Quick Take for Tuesday, December 27, 2011
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)
With an All Repeat Line-up, ABC Runs in a Near Tie for No. 1 on Tuesday in Adults 18-49 and Posts Double-Digit Week-to-Week and Year-to-Year Gains
Tuesday's No. 1 Comedy in Viewers and Young Adults, Back-to-Back
Replays of ABC's "Last Man Standing" Dominate Fox's Comedy Encores
Marking Their Most-Watched Repeats on the Night, ABC's "The Middle"
and "Suburgatory" Rank No. 1 in Their Time Slots in Adults 18-49
With its Strongest-Ever Repeat Performance, ABC's "Body of Proof" is No. 1 at 10pm
Tuesday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Featuring comedy encores from 8:00-10:00 p.m. and a repeat drama at 10:00 p.m., ABC came in as the 2nd-most-watched TV network on Tuesday night (5.1 million) to CBS, outdrawing NBC's all-original schedule by 89% (2.7 million) and Fox's repeat comedy line-up by 104% (2.5 million). In addition, ABC ran in a near-tie for first place on the night among Adults 18-49 with CBS (1.3/4 vs. 1.4/4 - pacing within 1-tenth of a rating point and tied in audience share).
· The Net scored double-digit week-to-week gains with viewers (+11%) and young adults (+18%) and also grew over the same night last year by 42% in Total Viewers and by 30% in Adults 18-49 (3.6 million and 1.0/3 on 12/28/10).
"Last Man Standing/Last Man Standing" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
During the 8 o'clock hour, back-to-back replays of ABC's "Last Man Standing" earned second place with Total Viewers, outdrawing the overall audience of Fox's encore "Glee" by 168% (5.9 million vs. 2.2 million). The broad-appealing comedy also came in second versus its network rivals in the hour in Adults 18-49 (1.5/4), Men 18-49 and Women 18-49, while topping its net rivals in Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11.
· ABC's "Last Man Standing" finished as Tuesday's No. 1 comedy for the 2nd straight week. Both episodes of "Last Man"(6.1 million and 1.5/4 at 8:00 p.m. and 5.7 million and 1.5/4 at 8:30 p.m.) towered over encores of Fox's "Glee"(2.2 million and 0.7/2) at 8:00 p.m., "New Girl" (2.8 million and 1.0/3) at 9:00 p.m. and "Raising Hope" (2.7 million and 0.9/2) at 9:30 p.m. with Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
"The Middle" (9:00-9:30 p.m.)
In the 9 o'clock half-hour, ABC's repeat "The Middle" ranked No. 1 against its network rivals in Adults 18-49 (1.4/4), beating CBS' special presentation of "The 34th Annual Kennedy Center Honors" by 8% (1.3/4), Fox's replay "New Girl" by 40% (1.0/3) and NBC's "The Biggest Loser 12: Where Are They Now?"by 56% (0.9/2). The repeat ABC sitcom won its half-hour in key Women (W18-49/W25-54).
· "The Middle" was up over the prior week's repeat in the time slot by 12% in Total Viewers and by 8% in Adults 18-49, marking its most-watched repeat on the night this season.
"Suburgatory" (9:30-10:00 p.m.)
At 9:30 p.m., ABC's replay "Suburgatory" led its network rivals in Adults 18-49 (1.2/3), beating its repeat comedy competition on Fox by 33% ("Raising Hope" = 0.9/2) and original programming on both CBS and NBC by 20% each (1.0/3). Like its lead-in, "Suburgatory" ranked No. 1 in its half-hour in Women 18-49 and Women 25-54.
· The freshman comedy posted sizable double-digit gains over its week-ago repeat in viewers (+24%) and young adults (+20%) to deliver its most-watched Tuesday repeat of the season.
"Body of Proof" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's repeat "Body of Proof" was the No. 1 program in the 10 o'clock hour in Adults 18-49 (1.1/3) and key Women (W18-49/W25-54). In addition, the ABC drama more than doubled NBC's replay drama ("Parenthood") in Total Viewers (+155% - 5.1 million vs. 2.0 million).
· "Body of Proof" grew week to week by 11% in Total Viewers and by 38% in Adults 18-49 to turn in its best-ever repeat numbers.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 43% currently, from 38% at the same point in 2010. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 12/27/11.