Ratings Highlights for Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Final National Ratings
"Pretty Little Liars" Skyrockets to Biggest Summer Finale on Record in Total Viewers and All Target Demos; Is the 'Most Social' Series Episode in TV History, Amassing Nearly 1.9 Million Tweets with Spikes up to 70,000 per Minute
"Twisted's" Summer Finale is the Series' #2 Telecast on Record, Hitting 10-Week Highs in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Target Females 18-34, 18-49 and 12-34;
Summer's #2 New Cable TV Series in Females 12-34, Behind "The Fosters"
"Pretty Little Liars" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
At 8 o'clock, the summer finale of "Pretty Little Liars" set season highs across the board, ranking as the series' biggest summer finale on record in Total Viewers (3.3 million), Adults 18-34 (1.4 million/2.1 rating), Women 18-34 (1.2 million/3.5 rating), Adults 18-49 (1.8 million/1.4 rating), Women 18-49 (1.5 million/2.3 rating), Viewers 12-34 (2.3 million/2.5 rating) and Females 12-34 (2.0 million/4.4 rating), and becoming the #2 finale ever of its seven finales to date in target 18-34s and 18-49s. In fact, the 4A season closer became the series' #3 telecast of all time in Women 18-34 and Women 18-49, and is now the #4 telecast in ABC Family history among young Women.
Impressively, "Pretty Little Liars" qualified as Tuesday's #1 TV telecast in Adults 18-34, Women 18-34, Women 18-49 and core Millennials and cable TV's #1 telecast in Prime in Adults 18-49.
Breaking its own social media records, the "Now You See Me, Now You Don't" shocking season finale, became the #1 "most tweeted" series episode in TV history, accruing nearly 1.9 million tweets by 637,000 unique contributors, spiking at 70,000 per minute in the show's final minute.
(SocialGuide, -3/+3 window) [Editors: Please also see attached infographic for additional details]
According to SocialGuide: "The "Pretty Little Liars'" summer finale set a record on Tuesday as the #1 most social series episode of all time. Beating their own best-ever episode, last night's summer finale generated more than 1,890,000 tweets for the hour-long episode. Conversations sustained an average of 10,000 tweets per minute, with spikes up to 70,000 tweets per minute. The show consistently ranked as one of the top 10 most social series on Twitter throughout the 2013 summer season."
Jenn Deering Davis, Co-Founder of Union Metrics said: "ABC Family's 'Pretty Little Liars' is a 'pretty' big social media juggernaut. During the summer finale last night, we saw 38 unique topics trend in the U.S. and worldwide, with "Ezra Is A" still trending nearly 12 hours later. 'Pretty Little Liars' kept the conversation going, and fans engaged throughout the hour-long episode. We also saw immediate traction for 'Ravenswood', the 'PLL' spin-off series that was promoted during the episode, setting it up as a future social media powerhouse of its own."
Feeding into the fans' insatiable social appetite, on August 18, the series began counting down the Top 10 most shocking reveals in "Pretty Little Liars" history, posting one moment each day on all "PLL" social media platforms. After the jaw dropping moment aired, fans immediately tweeted their #PLLReaction photos, which were then included into a photo mosaic, tying into the big reveal. The photo mosaic launched this morning on the "Pretty Little Liars" Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/prettylittleliars/app_620788181286540. It's live at http://pllreactions.com/.
· "Pretty Little Liars" ranked as TV's #1 telecast in the hour for the 12th consecutive week in Women 18-34 and Females 12-34 - each week this season - and was the #1 cable TV telecast for the 12th week in a row in Adults 18-34, Women 18-49 and Viewers 12-34.
· "Pretty Little Liars" ranked as TV's #1 series of Summer 2013 in Females 12-34 (2.2 million/4.9 rating), Teens 12-17 (943,000/3.9 rating) and Female Teens (877,000/7.5 rating), as cable TV's #1 series in Women 18-34 (1.3 million/4.0 rating) and the #1 scripted basic cable TV series in Women 18-49 (1.7 million/2.7 rating)
· Based on L+ 3 ratings, "Pretty Little Liars" Season 4A is ABC Family's best season for any original series in the network's history in Adults 18-34 (1.6 million/2.4 rating), Women 18-34 (1.3 million/4.0 rating), Adults 18-49 (2.1 million/1.6 rating) and Women 18-49 (1.7 million/2.7 rating), out of its 43 original series to date.
· Based on available full-week DVR viewing numbers, "Pretty Little Liars" soars by nearly
1.5 million Total Viewers (+60% - 2.5 million to 4.0 million) and by more than 1 million Viewers 12-34 (+65% - 1.7 million to 2.8 million), and spikes by a hefty +64% in both Adults 18-34 (1.1 million to 1.8 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.4 million to 2.3 million).
· Moreover, in addition to linear viewing, "Pretty Little Liars" adds nearly 1.7 million total views per episode through Apps, set-top box VOD, ABCF.com, and Hulu through its first seven days.
"Twisted" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
The summer finale of "Twisted" ranked as the series' #2 telecast of the season in Total Viewers (1.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (743,000/0.6 rating), and across core female demos Women 18-34 (476,000/1.4 rating), Women 18-49 (673,000/1.1 rating) and Females 12-34 (905,000/2.0 rating).
At 9 o'clock, "Twisted" stood as cable TV's #1 telecast in the hour for the 11th consecutive original telecast in Females 12-34 and Female Teens (429,000/3.6 rating), and was cable TV's #1 telecast for the 5th time this season in Women 18-34.
· "Twisted" wrapped as the summer's #2 new cable TV series in Females 12-34 (1.1 million/2.5 rating) and Female Teens (557,000/4.7 rating), behind only "The Fosters."
· Based on available full-week DVR viewing levels, "Twisted" surges by 47% in Total Viewers (1.5 million to 2.2 million), by 51% in Adults 18-34 (484,000 to 733,000), by 63% in Adults 18-49 (675,000 to 1.1 million) and by 39% in Viewers 12-34 (935,000 to 1.3 million).
· In addition to linear viewing, "Twisted" adds more than 750,000 total views per episode through Apps, set-top box VOD, ABCF.com, and Hulu.
Source: NTI Live + Same Day, 8/27/13; Summer: 5/27/13-8/25/13, most current trackage data. L+3: 6/11/13-8/21/13. L+7 vs. L+SD: 06/11/13-08/11/13.