* Currently available fast-affiliate ratings are not time
zone-adjusted and typically understate live NFL telecasts.
* In time zone-adjusted metered-market results, NBC's
Cowboys-Redskins game delivered the highest overnights in the seven-year history of NBC's "Sunday Night Football," with an 18.3 rating, 30 share in metered-market households from 8:30-11:30 p.m. ET. The game was #1 in its time period and #1 for the night in the metered markets.
* The 18.3 rating is the best metered-market household rating for
any primetime regular-season NFL game in 15 years (since Monday, Dec.
15, 1997, Broncos-49ers, 19.6/33, ABC).
* Top markets for last night's game are: Washington 44.6/68,
Richmond 42.8/60, Norfolk 37.1/53, Dallas 36.9/55, San Antonio 28.4/44, Austin 28.4/48 and Albuquerque 27.6/41. Washington's 44.6 is the best primetime regular-season NFL rating for the D.C. market in Nielsen People Meter history (since September 1987).
* Though fast-affiliate ratings are subject to significant upward
adjustment for "Sunday Night Football," they currently show NBC dominating Sunday night in all key categories: adults, men and women 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 plus total viewers.
NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.
COWBOYS-REDSKINS SCORES BEST-EVER OVERNIGHT FOR NFL REGULAR-SEASON PRIMETIME GAME ON NBC
18.3/30 Tops ALL Sunday Night Football Broadcasts Plus All Other NBC Primetime NFL Games
Best NFL Regular-Season Primetime Overnight on ANY Network in 15 Years
Best Overnight for any Cowboys-Redskins Primetime Matchup in 19 Years
Washington D.C. Market Drew 44.6/68 Rating, Best Ever for NFL Regular-Season Primetime Game (Since Nielsen People Meters in 1987)
NEW YORK - December 31, 2012 - Last night's Cowboys-Redskins game on Sunday Night Football is the highest-rated NFL regular-season primetime game ever on NBC, and the highest-rated NFL regular-season primetime game on ANY network in 15 years, according to overnight data released today by The Nielsen Company. The game also generated the best overnight rating for any Cowboys-Redskins primetime matchup in 19 years. The Washington D.C. market had its best rating ever for a primetime NFL game.
Sunday's game on NBC, in which the Redskins defeated the Cowboys, 28-18, to win the NFC East, drew an 18.3 overnight rating and a 30 share, seven percent higher than last year's Week 17 game (Cowboys-Giants 17.1/27), which was also a win-and-in game to determine the winner of the NFC East. Last night's game topped the previous-best NFL regular-season primetime overnight on NBC (18.0/29 for the 2012 Week 1 matchup between the Steelers and Broncos).
Other Ratings Notes:
· The Washington D.C market has its best overnight rating (44.6/68) for a regular-season primetime game in the history of Nielsen People Meters (since 1987), topping the previous high of 43.0/63 for Cowboys-Redskins, Sept. 6, 1993 on ABC).
· Best overnight rating for any regular-season primetime game on ANY network in 15 years (Broncos-49ers, 19.3/30, Dec. 15, 1997 on ABC).
· Best overnight rating for an NFL primetime regular-season final game in 18 years (19.6/33 for 49ers-Vikings, Dec. 26, 1994 on ABC).
· Best overnight for a Cowboys-Redskins primetime matchup in 19 years (20.7/34 on Sept 6, 1993 on ABC).
NOTE: Official national ratings and viewership will be available on Thursday.
BEST OVERNIGHT NFL REGULAR-SEASON PRIMETIME GAMES ON NBC:
1. 18.3/30 Cowboys-Redskins, 12/30/12
2. 18.0/29 Steelers- Broncos, 9/9/12
3. 17.7/28 Vikings-Saints, 9/9/10*
4. 17.2/28 Saints-Packers, 9/8/11*
5. 17.1/27 Cowboys-Giants, 1/1/12
6. 16.9/27 Cowboys-Jets, 9/11/11
T7. 16.5/27 Giants-Cowboys, 9/20/09
T7. 16.5/26 Cowboys-Giants, 9/5/12
T7. 16.5/25 Eagles-Cowboys, 12/12/10
10. 16.4/26 Cowboys-Redskins, 9/12/10
* NFL Kickoff Games
TOP 10 METERED MARKETS FOR COWBOYS-REDSKINS:
1. Washington D.C. 44.6/68
2. Richmond 42.8/60
3. Norfolk 37.1/53
4. Dallas 36.9/55
T5. San Antonio 28.4/44
T5. Austin 28.4/48
7. Albuquerque 27.6/41
8. Baltimore 23.9/35
T9. Greensboro 23.6/35
T9. New Orleans 23.6/32