ABC Opens 2012 with TV's 3 Biggest Time-Shifted Gainers
Live + 7 Day Ratings for the week of 1/2/12 (Week #16):
Based on Nielsen's DVR playback during the first complete week of 2012, ABC's claimed the 3 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing in Adults 18-49, with Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy and Once Upon a Time. In fact, for its 9th straight original telecast, Modern Family registered as the week's biggest gainer in both Total Viewers and young adults.
· Based on Nielsen's final ratings, ABC's Modern Family (8.1 rating), Grey's Anatomy (6.1) and Once Upon a Time (5.0) solidified their ranks as TV's #1 scripted show/comedy, #1 drama and #1 freshman drama, respectively. In fact, the ABC comedy picked up an additional 2.4 rating points in the Live + 7 Day statistics to increase its advantage over runner-up CBS' Two and A Half Men to more than 2.0 rating points (+2.3 rating points - 8.1 vs. 5.8).
· Among Adults 18-49, ABC delivered 5 of the Top 10 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing (the most for any network), with each show picking up more than 1.0 rating point over their first-reported Live + Same Day numbers: Modern Family (+2.4 rating - 5.7 to 8.1), Grey's Anatomy (+1.6 rating - 4.5 to 6.1), Once Upon a Time (+1.3 rating - 3.7 to 5.0), Private Practice (+1.1 rating - 2.7 to 3.8) and Revenge (+1.1 rating - 2.5 to 3.6).
· Impressively, ABC had 7 shows gain more than 2 million viewers from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing: Modern Family (+4.85 million), Body of Proof (+3.03 million), Grey's Anatomy (+2.97 million), Once Upon a Time (+2.86 million), Revenge (+2.67 million), Private Practice (+2.18 million) and Desperate Housewives (+2.02 million).
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/19/11-1/8/12):
On average for the 2011-12 season, ABC's Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy are the season's Top 2 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing among Adults 18-49 (picking up 2.4 rating points and 1.6 rating points, respectively). Modern Family is also the season's biggest overall gainer among Total Viewers (+4.73 million).
· With Modern Family (8.1 rating) and Grey's Anatomy (5.4), ABC claims the season's #1 program and #1 drama, respectively, based on original telecasts in the key young adult demo.
· In addition, Disney-owned Once Upon a Time (4.7) and ABC's Revenge (3.7) are the Top 2 new dramas of the season for originals in Adults 18-49, picking up an additional 1.1 rating points and 1.0 rating point, respectively, in the Live + 7 numbers.
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original, regular telecasts only.