - since 7/23/11.
Opposite mostly original competition during its 8:00-11:00 p.m. telecast on CBS ("Big Brother"/"Same Name"), NBC ("Minute to Win It"/season finale of "Marriage Ref") and Fox (series debut of "In the Flow with Affion Crockett"), ABC's "CMA Music Festival" more than tripled its lead-in (+218% in Total Viewers/+240% in Adults 18-49) to draw an average audience of 7.0 million viewers and finish as the most-watched program in its 3-hour time period. The special also ranked No. 1 in its time slot against its broadcast rivals with Women 18-34 (1.6/5).
· Building young adult audience in each hour of its broadcast, ABC's broadcast of the "CMA Music Festival: Country's Night to Rock" moved into first place during its final hour from 10:00-11:00 p.m., topping the season closer of NBC's "Marriage Ref" by 100% in Adults 18-49 (1.8/5 vs. 0.9/2) and CBS' "Big Brother"-led "Same Name" by 20% (1.5/4).
· ABC's "CMA Music Festival" jumped over last year's telecast by 1 million viewers (+17% - 7.0 million vs. 6.0 million on Wednesday, 9/1/10), drawing its 2nd-largest audience in 6 years - since 2005. The broad appealing show was also up year over year with Men 18-49 (+8%), Men 25-54 (+19%), Adults 25-54 (+10%), Teens 12-17 (+29%) and Kids 2-11 (+50% - a 7-year high).
· The "CMA Music Festival" generated ABC's biggest summertime numbers in the time period with entertainment programming in nearly 5 years with Total Viewers (7.0 million), and in more than 3 years with Adults 18-49 (1.7/4) - since 8/27/06 and 7/6/08, respectively.
Source: The Nielsen Company (National, Live+ Same Day Program Ratings), week of 8/8/11, unless stated otherwise.