Live + 7 Day Ratings: ABC's "Modern Family" Leapfrogs Over CBS' "Big Bang" and NBC's "Sunday Night Football"
Live + 7 Day Ratings for the week of 10/22/12 (Week #5):
Based on Live + 7 Day ratings in Adults 18-49, ABC's Modern Family (7.3 rating) moved ahead of CBS' The Big Bang Theory (7.2) and NBC's Sunday Night Football (7.0) to emerge as TV's #1 broadcast show of the week. Initially in the Live + Same Day statistics, Modern Family ranked as TV's #4 series of the week in the young adult demo. In addition, the ABC sitcom increased its advantage over NBC's The Voice to two full rating points in the final L+7 numbers (7.3 vs. 5.3).
Picking up +1.9 rating points in the Live + 7 numbers, ABC's Grey's Anatomy jumped over CBS' NCIS (4.4) and Criminal Minds (4.3) to tie ABC's Once Upon a Time as the #1 broadcast drama of the week with Adults 18-49 (4.9).
· Based on Nielsen's DVR playback data for the week, Modern Family registered as the biggest actual gainer in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 for the 2nd week running and increased its DVR gains week to week, adding on +4.81 million viewers and +2.4 rating points to its originally reported Live + Same Day numbers.
· Impressively, ABC claimed the 5 biggest drama gainers on the broadcast networks in Adults 18-49 with Grey's Anatomy (+1.9 rating points), Once Upon a Time (+1.5 rating points), Revenge (+1.3 rating points), Nashville (+1.2 rating points) and Private Practice (+1.2 rating points).
· ABC's freshman Nashville stood as the biggest new series gainer, growing its Adult 18-49 number by +1.2 rating points (+60%) to deliver a 3.2 rating in the Live +7 numbers. The new ABC drama continued to top the DVR gains of NBC's competing rookie drama in Wednesday's 10 o'clock hour, Chicago Fire (+0.9 rating points).
· Among Adults 18-49, ABC delivered 6 of the Top 10 biggest gainers (the most for any network), with each show adding on at least +1.2 rating points over their first-reported Live + Same Day numbers: Modern Family (+2.4 rating - 4.9 to 7.3), Grey's Anatomy (+1.9 rating - 3.0 to 4.9), Once Upon a Time (+1.5 rating - 3.4 to 4.9), Revenge (+1.3 rating - 2.7 to 4.0), Nashville (+1.2 rating - 2.0 to 3.2) and Private Practice (+1.2 rating - 1.4 to 2.6).
· For the 2nd week in a row, ABC had 8 shows gain more than 2.00 million viewers from their initially reported totals via DVR playback: Modern Family (+4.81 million), Grey's Anatomy (+3.97 million), Revenge (+3.14 million), Once Upon a Time (+3.11 million), Nashville (+2.82 million), Private Practice (+2.50 million), Scandal (+2.28 million) and Last Resort (+2.18 million).
Please note: ABC's Castle was pre-empted during the week for the Presidential debate.
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/24/12-10/28/12):
On average for the 2012-13 season to date, ABC's Modern Family is the season's biggest gainer via DVR playback among Adults 18-49, picking up +2.2 rating points. ABC's Nashville adds on +1.3 rating points over its Live + Same Day number, standing as the season's #2 new show in DVR gains.
· With Modern Family (7.2 rating) and Grey's Anatomy (5.4), ABC claims this season's #1 scripted series/comedy and #1 broadcast drama, respectively, in the key young adult demo. In fact, Modern Family leads CBS' The Big Bang Theory (6.8) to stand as the #1 entertainment program this season to date and is within 3-tenths of a rating point of NBC's Sunday Night Football (7.5) to qualify as the #1 program overall.
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original telecasts only.