Sunday Results (accurate fast nationals for the Super Bowl and "The Voice" are expected later today -- please note that the fast affiliate ratings issued by Nielsen at 11 a.m. ET/ 8 a.m. PT are subject to major upward revision because they're not time zone-adjusted, while the fast nationals later today will be time zone-adjusted):
· NBC's coverage of Super Bowl XLVI, aired live in all time zones and currently available fast affiliate-based ratings are not time zone-adjusted and dramatically understate the telecast's ratings
· Super Bowl XLVI in which the New York Giants defeated the New England Patriots 21-17, earned a 47.8/71 overnight rating/share last night on NBC, the third-highest overnight rating in Super Bowl history and less than one percent off the highest (47.9 for both Super Bowl XLV and Super Bowl XXI), according to overnight data released today by The Nielsen Company.
· The 47.8/71 is seven percent higher than Super Bowl XLII on Fox when the Giants defeated the Patriots 17-14.
· The overnight rating is 14 percent higher than the last Super Bowl on NBC (Super Bowl XLIII, Steelers 27, Cardinals 23) and higher than any of NBC's previous 11 Super Bowls in which there were metered markets.
· Tops all other Super Bowls involving the Giants and Patriots in Nielsen People Meter History (Since 1988).
· The second season premiere of "The Voice" averaged a 19.4/33 in metered-market household figures from 10:15-11:30 p.m. ET, up 120 percent versus the biggest metered-market household rating for "The Voice" last season (8.8/14 on May 31, 2011). Last season, "The Voice" debuted with a 7.5/12 on April 26, 2011 in metered-market households and the series averaged a 7.6/12. Time zone-adjusted national ratings for last night's telecast of "The Voice" are due from Nielsen later today
· "The Voice" is up 27 percent in metered-market households versus last year's 15.3/27 for Fox's post-Super Bowl telecast of "Glee."
TOP 5 SUPER BOWL OVERNIGHTS OF ALL TIME:
T1. 47.9/71 - Super Bowl XLV, Packers 31-Steelers 25, Fox
T1. 47.9/68 - Super Bowl XXI, Giants 39-Broncos 20, CBS
3. 47.8/71 - Super Bowl XLVI, Giants 21-Patriots 17, NBC
4. 47.4/NA - Super Bowl XIV, Steelers 31-Rams 19, CBS
5. 46.9/70 - Super Bowl XX, Bears 46-Patriots 10, NBC
RATING GROWS THROUGHOUT THE GAME: The rating grew throughout the game and peaked at a 51.8/73 from 9:30-10 p.m. ET in the fourth quarter when Eli Manning led the Giants on a game-winning drive.
HALF HOURS (Times ET):
FINAL HALF HOUR OF PRE-GAME SHOW BEST SINCE '03: From 6-6:30, the Super Bowl XLVI Pre-Game show drew a 34.5 overnight rating, two percent higher than last year and the best for the final half-hour of the pre-game show since Super Bowl XXXVII (35.3 on ABC). Total pre-game (2-6:30) registered a 12.0/23 just two percent off from last year's (12.2/23) and two percent higher than the last NBC Super Bowl (11.8/23 for Super Bowl XLIII).
· The halftime performance by Madonna (8-8:30), earned a 48.1/72 overnight, one percent ahead of last year's 8-8:30 time period featuring the Black Eyed Peas (47.4/70) and 20 percent higher than NBC's last Super Bowl with Bruce Springsteen (40.2/62).
The post-game (10-10:15) registered a 35.3/54, 17 percent higher than last year's 30.3 for Super Bowl XLV in Fox.
BOSTON SETS LOCAL MARKET RECORD: The rating in Boston was the best ever for an NFL game in that market (56.7/81) topping the previous high of 56.1/78 for Super Bowl XXXVI (56.1/78 on Fox).
· The New York market registered a 49.7/74, the second-highest overnight for an NFL game in that market, trailing only the 53.4/72 for Super Bowl XXI, the Giants first-ever Super Bowl. By comparison, New York registered a 44.9/67 for Super Bowl XLII, the last time they were in the big game.
· The host market of Indianapolis registered a 56.4/79 overnight rating, the second-best overnight for a host market only trailing Jacksonville (58.9/77) for Super Bowl XXXIX).
TOP 10 METERED MARKETS FOR SUPER BOWL XLVI:
1. Boston, 56.7/81
2. Indianapolis, 56.4/79
3. Norfolk, 54.2/73
4. Columbus, 54.1/72
5. New Orleans, 54.0/72
T6. Nashville, 53.5/74
T6. Jacksonville, 53.5/70
8. Buffalo, 52.9/72
9. Kansas City, 52.1/73
10. Milwaukee, 52.0/73
*New York ranked 18th with a 49.7/74
When Fast National data is available from Nielsen this afternoon, the viewership could approach last year's 111.0 million that watched Super Bowl XLV, the most-watched Super Bowl ever, and the most-watched television audience in U.S. history.
*Note, the "fast affiliate" data that is available later this morning does NOT reflect live audience for the Super Bowl across the country.
*Overnight ratings measure the top 56 U.S. metered markets.
NOTE: All national ratings are "live plus same day" unless otherwise indicated. Metered-market household ratings are live only.